Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My 1980 GS550E before and after pictures.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My 1980 GS550E before and after pictures.

Just wanted to post pictures of my almost year long battle to get the GS550 running reliably. Still isn't there lol but all thats left is replacing a broken carb. Been a heck of a challenge but I'm glad I stuck to it.
    When I bought it:

It fired up but the charging system didn't work despite the claim saying he installed a new stator. EMGO pods on CV carb ran like crap but it did run so I bought it. Entire harness was a hack job of electrical tape and zip ties. Ripped all of it out. The tank didn't fit so that had to go. The seat was a terrible homemade job covered in rust so it went too.

Nw seat and a stock tank helped tremendously. Started looking like a decent motorcycle then. I replaced the R/R with a ZX10 MOSFET unit and redid my fuse box and grounds fixing the charging issue. Cleaned the tank and carbs, replaced the intake o rings, added an airbox, wheel bearings, bar end mirrors, tires, GS550L side covers and green paint. Here she is now.
    Unfortunately all I've managed to do was get a broken down heap back to running albeit stock condition. Suspension mods are up next. Hope you all like the transformation.

Good work, bike is coming along. One thing to watch out for is that MOSFET r/r ; if your bikes lighting was stock I would not be as concerned but if you are running LEDs or fewer lights then the sh775 would be a much better choice.

there have also been discussions on fenders and fork braces today.

Comment

It needs a fender lol. First test ride kicked a rock into my throat. Lol.

Comment

You definitely have been doing a great job of improvement on your 550. A rock in the throat, some thanks!
        sigpic
        83 GS1100g
        2006 Triumph Sprint ST 1050

Ohhhh!........Torque sweet Temptress.........always whispering.... a murmuring Siren

Comment

I will agree, nice job, so far. Too bad you got hit by a rock, just highlights the wisdom of having some protection.

You SURE you have a 550E? Your forks are from an L model, and your L side covers appear to fit well.

There is nothing that "bad" about having an L, yours has definitely been "de-L'd" anyway. The part that concerns me is whether the triple tree has been changed to match the forks. If you just install L forks in the standard triples, geometry will be changed, which can lead to some rather unpleasant handling characteristics.

sigpic
          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
          Family Portrait
          Siblings and Spouses
          Mom's first ride
          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Says 550E on the frame. I put the L covers on. He cut the tabs off so there's no way to mount the side covers so I had to make the mounts. Previous owner put the front end on so it could have spoked wheels. I had no idea about the triple tree information. I haven't had it above 70mph but I live on a very curvy road and haven't noticed any weird handling characteristics. I need to look into that. Can you go into detail about the differences?

Comment

Originally posted by nate25tenn View Post
              Says 550E on the frame. ... I had no idea about the triple tree information. ... I need to look into that. Can you go into detail about the differences?
              I answered that question almost two years ago, so I just looked it up and will paste the quote here.

Originally posted by Steve View Post
              Note the straight-across angle of the rear edge.
              Your first picture shows me that the headlight mounting ears are not correct. They are still the L ears, but have been twisted outward for the larger headlight that was installed, then the tips were bent to line up with the mounting bolts. Note the angle that the turn signals are forced into.

Kudos to somebody for installing a larger (probably better) headlight, but they did it incorrectly.

Compare your second picture with these pictures from the 1000E service manual. They are not the best pictures, but should show what you need to know.
              Note the angle of the rear edge.

Here is a drawing (from the same manual) that shows cable routing, but note the rear angle here. Might be a bit exagerated, but definitely NOT straight.

Personally, I think you still have the L triples on there.

Since your axle has been moved back, your wheelbase will be shorter, meaning possible quicker steering, but it also increases the "trail" measurement, meaning that it will be harder to steer. It's kind of like giving you sports car steering, but turning off the power assist.

sigpic
              Family Portrait
              Siblings and Spouses
              Mom's first ride
              Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)

Comment

Sounds like a positive for me lol. The triple tree has been ground down with clip ons and custom cables so no way to tell but I trust you guys to know way more than I do.

Comment

Originally posted by nate25tenn View Post
                  The triple tree has been ground down with clip ons and custom cables so no way to tell but I trust you guys to know way more than I do.
                  Missing handlebar clamps and custom cables won't change the orientation of the fork tubes and the steering stem.

Get a picture shooting down the same axis as the steering stem. The missing handlebar might actually make it easier to see.

sigpic
                  Family Portrait
                  Siblings and Spouses
                  Mom's first ride

Comment

Working...
                  X