Drain oil cold?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Drain oil cold?

So I picked up this little beauty over the weekend and wonder what if you guys drain the old oil before trying to start her up after sitting for a couple of years or do you warm up the oil that's already in it then drain it. I'm leading towards draining the oil since I have no idea what condition it's in.

Attached Files
    1982 GS550M Rebuilt Winter '12 - 550 to 673cc engine conversion.
    1989 Kawasaki ZX-7 Ninja
    2016 Ducati Scrambler Full Throttle

Probably depends what the oil looks like:
    If it is clean run it for a bit, then change out the oil.
    If it looks like crap, get it out.

Comment

If it hasn't run in years, as much of the oil is in the oil pan as there ever will be. Pull the drain plug, let it sit overnight, that's getting as much of the old oil out as it is possible to do. If you run it first you won't get anywhere near as much of it out. If the old oil looks bad change it again after a short run.

Looks like a fun bike.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Well, I left the old oil in it while I fought to get her running. Did a quick and dirty carb clean and although I finally got her running, she certainly complained about it. Drained the oil out hot. It didn't smell burnt or like gas so I suppose it was ok. Held a lot of oil though. Almost filled the pan! Thanks for the input fella's. I'm looking forward to this rebuild this winter. We are moving to a new place and I will finally get a portion of the basement that has an outside door so I can work on my bikes in the comfort of heating and cooling. Woo Hoo!

And by the way, my little 675 Suze is still running like a dream.
        1982 GS550M Rebuilt Winter '12 - 550 to 673cc engine conversion.
        1989 Kawasaki ZX-7 Ninja
        2016 Ducati Scrambler Full Throttle

Comment

I drain my oil cool sometimes. I let it drain for some extra time. I prefer to do it warm, but can't always.
          sigpic Too old, too many bikes, too many cars, too many things

Comment

Working...
          X