I now own a GS !! 1981 GS850G

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I now own a GS !! 1981 GS850G

Well based on quite a few good recommendations and based on what was available I picked up an 81' GS850G on Wednesday for $300. It was a "son moved out and left it behind" type of situation". Had a plate on it from 2010 so it hasn't been out of commission that long. Story goes son went to Europe and never came back. Some anecdotal evidence is that he may have been a member here at one time as he had 2 sets of unused cyclorings that I believe were purchased from another member on this site. At any rate the son was is in his late 40s when he left so it wasn't kid owned. The paperwork was signed and now I have the clean title in my name.

I have it docked at a friends home shop, he was a classmate at MMI years ago and does a little m/c stuff on the side, and he is allowing me some shop space and lending a hand in needed getting it fully operational. I would like it fully & safely operational by Sept 1 so I can start riding it. When I went and checked it out I bumped it over with battery cables and it damn near fired off. I am hoping this is a good sign.

I have ordered the following:

Front/Rear Shinko 230s tires & new valve stems
    Battery
    New Petcock
    All new cables (choke, clutch, throttle) oem only
    Front/Rear brake pads
    Clutch lever
    Right side front turn signal (used off Ebay)

The carbs are off and all pieces look good. They will be processed through the Berryman's & ultrasonic cleaner as I have a chance, I am gone for a few days in Georgia and won't be back until Monday. Looking forward to getting her road worthy! In regards to the brake lines does anyone sell new oem brake lines or does any aftermarket s/s braided place make a plug/play kit that is bolt on kit?

When I get back it's carbs, valves, fluids, brakes and then Vroom!

Cool deal. Good luck with it.
    sigpic
    When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
    -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
    -Rusty old scooter.
    Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
    https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

I've got some indicators if you want, the rectangular type. A pair for $10 AUD plus postage. And a tip, check the brake callipers for moisture and/or put a new kit though them. Good luck and may the money gods be kind to you!

Comment

In regards to the brake lines does anyone sell new oem brake lines or does any aftermarket s/s braided place make a plug/play kit that is bolt on kit?
        You can get rubber OEM brake lines, but I wouldn't. For a bit more, you can get braided stainless steel lines that perform better and last a lot longer than the Suzuki-recommend two-year change interval for stock lines.

Search the forum, lots of options here. Many vendors, or you can even make your own. The best bang for my buck is an outfit on eBay called Rennsport auto. If you do a search for your bike and brake lines, you'll surely come across them. Here's their eBay store: http://stores.ebay.ca/Rennsport-Auto-Parts They may have more than one eBay store.
        Charles
        --
        1979 Suzuki GS850G

Read BassCliff's GSR Greeting and Mega-Welcome!

Comment

Originally posted by Scout View Post
          Well based on quite a few good recommendations and based on what was available I picked up an 81' GS850G on Wednesday for $300. .
          When I get back it's carbs, valves, fluids, brakes and then Vroom!
          Good.

And another thing when you get back: Post some pics.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
          GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Originally posted by Redman View Post
            Good.

And another thing when you get back: Post some pics.

Still trying to figure out the pics and how to get them off my phone and onto here

Originally posted by eil View Post
            You can get rubber OEM brake lines, but I wouldn't. For a bit more, you can get braided stainless steel lines that perform better and last a lot longer than the Suzuki-recommend two-year change interval for stock lines.

Search the forum, lots of options here. Many vendors, or you can even make your own. The best bang for my buck is an outfit on eBay called Rennsport auto. If you do a search for your bike and brake lines, you'll surely come across them. Here's their eBay store: http://stores.ebay.ca/Rennsport-Auto-Parts They may have more than one eBay store.
            Thanks for the information. They offer a set for an L model so I am going to contact and see if they have a plug/play set for my bike.

Anyways so far so good. Carbs are 100 % done but I am waiting on the new carb holders and airbox rubbers to arrive. I forgot to mention I ordered these pieces as well as the ones on the bike are no longer pliable. Also ordered a variety of fasteners from McMaster that have yet to arrive. I'm in a hurry up and wait situation LOL. Tomorrow quite a bit of the parts should arrive <<< crossing my fingers >>>

Comment

Several parts should start arriving today but the stuff I ordered from Parts Outlaw seems to be delayed. I used them because they are a Florida company and thought it may be a bit quicker. Maybe it takes a little longer for OEM stuff? I can get started on the tires tonight at least.

