Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Signed up today Hello Everyone! Sexy GS650E inside.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Signed up today Hello Everyone! Sexy GS650E inside.

So from registering and looking over this site for quite some time while i owned the bike i finally decided to get away from adv rider and announce myself here.
    History of this bike.
    Purchased 1981 new from a man in his 40s in Fairbanks Alaska for $2505.00 and a Don Vesco Rabid transit fairing, Marzocchi shocks, Lower Handle bars, Shoel Helmet, rear luggage rack passenger back rest, saddle bags, tank bag and full rain riding gear.
    From the receipts that i have when i purchased the bike, he rode it for quite a bit putting about 15K miles on the first 10 years and maintenance receipts of what was done and how much it cost all the way back to the first tune up at 7,000 miles back in 81.
    Around 1994 it sat on and off for around 15 years but only acquired 10,000 more miles and more periodic maintenance in the early 2000s.
    then in 2013 the original owner sold it to the guy i purchased it from. He had the bike transported back to Pocatello Idaho and he rode it for a summer then put it away not winterizing it thus slightly gumming up the carbs. When he pulled it out summer of 14 it did not run so decided to sell it may of 14.
    I found the listing on CL listed for $750 an hour away from me so i decided to go check it out.

After an hour of looking over the bike and negotiating with the guy i haggled him down to $550 and i was on my trailer. Turns out he never registered nor transferred the title in his name so technically i am the second owner. When i changed the title in my name i had to surrender a title that said "0" Miles. But don't worry. i made a copy front and back to add to my records.

After cleaning the carbs, Polishing the bike, Stripping layers and years of road dirt off the front of the motor i ride it every day.
    So enough with the babble talk how about some pictures?

This is when i purchased the bike.

This is how the bike looks right now.

Notice the fairing is gone? i recently sold with the original receipt, paper work, installation instructions, and other sketches and wire diagrams for $350.
    So for $300 I have a great running sexy looking GS650E
    Last edited by Guest; 08-23-2014, 09:40 PM.

Very Nice! I just sold a a bike today in way worse shape than that for more money…. Good score.

Comment

Good score.
      +1 to that! Very nice indeed! and really cool to have those old receipts..the bike's "Provenance"

Don't forget to go here, shootmymime, and see what's what with your new GS
      BikeCliff's Website

Comment

Originally posted by Gorminrider View Post
        +1 to that! Very nice indeed! and really cool to have those old receipts..the bike's "Provenance"

BikeCliff's Website
        Originally posted by Joe H View Post
        Very Nice! I just sold a a bike today in way worse shape than that for more money…. Good score.
        Thanks guys!
        Gorminrider the bike also came with a full SFM on the bike as well as old adds and brochures and magazine articles about this bike. they past owner printed out a full carb rebuild instructions. so i have all the factory info but seeing some tips and tricks, do's and donts with these bikes.

Comment

Beautiful bike. I'm a big Don Vesco fan. If you have it, I'm interested in the fairing. I lived in Fairbanks for years off and on. Hamilton Acres by Traynor gate for 4 years or so. Then a couple other years when we were doing project work there, usually living at Sophie Plaza. You in the military there?

I'm sorry. You bought it in Idaho. It is one of the nicest 650Es I have seen. A real roller bearing GS, too. Its so odd that they sold a plane bearing and roller bearing 650 at the same time. I'm still interested in the fairing.
          Last edited by 850 Combat; 08-24-2014, 12:38 AM.
          sigpic Too old, too many bikes, too many cars, too many things

Comment

Congratulations on a very good buy for a beautiful bike. I'm sure it will serve you well and be very enjoyable. Hope you like the GSR as well. Ray
            "Nobody goes there anymore, it's too crowded" -Yogi Berra
            GS Valve Shim Club http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=122394
            1978 GS1000EC Back home with DJ
            1979 GS1000SN The new hope
            1986 VFR700F2 Recycled

Comment

Nice looking ride. Its cool that you also have a full history on it. Enjoy it, and welcome to the GSR.
              sigpic
              When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
              -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
              -Rusty old scooter.
              Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
              https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
              https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

so guys ive done some searching but no real luck.
                Ive got a damn hard clutch. i looked at everything routes, hooked up, 90deg from the arm on the case, it all looked good. so i decided to pull the case and look inside.
                when i tried to twist the lever by hand with the side cover off not hooked up to the worm gear it would not spin. after some time working it back and forth i could slowly start to twist it all the way around but it was tough. after more time playing with it i was able to free it up quite a bit until i thought it was better and put it back on the bike.
                Made little difference.
                Any ideas? i dont think the springs are HD or anything.

Comment

I've been looking at this "sexy" post for 48 hours and finally decided to have a look. You are right - very nice. Glad you got rid of that extra weight on the front and rear.

A heavy clutch pull just means it wasn't designed for little girls.
                  1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

oh we got a funny guy! lol jerk.

so anyone else? also this question about the forum. how many active people are on it? that post?

Comment

Originally posted by shootmymime View Post
                      oh we got a funny guy! lol jerk.
                      See me, I try to be nice. I save my snide remarks for non-members' bikes in the "Craigslist funnies" thread. But I'm not in the majority.

You'll fit right in here pal. I mean jerk.
                      1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

The cable works well without undue friction?
                        sigpic Too old, too many bikes, too many cars, too many things

Comment

My first thought is the cable may be on it's last leg. I'm not much of an expert, I just keep my bikes running, (with a little help from these guys). There are quite a few active members but not all will comment on technical questions. Your are more likely to get a response on technical questions when they are posted in that section. The informed "gear heads" hang out there. Rob's a NY'er, can't expect much..ya know. Cheers

cg
                          sigpic
                          83 GS1100g
                          2006 Triumph Sprint ST 1050

Ohhhh!........Torque sweet Temptress.........always whispering.... a murmuring Siren

Comment

Originally posted by Gorminrider View Post

BikeCliff's Website
                            yeah when the cable is detached from the shiftier finger it works great.

i think it has to do with the vertical shaft is not rotating as easy as it should against the worm gear clamp. it might be bent or the bearing is wallerd out from 29K miles of use. IDK thats just what i think, it was still kinda hard to rotate the circular shaft.

Comment

Originally posted by Charlie G View Post
                              Rob's a NY'er, can't expect much..ya know. Cheers

cg
                              So you live in Jefferson Airplane?

I spent a good deal of my teens and twenties there!

Comment

Working...
                              X