Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kansas City 1980 Suzuki gs450s

hey guys,

I just picked up my first gs two weeks ago.
    Its a 1980 gs450s and Im only the 4rth owner.
    I know the story back to the original purchase and its been sitting in a garage for years.
    Shockingly low amount of rush and the paint still looks great.
    The goal right now is to get it running like it just rolled off the line.

Currently the carbs are completely off and I have gone through them with a few cans of carb cleaner.
    Waiting on a few o-rings to put them back together.
    Didn't bother getting bigger jets or anything. Want to get it running right and completely stock.

Will be posting pictures as I go and will surely have questions.

The day I picked her up

Last edited by Guest; 08-14-2014, 03:55 PM.

Progress so far:

Carbs are completely off and gone through.
    Cleaned everything and anything I could get to inside.

It also had an oil leak which seemed to be coming from the oil pan gasket.
    I got the oil pan off and clean a thick layer of sludge out of the bottom.
    Gasket came in so the oil pan should be going back on today.

The fuel line T between the twin carbs had a piece of plastic in it when removed.
    Worried me that the petcock had let it though so I took it out and went though it as well.
    Looked surprisingly good inside but I cleaned what I could.

The bike as it stands right now: (before the oil pan came out actually)

Something I noticed - there are rubber spacers between the cooling fins on the cylindars.
    Are those just spacers from the factory? Only reason I can think for them being there.
    Anyone seen these before?
    You can see them in the picture above.

Comment

Clean bike, nice find. Those spacers can be taken out. I've almost got my 850 road worthy. If I can get 'er done with some decent weather left this year we should meet up for a cruise around KC. I'll PM you.

Comment

Welcome to the site, and congratulations on picking up a really clean unmolested bike. I dig it.
        sigpic
        When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
        -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
        -Rusty old scooter.
        Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
        https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
        https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

You lucky guy! Glad you are taking care of it...I love my similar 400 ,but I wish it was in that shape .

Comment

That is a sweet 450 you have there. Seems like these have been coming out of the woodwork lately.
            Charles
            --
            1979 Suzuki GS850G

Read BassCliff's GSR Greeting and Mega-Welcome!

Comment

Greetings from overland park.

Nic
              83 GS1100ES rebuild:

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170032

Budget GSXR Conversion:

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=200563

New to me bike: 2008 B-KING

Comment

That is a nice looking 450S. You are going to enjoy that!

Did you see Basscliff's web site? There are some great tutorials and other information posted there, including a tutorial on cleaning carbs off a 450. That is a very important step and they must be cleaned thoroughly because those passages are quite small and it doesn't take much gunk to block the flow of gas. Spraying the carbs with a can is not usually effective. They should be dipped for 24 hours in Berrymans or similar carb dip. Why not do it right the first time?

Here's the link http://members.dslextreme.com/users/bikecliff/ At least give it a look.

Oh... here's another link for you to a Mega welcome from Bass Cliff. Lots of good info for newbies there... http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...ers-CLICK-HERE
                Last edited by Guest; 08-15-2014, 09:06 AM. Reason: add another link

Comment

Nice one !!! Those aren't rubber "spacers". They are designed to reduce the vibrations of the engine. The bike looks great !!! Good Luck with it.
                  Larry D
                  1980 GS450S
                  1981 GS450S
                  2003 Heritage Softtail

Comment

Thanks for the welcome guys!

Winfield I appreciate the links - I have been looking for the manual but had a hard time tracking it down.
                    Larry that is good to know on those rubber pieces. Ive never seen those before.

New update on the bike - its running!!!!!!!
                    Got the oil pan back on with fresh oil and filter and the carbs back on Saturday.
                    After filling up the bowls with gas it started up without a problem. They just needed a little adjustment on the idle after messing with it to bench sync the carbs.
                    It now revs right through the entire range and comes back down smooth. Problem fixed.
                    After letting it warm up for a short time with the choke on, it holds idle consistently and is very responsive.

I put 25 miles on it on Sunday riding around close to the house (don't fully trust it just yet) and didn't have a single issue.

Next step is to get the front brake working.
                    I couldn't get the fluid to pump through by pumping the lever or using a vacuum pump.
                    Plan on taking it apart after work today to investigate.

Question for you guys with similar bikes - how can I figure out what modern tires will fit?
                    The sizes of the current tires only show classic tires when I search online.
                    Id like to upgrade to a modern tire (nothing crazy just a little meatier and more dependable).
                    The tires on it now are a bit dried out and not something you want to take out on the highway.

Comment

Great year for the 450S! Although I may be slightly impartial.....

The stock wheels won't give you much selection for tires, unfortunately. On the bright side, anything made today is going to be far better than what was installed in 1980. When looking for tires, you'll have to check your rim width (stock for your bike is 1.85" rear and 1.6" front). If it's any help though, the front wheel off a Suzuki GN400 is identical in every way except that it is 1.85" wide.

Comment

Check out the tires on this bike:
                        Its a gs450s with stock wheels

http://imgur.com/a/qyPP8 -For all pictures
                        http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=51126.15 -came from this build thread

Please tell me someone has info on what tires these are. The guy who built that bike hasn't logged in to that forum in a year.

Comment

Shinko 712 , probably 100/90-18 front and rear?

Comment

Nice bike!!!
                            Like to find one like that around here.

Comment

Originally posted by Big Rich View Post
                              Shinko 712 , probably 100/90-18 front and rear?
                              You were right on with the shinko 712.
                              You can tell by the tread line down the middle of the tire he went with the actual rear tire for the rear.
                              Looks like the smallest rear is a 110 which makes sense because the rear wheel is wider.
                              thanks for the help! Looking at ordering these soon.

May have to lose the front fender or might fab a bracket for it to sit higher.

Comment

Working...
                              X