Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First bike GS-750L Dayton, OH!

Hello all,

Just picked up my first bike, a 1979 GS 750L! She runs pretty good but does need some work, which I'm hoping to do mostly myself, which is how I came across this forum. PO installed a 4 to 1 exhaust, and took off the air filter entirely so thats the first order of business. I know next to nothing about motorcycles, but I'm mechanically minded and did own a bicycle shop for 5 years so excuse my ignorance!

I'm a tattooer in Dayton, Ohio, anybody from the area who could recommend a good shop that knows their GS bikes would be helpful!

Cheers,

take off your carbs and send them to chef1366 and he can go through them and jet them for individual filters and a pipe.
    there is other things you need to check as will be posted soon i'm sure

Comment

Are a few GSR members in that area of Ohio.
      At least 2 in Dayton.

Pipe and no air box will most likely require different jets in carbs. Did PO say anything about that?

Thanks for introducing yourself.
      Do post pics.

Would not recommend any shop to work on your 30 year old bike. Would not take much work to cost more than bike is worth. ANd that is if anyh shop would work on it anyway.

Get a service manual and start doing somethings yourself.

Last edited by Redman; 08-20-2014, 09:00 PM.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
      GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Originally posted by blowerbike View Post
        take off your carbs and send them to chef1366 and he can go through them and jet them for individual filters and a pipe.
        there is other things you need to check as will be posted soon i'm sure
        I was planning on throwing some filters on and seeing what happens then redoing the carbs myself when the snow hits. But I'll remember the advice once I start wanting to throw wrenches around.

I read through The Stator Papers which explains my battery issues and plan to address that soon, other than that I just need to install a brake light switch, a new chain, and I should be rolling.

Comment

Originally posted by Redman View Post
          At least 2 in Dayton.

Pipe and no air box will most likely require different jets in carbs. Did PO say anything about that?

Thanks for introducing yourself.
          Do post pics.

Would not recommend any shop to work on your 30 year old bike. Would not take much work to cost more than bike is worth. ANd that is if anyh shop would work on it anyway.

Get a service manual and start doing somethings yourself.

Good to know! Hopefully they make their presence known.

He didn't mention anything about swapping jets but I'll ask!

I got a manual and plan on doing what I can!

Comment

Here are some pictures

Comment

WTF...
              looks like a kawasaki rear caliper.........
              i see a sore back coming..hehe

Comment

WTF...
                looks like a kawasaki rear caliper.........
                i see a sore back coming..hehe
                Haha oh yeah it's strutted, forgot to mention that! So you think the rear brake is from a Kawasaki? Interesting, like I said I'm a total noob so feel free to school me

Comment

Originally posted by Redman View Post
                  At least 2 in Dayton.
                  Originally posted by Tommy_nash View Post
                  Good to know! Hopefully they make their presence known.
                  Yes, there are several of us around here, I am probably the more 'vocal' one, though.

I am just south of you, in Centerville, will send you my contact info.

I can help you with the carbs, too. Chef does a fine job on carbs, but I'm local.

sigpic
                  mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                  hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                  #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                  #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                  Family Portrait
                  Siblings and Spouses
                  Mom's first ride
                  Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                  (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

I'm down in Miamisburg about two hops, a long skip, and triple jump from Steve's house.
                    Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
                    1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
                    2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
                    Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
                    and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Originally posted by cowboyup3371 View Post
                      I'm down in Miamisburg about two hops, a long skip, and triple jump from Steve's house.
                      now...i am skeered
                      LOL

Comment

Welcome! Cleaned/jetted carbs, adjusted valves, rebuilt brakes with stainless steel brake lines, an actual suspension, and a properly fitting seat cover is all that bike needs in order to be fully awesome. You have quite a few fellow GSers in your neighborhood, be sure to heed their wisdom and take them up on offers of help. I hear they shun traditional currency and prefer to be paid in beer.

Don't miss BassCliff's mega-welcome: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...ers-CLICK-HERE!!
                        Charles
                        --
                        1979 Suzuki GS850G

Read BassCliff's GSR Greeting and Mega-Welcome!

Comment

now...i am skeered
                          LOL
                          And if he turns around before doing all that stuff, he will end up in YOUR yard.

sigpic
                          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                          Family Portrait
                          Siblings and Spouses
                          Mom's first ride
                          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

now...i am skeered
                            LOL
                            Don't worry, that bunch of land mines in his driveway keeps me from going over there often....
                            Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
                            1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
                            2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
                            Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
                            and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Originally posted by eil View Post
                              Welcome! Cleaned/jetted carbs, adjusted valves, rebuilt brakes with stainless steel brake lines, an actual suspension, and a properly fitting seat cover is all that bike needs in order to be fully awesome. You have quite a few fellow GSers in your neighborhood, be sure to heed their wisdom and take them up on offers of help. I hear they shun traditional currency and prefer to be paid in beer.

Don't miss BassCliff's mega-welcome: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...ers-CLICK-HERE!!
                              Cheers! Yeah this place has been a wealth of information already! Can't wait to start chipping away at some projects.

Comment

Working...
                              X