The next best thing to a Gs, a 77 hd sporty rebuild

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The next best thing to a Gs, a 77 hd sporty rebuild

I have been looking for something different since I got my BMW K100 finished. Searching cl I found this project sporty needing some attention. The guy had it listed at $1750 but when I showed up and asked him what he really wanted for the bike we settled at $800 so I picked it up. It is complete as far as I can tell and the only mod done to it was a slight rake job. The guy had been watching too much occ and raked it out 5 degrees. I'm not a fan but the guy is a master welder and it looks to be a good job on the frame. My plans are go through the engine and fix a clutch issue. Measure he cylinders and get the heads gone through. I never liked the peanut tank so a fat bob tank will be going on. Who ever thought of putting a tinny tank on a 1000 cc bike was a moron. So here it is as it sits now.

I have had some time to work on bike. I got the cylinders pulled so I can check them. I also started to pull there'd heads apart so that will get checked as well. This bike is so simple compared to the gs. It doesn't even have valve seats. They are seated right in the steel of the head. I have decided to get rid of the oil tank and geta different One, replace the oil lines with stainless steel. I have found that the controls are messed up some. There seems to be a high/low on the right and left controls and all the buttons are missing their caps.

It turns out this bike does not have a neutral light and to make the signals work you have to hold the button down. It's kinda. Days like strong back in time. Now I know why Harley guys just remove them. I did find a nice Bobber type of rear fender for the bike I don't like bonnets but it's way less expensive than an original fender. The one on it was cut down and looks like crap. So I think I will put a spring mounted solo seat and some combo stop/turn signal lights.
    Last edited by Guest; 10-04-2014, 11:22 PM.

Comment

if it wasn't raked...it would have made a great street tracker aka XR750 clone.

Comment

Fun bikes, but slower than glaciation. Back when I rode a Yamaha XS11, a buddy of mine sold his Shadow 750 and bought a 1000 Sporty. He sold it in less than six months because it was so much slower than even the Shadow. I think the rake looks kinda cool.
        "Thought he, it is a wicked world in all meridians; I'll die a pagan."
        ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
        1982 CB900f

Comment

I had a 1000 sporty when I was still in high school. Went riding with some friends after school and got my ass handed to me buy a GS550. Sold that POS and bought my first GS a 81 750 and have never looked back, bought new 750ED in "83 and still have it among others.
          1984 GS1100GK newest addition to the heard
          80 GS 1000gt- most favorite ride love this bike
          1978 GS1000E- Known as "RoadKill" , Finished
          83 gs750ed- first new purchase
          85 EX500- vintage track weapon
          1958Ducati 98 Tourismo
          “Remember When in doubt use full throttle, It may not improve the situation ,but it will end the suspense ,
          If it isn't going to make it faster or safer it isn't worth doing

Comment

I was at the Barber museum today and looked at a few xr750's. If you have not been there it is well worth the stop. That place is amazing. Not really my thing and this bike with that stupid rake does not lend itself to that look. I realize the performance is not up to snuff but I didn't get it for that. I think it will be cool to put around on back country roads with the girlfriend. I am keeping my 80 gs1000E for touring and I have a GSX1100 if I want to go fast. Let's face it, it's a very efficient bike for turning gas into noise with out the side effect of speed or performance. You don't see the old ones on the road anymore. If they are done right there is always someone who will want to buy it if I want to sell. Especially up here in the land of HD. I did realize the the xr750 has the same mags and front brake set up I have on my sporty and I found a bike at Barber I am going to use as my inspiration for the build.
            Things really haven't changed that much in Milwaukee. 46hp in 1934 to 1 more cylinder and 50hp in 2014, at least the disappointing performance has not changed.
            Last edited by Guest; 10-05-2014, 11:34 PM.

Comment

Working...
            X