New here and my new '80 GS550E

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New here and my new '80 GS550E

Hello all! I bought my bike about a week ago and immediately started doing research and found this place. This is completely new to me in the aspect I plan to tear it down and treat it right. It currently doesn't run well and I friend plans to help me since he has more experience with older bikes. I previously owned a 2008 Honda CBR 600RR... Sold it to pay for wedding rings and a house down payment. Now were getting settled down and I wanted a project I could be proud of and enjoy. So here it is the day I brought it home. Has new tires, rear shocks, front & rear brake pads, and was told it has new jets and carburators were cleaned... Yet its not running right lol. First I plan to clean and seal tank and get it running well and ride it for a bit and tear it completely down.

Two clues as to why it is not running right. First is the pods, second is the muffler? If that is what you call a muffler .

Comment

Well it only runs if the choke is held and the if given throttle it dies. I don't calls those mufflers those are straight pipes and boarder line annoying and I'm 25 yrs old. My dad walked outside when I started it. I don't know much about, but I plan to research before I do anything I might regret.
      Last edited by Guest; 09-16-2014, 08:47 PM.

Comment

I would figure out what jets are in it as compared to stock. It is generally recommended to ditch those emgo puss and get k&n or the equivalent from APE

Comment

Agree... loose that exhaust, invest in a Vance/Hines or equivalent 4-1, and some good air filters, I like Uni foam pods. You will get lower mpg's but gain performance, and upset the neighbors. Hope you didn't pay too much for her.

Comment

I paid $850 for it. Those 4 into 1 look good but I'm not looking to put a huge amount into this bike and doubt my wife would approve almost $400 on one part. I'm going to pick up a tank kit this weekend and look around for a new petcock. Mine has a small leak and the screw won't turn.

Comment

I see the cafe craze has caught on wherever you are...which is, where?

You can update your User CP (in this new layout, I think in My Profile- About Me) with location and a signature, like jbird's, so you don't have to continuously repeat that information in threads.

Welcome to the GSR.
              '83 GS650G
              '83 GS550es (didn't like the colours in the 80's, but they've grown on me)

Comment

I'm sure you can find a suitable replacement exhaust (used) here on the forum in the "classified" section, but what your running for pipes won't help your tuning project.

Comment

I ordered a jet kit hope it's here in a week or 2. Plan on ordering a pro-15 tank clean/seal kit here soon and new brake lines. But I came home today and fuel was leaking from the petcock. I knew it would be an issue. But I haven't had much luck finding anything or than a rebuild. I know from researching most people say don't bother....

Comment

I hope you don't have a petcock with a center to center 50mm spacing, kind of hard to find, especially 1980 which doesn't have a lever or reserve, so far I'm ok with my 750 but setting up a 1984 GS450 into cafe and rounding up tanks, one 78 which has a good Cb750 shape, no cap or p/c, and just landed another tank that is the same design as my 750E with the knee insets w/ cap and p/c but will have to rebuild the p/c. Got upswept emgo exaust adapters, swaping clubs from bike to bike, grips, bar end mirrors, new sprockets, chain, welding up a seat pan or cutting down the stock 450 pan, 7in.H/L, new r/r. rear brake shoes, mini signals, detab some of the frame, thats a start. I like "redcoat" for the tank with an oxalic acid bath.

Comment

Yep that's one....

Comment

Working...
                      X