Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Help my air box will not seat properly!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help my air box will not seat properly!!!

Hello all new to the forum had my gs 1000 running real good after taking all you're advice. Then the dreaded head gasket blew so stripped it down checked everything new base gasket new head gasket oil seals evrything my problem is getting air box to seat on the carbs properly tried every which way but no joy I know it's probably the most posted ever but I could not find please help losing will to live 1979 gs1000 thanks in advance great site never had to ask before just read and followed you're advice. Caveman Dave ride free

Clamping off the airbox boots to the carbs before inserting the carbs into the boots on the head sometimes helps. The clamps tend to stretch so some new ones may help if the boots want to slip off the carbs. The real problem is the airbox boots shrink and get hard with age. Unfortunately, these parts are not sold by Suzuki. You can get the boots from the GS750 and try them instead though... Part# 13728-45010 Desc HOSE AIR CLEANER. There have been some older threads (now in the archives) where people have reported success using these parts.

Good luck and don't forget to use that period key now and again.
    Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
      Good luck and don't forget to use that period key now and again.
      Hahahaha!

Seriously, I had difficulty when the airbox would collapse in the #2/3 carb area. I removed the rear box (air cleaner) and using a tire iron inserted into the plenum, I applied some pressure to that area until the boots were properly seated. I then clamped those two and proceeded to fit the remaining boots.

Dumb question but did you leave the forward box unattached from the frame mount? Just asking to make sure...

Comment

Thanks guys great advice as usual. Still not sorted though also sorry for posting in wrong forum same with period key newbie. Learning by mistakes lol

Comment

Steve and ED sort of hit it on the head. What I have found is that the engine heat .over time..allows the plastic to soften and eventually it starts to get sucked into itself from the air draw when the engine is running. Much like you sucking the air out of a soda bottle and it collapses into itself.

What you need to do is slowly heat the face of the airbox and use something from the rear to push the face back out flat again and hold it there till the plastic cools and it stays again.

This make 2 things happen..the boots will again be far enough forward. The boots will NOT be getting STRETCHED forward to make fit and be overly strained subjecting them to possibly tearing or otherwise becoming damaged.
          MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
          1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Originally posted by rudeman View Post
            Hahahaha!

Seriously, I had difficulty when the airbox would collapse in the #2/3 carb area. I removed the rear box (air cleaner) and using a tire iron inserted into the plenum, I applied some pressure to that area until the boots were properly seated. I then clamped those two and proceeded to fit the remaining boots.

Dumb question but did you leave the forward box unattached from the frame mount? Just asking to make sure...
            Yes, you need the wiggle room to mount the carbs to the the head boots. Once those are in, just screw in the mounting bolts but loosely until you have the front boots seated properly and tighten down. Then go back tighten the mounting bolts and inspect all the boots to make sure they all stayed seated, then reinstall the filter box. Seems like the #2 is always the pain for some reason.
            sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
            1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
            2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

Working...
            X