New to the GS Forum

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New to the GS Forum

Hello everyone, i recently bought a 1980 gs1000g. I have had the bike a month or so and put 1500 miles on it already riding all over SW Missouri and Arkansas. I changed the oil and checked all the fluids. The bike actually has a 1981 gs1100G motor on it. I love the bike and I'm very happy with it. Is there anything else i should replace look for on the bike? here are some photos
    Attached Files

more photos
    Attached Files

Comment

Have you drained and refilled the secondary drive and final drive? How about flushing out the old brake fluid and refilling?
      Spark plugs changed? Valves adjusted? Tires checked for pressure and date codes? All electrical connections cleaned?
      Extra ground wires installed? Others will come up with everything else that I have not listed so far.
      Great roads in your neck of the woods BTW.

Comment

Great looking bike. I'm a real fan of the 1000G's. I've heard that's the best combination, the 1100, in the 1000 frame. Had to laugh at the floor boards in the back though. Welcome to the site. Basically it's just checking the basics, brakes, fluids, tires etc... sounds like the bikes a good runner so far. Have a look at Cliffs site for a manual if you don't have one already, the manuals are pretty good at letting you know what the regular maintenace will be. These things don't require that much and are super dependable.
        Rob
        1983 1100ES, 98' ST1100, 02' DR-Z400E and a few other 'bits and pieces'
        Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Comment

Nice bike, I'd like one exactly like that some day.

I'd put rebuilding the brakes as a top priority. New seals, possibly new pistons and master cylinder bits depending on present condition. And of course new braided stainless steel brake lines.

Welcome and don't miss BassCliff's mega-welcome here: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...ers-CLICK-HERE!!
          Charles
          --
          1979 Suzuki GS850G

Read BassCliff's GSR Greeting and Mega-Welcome!

Comment

Had to laugh at the floor boards in the back though.
            Not a bad idea, actually. My 750E has scratches on top of the otherwise pristine exhausts from where the soles of my wife's boots made contact with them while riding.
            Charles
            --
            1979 Suzuki GS850G

Read BassCliff's GSR Greeting and Mega-Welcome!

Comment

Welcome to the site.
              Along with bigger motor it looks like you have "L" forks with the leading axle.
              2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

Very nice! I have floorboards for my driver pegs and love them!

Comment

Originally posted by eil View Post
                  Nice bike, I'd like one exactly like that some day.

I'd put rebuilding the brakes as a top priority. New seals, possibly new pistons and master cylinder bits depending on present condition. And of course new braided stainless steel brake lines.

Welcome and don't miss BassCliff's mega-welcome here: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...ers-CLICK-HERE!!
                  Braided steel brake lines are one of the best bang for your buck modifications you can do! Rebuild the brakes with OEM parts and replace wheel and steering head bearings. These will give you at least another 30+ years trouble free operation.
                  Johno

current rides 1981 GS1000G and 2005 GSX1400
                  1977 Kawasaki KZ400 D4

previous bikes 1978 GS1000HC
                  1977 GS400
                  1974 Montesa 250
                  1960s Kawasaki 175

Comment

Along with all the others, Yes, very nice bike.

However, there were no 1100G models in 1981.

It might have been built in '81, but was sold as an '82 model.

Might ease some frustration when you look for parts for your "1981 GS1100G" engine.

sigpic
                    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                    Family Portrait
                    Siblings and Spouses
                    Mom's first ride
                    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Congratulations on finding what appears to be a clean unmolested ride. Nice. Welcome.
                      sigpic
                      When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
                      -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
                      -Rusty old scooter.
                      Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
                      https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
                      https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

Originally posted by azr View Post
                        Had to laugh at the floor boards in the back though.
                        Why? Because it's only on the back?

If the sight of rear floor boards is worth a chuckle or two, get ready to bust a gut when "Junior" is done.

sigpic
                        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                        Family Portrait
                        Siblings and Spouses
                        Mom's first ride
                        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

I have 1 a 1000G with a 1983 1100G motor. It has a bit bore power, and no down side to it. Things like the starter clutch are different than in the 1000, so be sure to go there if you need parts. The front end replacement you have is a bit of a scary deal to me. The fork and triple clamp should be changed as a set, as the leading axle takes the trail out of the geometry otherwise. Using the L triple clamp I've been told eliminates the clearance from in between the gas tank and the top of the fork. I would do some measuring and determine precisely what you have there, and make certain that the forks and triple are a matched set.

The other suggestion would be to first put a meter on the battery and check the charging voltage. It should be in the mid 14 volt area, but is likely to be in the low to mid 13 area (from my experience). Check the three connectors between the stator and Regulator/Rectifier (R/R) they probably chow signs of overheating, as will the big red connector from the R/R. I like to solder those. Also, consider adding a ground from the R/R ground on the solenoid mount to the negative terminal on the battery and to the frame. These changes normally fix the charging voltage for me.

If you have the stock springs, you NEED air pressure in the forks. I run about 28 to 30 in mine, and you must use a shock pump to accurately air them up.

Between the comfort, adequate power, decent handling, and dirt cheap prices, I find the GS1000G to be one of my all time favorite bikes. So useable. So durable. There is a reason why there are so many left on the road.

Welcome
                          sigpic Too old, too many bikes, too many cars, too many things

Comment

I will run the motor numbers and see what it actually is tonight. Are the "L" forks better than the stock ones? I actually thought of replacing the front pegs with floor boards. It has a fresh tune up, new plugs, and the K&N airfilter will be here Friday. Carbs were rebuilt, the exhaust is immaculate. Where is the best place to buy brake parts. I would like to upgrade them what are popular conversions and where can I get the parts? I found some parts on ebay and such. Another thing I would like is a cruise control, what is a popular one for this bike and some new hand grips mine are cheap plastic/rubber compound. Thanks!-James

Comment

Front floorboards will be hard to find, but they are out there. Check my thread on the Triple A's I recently found on ebay. There's also another thread here where someone found a set by MC enterprises. Certainly helped my comfort, but they get in the way a little when backing the bike up. Definitely worth it IMHO.

1983 GS750ED-Horsetraded for the Ironhead
                              1981 HD XLH

Drew's 850 L Restoration

Drew's 83 750E Project

Comment

Working...
                              X