Comment

Several parts should start arriving today but the stuff I ordered from Parts Outlaw seems to be delayed. I used them because they are a Florida company and thought it may be a bit quicker. Maybe it takes a little longer for OEM stuff? I can get started on the tires tonight at least.
                From my experiences, that would be business-as-usual for Parts Outlaw. If I have time to wait, ordering from them saves a few bucks. If I need something quick and am willing to pay 10%-15% more, I order it from my local dealer.

Comment

Ordering parts through the mail from any OEM vendor usually takes a minimum of two weeks. I usually estimate around one week for the item to be shipped from the warehouse to the vendor and around another week to ship it to you. Plus some time for handling and processing. Ordering straight from a local dealer will cut out some time.
                  Charles
                  --
                  1979 Suzuki GS850G

Read BassCliff's GSR Greeting and Mega-Welcome!

Comment

Still trying to figure out the pics and how to get them off my phone and onto here
                    Are a couple different ways to go about it.
                    But most common: need to get them off your phone and onto some other photo-hosting website service such as Photobucket or Dropbox (there are others). And THEN can have them show up in your forumn posting.

GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Well guys she lives! Everything has been done that I planned to do except changing out all the cables ( have not arrived yet), new brake lines, carb sync & r/r upgrade.

Fitted the tires with dynabeads, went top to bottom through entire brake system, cleaned all electrical connections, installed new boots, carbs, sealed airbox with new filter, changed plugs. All new, fresh fluid in the gearbox, engine and drive unit and installed the new battery.

Fired her up on Saturday for the vey first time and she started right off, I was quite happy. A mere flick of the starter button and a little choke and vroom! Me and my friend both took it around the area for several blocks to see how it rode and we adjusted the rear shocks and also added air to the fronts. Rides very well now. Yesterday morning I came over and we went for a little sunday ride. Before long we were in Port St Lucie! I never even hit reserve and I probably started with only 3/4 in the tank. I'm not a native Florida guy and had never been there before, real cool adventure. Gassed up before heading back, this rig must be getting close to 45 mph! What a ride, I must have been smiling the whole way but I need to remember a rain suit though next time. My friend's daily rig is a Roadstar 1600 Yamaha and there is no way he can keep up. He can get me off light but when we roll on at 60 mph he is dead in the water. Afew more things to get done but I am impressed so far, very comfortable in the saddle and although I am use to forward controls I am really enyoing the standard feet positioning. Must say very impressed with the 230 Shinkos too, clung to the road very well in all conditions Will keep the thread updated and I will get pics as soon as I can

Comment

A bicycle shock pump works pretty good on the forks. I run close to maximum allowed in the manual. I do not have a problem with leak down, and I have a number of these bikes, all running close to 30 psi. I like it that way.
                        sigpic Too old, too many bikes, too many cars, too many things

Comment

....c
                          omfortable in the saddle and although I am use to forward controls I am really enyoing the standard feet positioning. Must say very impressed with the 230 Shinkos too, clung to the road very well in all conditions Will keep the thread updated and I will get pics as soon as I can
                          Yes Yes Feet under you where can use to shift your weight, like usefull for RIDING, not just to look cool in the mirror.

yes, pictures please.

Comment

I am pretty close by if you need anything. Best of luck with it.
                            David
                            1998 Suzuki Bandit
                            1978 GS750 gone but not forgotten
                            1978 GS1000 - gone
                            1981 GS850 - gone

Comment

Originally posted by portdave View Post
                              I am pretty close by if you need anything. Best of luck with it.
                              Thanks Dave. Nice to see other Sunshine members on here. Been off site for a little bit. Got the the rest of the important parts (cables, other bits) last week and installed them Took my longest bike journey yet yesterday, a bit over 300 miles, and I'm in Georgia now. Got to say the bike performed much better than myself as I am worn out and my neck hurts. Suspect helmet is too heavy. I anxiously await my shield to arrive to buffer the flow a little. My buddy is modifying a rear rack for me and am looking forward to getting it on so I don't have to bungee everything down to the seat

Comment

Working...
                              X