Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Returning member, Our GS's story

Hello bikeheads,
    I have been away from this site for some time now. Busy with work and family.
    I enjoy riding and do so as long as the weather and other obligations allow.
    I started on a mini bike, then a 72 70cc Indian mini cycle, then a 73 DT250, then an RD350, then a Z1 and then I had several XS1100 Yamaha's. Upon which I amassed hundreds of thousands of miles. Many a sore ass and stiff neck with nothing but a smile on my face and bugs on the shield (no Corbin or full fairing you know)
    Our bike is now a quite stock appearing 1986 GS1150. The bike had been relieved of its engine at some 9000 mile for use in a mini sprint dirt race car. The engine was blown and then simply scrapped. We found another bike that had been disassembled in a similar way. That engine was put back on the pile of parts after the mini sprint popularity slowed down in the area. That engine was bored to a 1230 and outfitted with several other zoom goodies. The second bike was an 84. The owner had the frame powdercoated gray with the intent of putting things back together. Everything was there but the gas tank (of which I have now 3 or 4 hanging around). Well again interest was lost and it ended up in our shed next to the first. Then we spied another 84 in Iowa. It turned out to be in less than desirable condition but we were assured with a starter it would run. We got a good price and brought it home. Well the starter turned out to be the drive spun on the end of the crank so we used this bike for parts and pieces. I have acquired a good crank and a good transmission along the way thinking it will power a second bike for my son.
    I say we or us or our, as my then 12-13 year old son was along for the whole motorcycle experience.
    We had parts (and have parts) all over. I was busy with other stuff and my son was getting anxious. I told him if he could find all of the engine mounting hardware, as it was pictured in an exploded view, in the buckets of parts we had, we could get to putting the bike together. Well 45 minutes later he had everything laid out exactly like in the book. So surprised or not, there was no reason not to put things together.
    We struggled with the clutch to start as it was sprung really heavy and the basket was pretty grooved up, so we replaced or fixed all of that. Then the jetting left something to be desired but some trial and error sorted that out really well. Now it needs tires again but other than that has been running really well. I am going to cave and buy a real seat one of these days and I need to do something more about the vibration in the bars. A neighbor and friend suggested some tricks for the bars that did work but I need to do something more yet to be really comfortable on those all day rides.
    That's it for now.
    I hope those of you who choose, stay safe on the cafe trail and everybody can keep at least one wheel on the ground.

Fatman

Welcome (back) Fatman.
    As a fellow 1150 owner, ill be awaiting pictures (hint)
    sigpic
    When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
    -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
    -Rusty old scooter.
    Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
    https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

Well here's a pic that's been in the archives.
      The bike spent one winter in a damp shed so it's not quite as showroom pristine as it was but it's really not bad.
      Attached Files

Comment

LOVE IT! thanks for posting. if you need to feel better about it check out mine
        sigpic
        When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
        -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
        -Rusty old scooter.
        Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
        https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
        https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

Great story and good to see that you made it back. I seem to remember a member with that same screen name years ago. Is that still you?

Comment

Working...
          X