Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Member | First Time Motorcycle Owner - 78 GS750

Hi Everybody,

I just purchased my first motorcycle yesterday, a '78 GS750. Hoping to get it on the road today if DMV will cooperate with me.

The bike is a bit of a basket case - who knows how many previous owners it has had. All kinds of weird stuff on it from what I can tell (mirrors, pods, paint job, etc.) but I got it for a good price and figure it's a good starting point for a little(?) project. I like to think there have been countless stories told about this machine in it's 36 years of existence.

I enjoy doing research (on things that I'm interested in), so I'll do some reading before I start asking questions. First thing will be to tinker/fix what needs the most attention (electric start doesn't work, a couple bolts are snapped off here and there). But I won't lie, I really just want to get out and ride.. so this might be slow going while the weather is still nice here in Upstate NY.

IMG_1835.jpg

Welcome..Basscliffs site has a boatload of info to research. Also check out the top 10 newbie mistakes. It'll likely answer a lot of your questions. Good luck and enjoy.
    sigpic
    When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
    -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
    -Rusty old scooter.
    Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
    https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

Awesome man. Have you ridden before? If not I highly suggest you take a motorcycle safety course. I had a buddy almost killed cause he didn't know what to do in an emergency, or how to avoid them in general. The MSC was VERY worth it to me.

Awesome bike man! Get her running down the road again.

Comment

Looks like a frog I once knew...a little bit of fun in that paint job, but it isn't the most hideous presentation I have seen. There is a bit of rust here and there (heck, it IS 36 y.o.), but it presumably has a decent exhaust on it with that 4:1.

You are right about those mirrors, though. Can't live with those, haha!

Yes, a nice little project to make your own. Safe first, fast second, pretty third...

Welcome to the GSR.
        '83 GS650G
        '83 GS550es (didn't like the colours in the 80's, but they've grown on me)

Comment

Billy,

Welcome to GSR.

Looks like your 750 is all there (except for side panel), and all together.

I can understand your excitement to get out and ride it.

Post in electrical section and I and many others can help you with troubleshooting the electric start.
          (Tell us if you have a multitester or if you have a test probe/light. If you say you have neither, I will say that you can not really troubleshoot electrical systems with your eyeballs.)

Once the DMV cooperates with you (or not) there is something else you should be concerned about: learning to ride.
          And I don't mean just how to let out clutch and go straight down the road and crank on the throttle and go thru the gears -- that is the easy part.
          Is much much more that I can say about that.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
          GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Hi 81GS850,

I have taken the MSC course. Definitely worth it!

Comment

Originally posted by BigD_83 View Post
              Safe first, fast second, pretty third...
              For sure ^ !!

Comment

Thanks Redman,

I'll do some research first on the Electric Start, not really in a hurry on that as it kicks over pretty easily.

I definitely need to learn more about riding - I took the MSC course recently and rode dirt bikes as a kid, but its been years and I have virtually zero road miles under my belt.

Comment

Working...
                X