Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Indianapolis, IN, USA, '78 GS750EC in progress, 15K miles

Hello all -
    First I want to say _thank you_ to everyone and to the host/owner/creator of this site. It's been invaluable to me (and yes, I'll donate too in my progress rebuilding a my GS750E.

14850269904_55215e849d_k.jpg

About me:
    Software Developer, Builder, Breaker, Fixer, I love to work on things and fix them - from old Gottlieb System 1 pinball machines to Ghostscript bugs. I'm the dad of two daughters, and I'm finally starting to _actually_ enjoy my GS750E.

The bike:
    I bought it from my dad after it sat in his barn for 5+(?) years, and he bought it from the original owner who parked it and let it set for about a decade. I think he was older and dropped it once (not an at speed drop, I think a "fall over") and then just let it sit.

Over the last few years I've...
    1. Rebuilt the carbs. Still ran rough and waaaay to rich, debated about the needle position but lost the battle with the person trying to help me work on them.
    2. Ran with the headlights off a lot. Bought a new stator and rectifier from ElectroSport.
    3. Twiddled with the carb pilot screws trying to make things better, ran with the choke on a lot to balance it out the air mixture, still ran like a dog, kept ignoring number 1 above.
    4. a few months ago I was stuck on a two hour conference call so I decided to pop the take up, and stop ignoring what I though back at 1 above. Replaced the air filter (not with pods, just a K&N drop/screw in replacement with orig air box), dropped the jet needle another (to the last) notch, and after the call I took it out on a test drive. It was still sluggish and then it started chuffing a little, I'd thought it wasn't really firing (correctly) on all four cylinders, and when I gave the throttle more love to investigate the chuffing

-- WOOSH --

I nearly slid off the seat when everything stopped being stubborn and took off. It felt (an exaggeration in my mind, I imagine, but still) like the 2001 Yamaha R6 I used to own. My heart rate went up a bit and started to really explore the bike, now it was getting fun.

5. Immediately decided it was time to replace the rear pads that were squeaking and bleed the brakes.

6. this weekend, I decided to get off my a** and change the stator, was reminded what terrible Phillips head screws seized in an aluminum block were like. After munging 3 heads (properly using an impact driver), and resigning myself to using a cold chisel to drive them loose, I got it changed (some wiring threading issues due to some previous owner/mechanic stuffing some of the other wires in the wrong channel, all into one), changed the stator, got my collection of M6-1.0 35mm, 40mm, and 45mm socket head cap machine screws, put everything back together, (put a nice charge back on the battery while I was at it), and now I've noticed it running decidedly better with plenty of juice to go around.

I'm currently running lights all the time trying to see if the stator (I'm sure it will) stays up and even push button starting it a lot just to use up juice. I prefer to kick start it because I generally get it running on one kick, but this is all about taxing the electrics for me at this point.

What's left:
    Front forks: I notice they aren't dampened enough and some fluid has been coming out of (I think) the top of the telescoping part of the suspension, not sure how much fun those will be to take off/fix or if it's worthwhile, still need to research this - but obviously I need to deal with it.

New tires (or tyres)

I may save and replace the seat, it's original and doesn't have a tear in it, but I see it's trying to come apart in a two inch section up top. Anyone still reading and have any experience with the MotorcycleSeatsDirect [dot] com people? I'm assuming these are shipped from SE Asia/China, and that's always fun when things don't work out.

This winter I'm going to get the tank (and maybe the tail if I keep the existing seat config and just get a cover to protect it) dents pulled (only a few) sand it down and paint it with at least a nod to the original design. I'll probably replace the valve cover gasket just to get in and do it, and I'm sure more and more as I move along.

Welcome to the forum from a fellow "hoosier". That's a nice introduction and history (so far) of your bike. More pictures are always welcome.
    1978 GS1000E
    1980 GS1000S (Wes Cooley Replica)
    1981 GS1100E
    1982 GS1100E
    1982 GS1000SZ
    1983 GS1100ED
    1983 GS1100ESD
    1978 Honda CB750K
    1981 Honda CB900F

Comment

Hey, another software dev. Welcome!
      Charles
      --
      1979 Suzuki GS850G

Read BassCliff's GSR Greeting and Mega-Welcome!

Comment

Welcome from Fort Wayne, IN. Did you go to Moto GP or Motorcycles on Meridian this past weekend? Great time! The fork seals on your bike are worth doing and not too big of a deal for a competent home wrench. Good luck!
        1982 1100G - 1979 1000SN Cooley #703 - 1982 Kawasaki ELR#337 - 1982 Katana 1000SZ (X3) #769, #872, #1963 - 1983 1100E mid-night blue (X2) - Ducati 907ie - 1976 GT750 Bad Buffalo

Comment

Originally posted by viperg View Post
          Did you go to Moto GP or Motorcycles on Meridian this past weekend?
          Unfortunately no, that was the weekend I decided to change the stator because I'd driven home from an Indy Eleven (soccer team) game mid-week with my bike struggling to keep the headlamp lit, and running at the same time

I plan on fully embracing it next year.

Comment

Welcome to the funhouse and a gold star for you for the proper introduction. Good luck and enjoy.
            sigpic
            When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
            -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
            -Rusty old scooter.
            Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
            https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
            https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

Originally posted by ottoflux View Post
              [ATTACH=CONFIG]35905[/ATTACH]

Otto, Welcome to GSR.

Thanks for introduction and thanks for photo.
              Looks like good original stock paint.

Are some other fine GSR members in Indy area.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
              GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Originally posted by Redman View Post
                Otto, Welcome to GSR.

Thanks for introduction and thanks for photo.
                Looks like good original stock paint.

Are some other fine GSR members in Indy area.

Don't know if I'm in "Fine" standing, but I am an Indy-area member.

With a serious bike problem right now. Too many and another on the way.

I'm the "Duggar family" of old UJMs.
                sigpic

SUZUKI:
                1978 GS1000E; 1980 GS1000G; 1982 GS650E; 1982 GS1100G; 1982 GS1100E; 1985 GS700ES
                HONDA: 1981 CB900F Super Sport
                KAWASAKI: 1981 KZ550A-2; 1984 ZX750A-2 (aka GPZ750); 1984 KZ700A-1
                YAMAHA: 1983 XJ750RK Seca

Free speech is the foundation of an open society. Each time a society bans a word or phrase it deems “offensive”, it chips away at that very foundation upon which it was built.

Comment

Originally posted by Griffin View Post
                  Don't know if I'm in "Fine" standing, .....
                  fine, yes, active, knowledgeable, helpful, yes

hum ... , "fine" makes me think of "course", and makes me think of what jokes I could make there.
                  har har har
                  Last edited by Redman; 08-17-2014, 08:56 AM.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
                  GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

There's a whole nest of us around here...

Where y'at? I live on the NW side of Indy and work in Broad Ripple.
                    1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                    2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                    2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                    Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

Welcome fellow Hooiser! terrylee

Comment

Still here, not sure how my account didn't _stick_...

Comment

Working...
                        X