Newbie 1982 GS1100GL

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Newbie 1982 GS1100GL

Jeff, from Albany NY. Picked up a 1982 GS1100GL for $400 with 13,250 miles but needs major love. Guy said it sat for a couple years and the more I pull stuff off seems like it sat for 20 years lol. I stuck a new battery in it to see if I could get it to start, it turns just not over so know engine isn't seized up. In the past 2 weeks have pulled off tank and goal is to get to the carbs to clean them. My dad is going to help me pull them since the screws are rusted a little bit and don't want to strip them. I cleaned up the pipes with steel wool to get all the surface rust off and looking like chrome again. I sanded and polished one lower fork and started working on cleaning the engine with steel wool since it looks so bad. So far looks so much better.

I have ordered new shocks/springs for rear (Emgo, look decent for price) and Spark plugs. Plan is to kind of make a bobber of sorts but keep some stock stuff. Thinking "dishing out" tank, Z bars, different speedo, new cables, foot pegs (maybe brass knuckle style) Side Lic mount, better rear fender, poss white wall tires, seat pan and seat and I am sure other things. Saw a couple that caught my eye and liked them so wil be trying my hand making it. I am learning in the process of doing this.

Any place decent place to get rear fenders from?
    Seats or Seat pans

Looking forward to learning and plan on riding it in Spring. Have my V Star 1100 Classic in the meantime.

Welcome. Make sure you clean the carbs PROPERLY. We don't want you to fight with it anymore than you have to. It sounds like you have enough to deal with as it is, so valve adjustment before you are done as well.

Pics....... we like pics.

Comment

Your first investment in tools ---
      A proper set of JIS (Japanese Industrial Standard) screwdrivers.
      The JIS is different that the Phillips and will help in preventing the stripped screw issue...

Enjoy the work for it is the best part of any motorcycle rehabilitation .
      Currently in the Stable :
      2002 Honda Goldwing GL1800 Sunburst Pearl Orange
      1983 Suzuki GS850 GL Blue & Black

" I am never lost until I run out of fuel...until that moment I am EXPLORING."
      - Carl R. Munkwitz

Munk's Maxim: "There is no such thing as a cheap motorcycle"

Comment

Looking at Z bars, can I use stock cables? Also are bars 7/8 or 1" if I use 1" can I still use factory boxes, wiring etc...? Its def going to be a project.

Comment

The bars and everything on them is 7/8" (including the bar clamp on the top tree). You would have replace or machine everything to go with 1" bars. Cheaper to by a sportster

Comment

Will be ordering set of Z handle bars, would stock cables work? They kind of look like ape bars so leaning towards prob not stock cables. Been trying to rehab the look of engine as in sanding and Mother's Polish. Lot of work since other owner had it sit for many years.

So far I ordered a handmade seat pan, ngk spark plugs and shocks/springs. Hopefully done with everything in spring 2015.

What carbs would be a direct swap as in no mods for this? Also anyone have any pics of Z bars on their rides?

Comment

Welcome to the GL club!

Comment

Working...
              X