Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Rider and '82 GS650GT Owner, from Cape Cod MA

Hi All,

I am 29 y/o male that recently signed on my first bike this week, a 1982 GS650GT, and I have to say. it's amazing. the bike has 31.7k miles on the clock, but amazingly, runs like a dream. I picked it up off of a close friend of mine who moved away and couldn't take it with him. $500. money well spent in my opinion.

I'm hoping to be pretty active around this forum, I am a new motorcycle rider, but not unfamiliar with motor vehicle troubleshooting, maintenance, repair, and information of that nature. I'm excited to enter this new chapter of my life.

I'll post some pictures when I get out of the office later today .
    Last edited by Guest; 09-12-2014, 10:24 AM.

Cape Cod ! I lived there year round in late 70's- summer traffic was unreal then, now it must be beyond unreal. New rider - Be wary of everything , are you taking any training courses?
    The 650 is a great bike - getting one in decent shape from trusted friend is a deal.
    Make sure you visit Basscliff's site for maintenance tips.....

1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by tom203 View Post
      Cape Cod ! I lived there year round in late 70's- summer traffic was unreal then, now it must be beyond unreal. New rider - Be wary of everything , are you taking any training courses?
      The 650 is a great bike - getting one in decent shape from trusted friend is a deal.
      Make sure you visit Basscliff's site for maintenance tips.....

http://members.dslextreme.com/users/bikecliff/
      Hi Tom, Thanks for the response and the maintenance resource link.

I do intend on taking a rider's course next spring, I just wanted to get a little riding in while the traffic density is low on the cape (off-season).
      My approach to riding is to assume that no one sees you and go from there.

Any there other GS Riders in the New England area?

Comment

Plenty of NE riders/members- not sure of cape cod though!
        i should have narrowed down that Basscliff link a bit, take a look sometime .
        Charging system on these things is a common problem, so make sure you check it before you wander too far from home!

1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Welcome Anachromy! I, like you, began my motorcycling journey at 29. It stands as one of the most awesome things I've ever done. I had only ever worked on cars before, so there was definitely much to learn. There is probably even more to learn about riding. Have fun and don't rush into riding fast. It will be a long while before you can take the bike to its limits. The course will help immensely. Take it sooner rather than later. I took it after running around my block for 6 miles just to have some confidence beforehand.

What a fantastic deal you got! Hurry up with those pictures! A great ride you have for sure. I enjoy riding mine over anything else so far. A Street Triple might complement my stable someday though.
          Erik

1982 GS550M

Dyna S, Dyna greens, coil relay mod w/LED, Sonic Springs (.90)

Comment

Welcome to the fun house. Looking forward to the pictures. Ride safe.
            sigpic
            When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
            -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
            -Rusty old scooter.
            Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
            https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
            https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

Hi all,

Sorry it took me so long to get a picture of my GS650, but here it is! in all of it's air-cooled glory.

0140923_081414.jpg

Comment

Awesome. Here in Florida's summertime the GS becomes more of a "water-cooled bike." This is even when there isn't rain since the humidity is through the roof. Water is all we breathe, then separate it somehow.
                Erik

1982 GS550M

Dyna S, Dyna greens, coil relay mod w/LED, Sonic Springs (.90)

Comment

Working...
                X