New to the forum, 82 Gs1100g project owner

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New to the forum, 82 Gs1100g project owner

Hi guys! Thanks for having me here. I picked up an 82 Gs1100G a few months ago, and stumbled across this group recently while looking for info. If anyone has any model specific input on this bike, I am always interested. I bought it as a non-running someone started this as a bobber? project lost interest and backed out kind of bike. I have recently relocated the bike to make it easier to work on, and started tearing into it. So far I am optimistic, needs some standard stuff from sitting a long time. Carbs are off and soaking now, needs a battery, 2 tires [I have em already], fork seals, a choke cable, and some major cleaning. It will also get some custom work, I have plans for bars, fenders, seat , and lighting, that should make it stand out when done. I included a pic of more or less what it looked like the day I picked it up. Enjoy Gonzo
    Attached Files

Welcome! Start a build thread and keep us updated with pictures!

Comment

She needs some work, yes.
      As stated by 78550GS, looking forward to watching progress if you find the time to start a build thread!
      Welcome to the forum!

Comment

Welcome and enjoy. Cant quite tell from the pic, but it looks like the PO didnt chop off the rear frame, so you can return it to some form of stock if you choose to. Try not to get bogged making it pretty yet. Verify its a viable machine first. Good luck.
        sigpic
        When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
        -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
        -Rusty old scooter.
        Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
        https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
        https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

Thanks guys, spent a little more time on this today. Rear foot pegs and giant aluminum brackets eliminated. Dorkburger, the rear frame was not cut by the PO but will be by me soon enough....soon I am to track down a rear fender for it first.

Comment

Don't forget about replacing the rear wheel hub spline. This year bike had ones made out of "lesser" metal and even though they looked good, after taking them out you would see the damage. I did this recently on an 82 1100G I just gave to my son. If you do a search, you'll find plenty of threads about it.
            sigpic

1974 GT750 ...done, running and sold
            1974 GT550 .... under construction (done and sold)
            1978 GS550........all stock, running (going to do 550/650 build with it)
            1978 GS1000...another project (Given to son #2)
            1982 GS750EZ ...daily driver(given to son#1)
            1982 GS1100G...completed and traded to son #2 for the 750 back
            1982 GS750EZ...daily driver (got it back in trade with son #2)
            1983 GR650 Tempter.... engine rebuild completed (and sold)

Comment

Where did you get the replacement, is it Suzuki, or an aftermarket item? I have had more time than usual to work on it recently. Just picked up the battery today, and got what will be my new choke cable, didn't come with one.

Comment

I got my replacement spline on eBay. It's been a while but I'm pretty sure it was for a newer Suzuki bike (by that I mean newer than 1982) and the part numbers matched up. I believe the part number superseded the old part number. I'll see if I can dig it up for you.
                sigpic

Comment

Here you go... the original part number for the 82 1100G is 64680-45112. The one I used was from a Volusia VL800, 2001 thru 2005 and it's number is 64680-45113. The last number is different and through my searches, I found somewhere, where the higher number superseded the older number. But if you do a parts search, you'll see this spline is used on Suzukis through 2013. They can be bought new but I found a pristine one on eBay for $50. Bolted right in and worked like a charm.
                  But be aware, this was a known issue and there's the possibility that it may have already been switched by a previous owner. The only way to tell is to open up the rear tire and check the color. I believe the bad splines were a gold in color and the better ones were black and silver in color. And don't be fooled by just looking at it in the rear wheel. Because mine looked perfect but when I pulled it out of the wheel, the teeth on the side that I couldn't see were all chewed up and worn down. Hope this helps. If you do a search here you'll find better threads with pictures explaining everything I'm talking about and you'll have a better idea of what you're looking at.
                  Good luck with the bike. Mine was probably the best running bike I ever had but my younger son wanted it so I traded it to him to get the 82 750E I gave him back. I didn't need the 1100 and the 750 is a lot of fun for me to run around on.
                  sigpic

Comment

Thanks for the info, I am a little surprised it crosses over to the newer bikes. Just got done fixing the starter and cable that goes to it. Pulled, cleaned the cam chain tensioner. Tomorrow the new choke cable, relocation, and mounting. Cleaning of the air filter pods, filling and charging the new battery.

Comment

Working...
                    X