Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Retrieve remote file and reference locally .... huh?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Retrieve remote file and reference locally .... huh?

When including a photo in posting, and select Image From URL...
    What does the check box "Retrieve remote file and reference locally" mean if checked or if unchecked?

I suppose I could post a photo twice, once checked and once unchecked ... but lunchg time is over, maybe this evening.

Add an Image from Url

Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif
    URL

Retrieve remote file and reference locally

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
    GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Originally posted by Redman View Post
    When including a photo in posting, and select Image From URL...
    You are making it MUCH harder than necessary, Dave.

Open your picture source in a second tab in your browser. Find the IMG link for the picture, do whatever is necessary to copy it. Go back the tab with your GSR message on it. Don't bother to click any icons to insert pictures or anything, just go where you want your picture to be and PASTE it. Use right-click, PASTE or Cntl+V, whatever you want, but just paste the IMG link. If you are pasting more than one picture, hit the ENTER key twice between the IMG links, it will give a blank space between the pictures.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Based on a test, if you select R&RL and the file is too big you get an error. If not it doesn't care. Seems to have to do whether the image is downloaded to the Gsr for local storage.
      Last edited by posplayr; 08-21-2014, 01:10 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post

Open your picture source in a second tab in your browser. Find the IMG link for the picture, do whatever is necessary to copy it. Go back the tab with your GSR message on it. Don't bother to click any icons to insert pictures or anything, just go where you want your picture to be and PASTE it. Use right-click, PASTE or Cntl+V, whatever you want, but just paste the IMG link. .....
        That is typically what I do. Can "Copy Link" in photobucket, and then just paste that into the forum posting.
        But thought that was somewhat hard to describe.

THought that using forumn fuction might be easier to describe to newbies ... but is not.

GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Originally posted by posplayr View Post
          Based on a test, if you select R&RL and the file is too big you get an error. If not it doesn't care. Seems to have to do whether the image is downloaded to the Gsr for local storage.
          How in the world would you even suspect that some checkbox option called "Retrieve remote file and reference locally" would have anything to do with file size...?

Hum, ... my picture files are no larger than 2000 pixel wide that I store on photobucket, so I would probably never notice.
          Last edited by Redman; 08-21-2014, 09:58 PM.

Comment

Photobucket, Get Links, Copy IMG code.
            Paste into forum posting (no forum icon)
            looks something like this
            [ I M G ] h t t p : 6.photobucket.com/albums/y249/RedMan52/2014_Ride/SAM_0924_zpse0c6cfc6. [ / I M G]

Hum,
            Now am trying to use the "insert image" icon... and am not seeing the options I was seeing before.
            Advanced or not.
            Must be something else effecting this that I am not aware of.....
            Sun Spots. Must be sun spots again.

Last edited by Redman; 08-21-2014, 10:00 PM.

Comment

Sunspots eh Dave? I'm pretty sure posplayr is correct on his assumption. The retrieve remote file and reference locally actually downloads the image to GSR's server

Comment

Originally posted by huntb View Post
                Sunspots eh Dave? I'm pretty sure posplayr is correct on his assumption. The retrieve remote file and reference locally actually downloads the image to GSR's server
                Yah, SunSpots are good suspect for any computer and/or electronic communication problem. har har har I have been using that for decades.

retrieve remote file
                reference locally
                hum... does sound like could be loading to GSR server. hum... would think they would not want to do that.

I think I will continue to copy the IMG code from Photobucket and paste into posting.

Comment

Working...
                X