Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Bike-In-A-Box owner

Howdy! I'm Geoff.

While not new to motorcycles and I've done some pretty custom work on Jeeps and trucks, this will be my first time really digging into to some custom motorcycle building, so I finally caved and joined the forum instead of just reading.

This is my 1982 GS450 as it sits now:

Hence "Bike in a Box"

My buddy is a custom bike builder and has been trying to get me into it for ages. I've previously owned an '84 Honda Shadow VT700, an '85 Honda Rebel CMX250, and we currently own an '87 Yamaha Radian YX600 but I've never strayed from stock.

I've brought dead bikes back to life, rebuilt carbs, swapped clutches, replaced fork seals, etc., but I've never done anything custom.

I also just bought a donor bike for it, an non-titled 80 GS450 which should help with things.
    My build direction is that of a Dirt Tracker. My wife works for a 400 acre camp with lots of dirt roads to explore and I live in rural Texas, so it just seemed like a fun and different (for me) direction to take.

My absolute favorite build and source on inspiration is a Triumph Scrambler built by British Customs:
    We design and handcraft high-quality aftermarket parts for Triumph bikes that re-imagine your ride. Shop Triumph motorcycle parts created by riders for riders!

Using photoshop, I crudely mocked up what I'm eventually going for:
    bike-mock-up-2-other-side.jpg

Possible custom modifications include a high-tucked exhaust, dirt bike front fender, custom LED lighting, and I'm still debating a dual disc front end swap (the main reason I joined the forum for advice!)

Looking forward to chatting with you good folks!

Ah yes...I like the direction you are going.

You need to check out member Pete's small twin scrambler build.

Welcome to the nuthouse, buddy!
    '83 GS650G
    '83 GS550es (didn't like the colours in the 80's, but they've grown on me)

Comment

I like it as well. Looking forward to following your build.
      Old age and treachery will beat youth and skill every time
      Originally Posted by Schweisshund I mean, sure, guns were used in some of these mass shootings, but not all of them
      1983 GS 750

Comment

I just love rooting through those boxes full of parts and building something. Good luck with the build. Looking forward to watching it all come together.

Comment

Thanks guys!

I just subbed and bookmarked Pete's thread for reference.

In terms of forum etiquette, I assume logging build progress would go into the "Projects/Rebuilds" section and I've tried to check out the stickies, but any particular threads that I should start with while digging in?

The big area I need education in is fork/front end swaps. I'm a tall guy and would like additional ground clearance anyhow, but there's lots of info on how to *lower* a bike, but not much on *raising* it (aside from longer shocks in the rear). I've been reading about 550 swaps, but the fork diameter is different than my 82. And if I could find something with dual disc while I'm at it? I'd be a happy camper....

Comment

You might consider swapping out an MXer front end. If not something from a later GS700 or 750 would give you more clearance and be stiffer.

Comment

Working...
            X