Hello GS Forum and thank you

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hello GS Forum and thank you

Hello to the forum. I have a 1983 GS550. I am a motorcycle enthusiast of all types and brands. I have a few different motorcycles and do most of the routine maintenance myself. Any major work I have paid a dealership mechanic until about five years ago. Lesson Learned from viewing this site, the work I need done is do able by me with help from the knowledge gained from viewing the wealth of info here. I first watched this forum just to gain info I have learned that there are some great people here that are worth knowing that goes beyond just motorcycles. Many here have come forward to help other forum members in time of need and to send expressions of hope and compassion when it is needed. I learned that this forum is brought together because of the GS but is bonded in friendship and understanding that we are human and we all have problems and trials in life that can be related too or at least have compassion towards. Well enough of that. If anyone is interested I will continue. I am the proud owner of a 1983 GS550L that I have owner for about 20 years now. I acquired this bike from my father in law. He was not my father in law at the time though. The bike had sat in his garage for about five years without being ran. My father in law said if I got it running I could use it and we would come to a price to buy it later. He is the original owner. He bought it without having any riding experience at all, which I find funny. I bought a battery and put in new gas. I tried to start it and fuel ran all over the garage floor from the carbs. I had no idea what to do so I took it to the local Suzuki dealer and they rebuilt the carbs. $350 later and she was alive. I have had her ever since. My work mates laughed at me every time I rode to work. 265, 6' 2" man on a 550. I did not care, I was hooked. Anyways I still have it and love saying I still own my first motorcycle. How many people can say that? Well enough on that, I am glad to be here and hope that I can contribute to this forum. I concider myself a noob. I am humble enough to listen to those who know. I will offer any knowledge that I have. I want to give a huge thank you to BassCliff even though he does not know me he has helped me so much that I am forever in his debt. You can tell he is driven by the passion that he has for the GS and motorcycling as a whole. A big thank you also to cycleorings. I had a lot of dumb questions for him and he answered all of them quickly and professionally. At no time did I feel like I was wasting his time. These are two awesome friends to this community. Anyways sorry for the long intro. With that I will just say Hello!

It would be easier to read if you hit the 'return' key every now and then to start a new paragraph.

Welcome aboard.
    1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

HAHA my mother was an English major you would think something would rub off but alas no. Thanks for the tip.

Comment

Hi dawnpatrol357.

Welcome to the forum.
        Daniel

1973 Honda ST90
        1983 Suzuki GS1100GK

Comment

Welcome, good to hear from you. Can we see some pics of that 500L beast when you get a chance?
          Charles
          --
          1979 Suzuki GS850G

Read BassCliff's GSR Greeting and Mega-Welcome!

Comment

Thanks for the intro.....a nice contribution in itself. As you state, this is a great community from all walks of life, that all happen to be bonded around old GSs
            Welcome.
            sigpic
            When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
            -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
            -Rusty old scooter.
            Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
            https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
            https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

DP,

Welcome to GSR.

No need to apologize for the introduction. Was great.

So you got the bike from him, and that worked out well, so you went back, and.... . . . har har har

Pics would be good.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
              GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Here is a photo of where she is right now,DSCF1003 (3).jpg I would have to dig deep into my photo archives to find a picture that shows it complete. It has always been in some state of repair or work.

Comment

Originally posted by dawnpatrol357 View Post
                  Here is a photo of where she is right now,[ATTACH=CONFIG]35961[/ATTACH] I would have to dig deep into my photo archives to find a picture that shows it complete. It has always been in some state of repair or work.
                  I like it.
                  1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Working...
                  X