Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Just found out about this site for GS knowledge!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just found out about this site for GS knowledge!!

Hello ALL,

Never was into GS models until i saw a 1980 gs550L sitting along the road for sale. I didnt pay much for it and rode it home. With a few modifications such as new tires, brake work, lighting upgrades, removed goofy handle bars i was sitting pretty. I am from southern PA.
    i Also removed the carbs and fixed starter. that was fun. not. i love this thing so much i found another one sitting along the road and picked it up. so now i have a 1982 gs650gl. Needs pretty much the same stuff as the other one. fun stuff.
    Attached Files

Welcome to the site fellow Pa. GS rider.
    Raining cats and dogs here in my part of southern Pa.
    Taking off carbs on a 550, not fun at all!
    Putting back on, even worse!
    Bike looks shiny.
    Any more picts?
    Headlight upgrade?

Comment

Do the 550, and yourself, a favor and take that bag off the forks, it looks like it's almost completely blocking airflow to the cylinder head. If it was just being ridden around town, and not very much at that, NBD, but if it's ridden longer distances and more frequently, the engine will most certainly run hotter than it should from lack of cooling air reaching the cylinder fins, its' primary cooling method.
      Last edited by recycled64; 10-01-2014, 07:06 PM.
      sigpicSome of the totally committed probably should be.
      '58 + '63 Vespa 150's' (London, GB/RI, US)
      '67 X6 T20 ('67 Long Beach, Ca.- misty-eyed)
      '71 Kaw. A1-ugh ('71 SF, CA- worked @ Kaw dlr)
      '66 Yam. YL1('72 SF-commuter beater)
      '73 Kaw. S2A-2Xugh ('73 SF-still parts slave)
      '78 GS 750C ('77 SF-old faithful-killed by son)
      '81 KZ 750E ('81 SF-back to Kaw. dlr)
      '81 GS 650G ('08 back to NE&ME- (project)
      '82 GS '82 (2) GS650GZ, L, Middlebury, G current

Comment

Thanks! The 550 has 38K miles on it but still runs strong. Is there a way to upload pics bigger than thumbnail size? The headlight is the best 30 bucks i spent. Its a 200o lumen 13w LED fan cooled lamp. The darkest moonless night and i can see all the details of the road and surroundings. Only thing is if your riding in a group it may blind riders in front of you. She shines nice even after a car rear ended it and knocked over. It hasnt rained much here. Just keeps looking like its going too.
        Originally posted by Crankthat View Post
        Welcome to the site fellow Pa. GS rider.
        Raisning cats and dogs here in my part of southern Pa.
        Taking off carbs on a 550, not fun at all!
        Putting back on, even worse!
        Bike looks shiny.
        Any more picts?
        Headlight upgrade?

Comment

That makes sense. I ran it for about 30 miles the other day and the motor was super hot!!! especially at stop lights. I just figured since its a higher mileage motor its not going to run as cool as it should. With it being 60 degrees and lower now where i am i would think its nbd. Thanks for pointing that out. The 550 is the one with the fork bag. The 650 needs a few things until road ready.
          Originally posted by recycled64 View Post
          Do the 650, and yourself, a favor and take that bag off the forks, it looks like it's almost completely blocking airflow to the cylinder head. If it was just being ridden around town, and not very much at that, NBD, but if it's ridden longer distances and more frequently, the engine will most certainly run hotter than it should from lack of cooling air reaching the cylinder fins, its' primary cooling method.

Comment

Lets see about the pics, I upload bigger, just not sure how I am doing it.
            [IMG][/IMG]
            Photo from my photobucket account.
            Clicking on insert image icon above while in reply to thread box.
            Clicking on from URL box.
            Pasting (IMG) link from photobucket.
            Unchecking ( Retrieve remote file and reference locally) box.

Photo from computer.
            Dropped and dragged.(Funny, it displayed the code for the pict and would not post as the code is to large for the message)

Photo from computer using insert image icon above.
            Message telling me I am only allowed one photo per post.
            Attached Files

Comment

Looks like the giff I first tried to post came out but not as a gif. (The horse)
              I am thinking photos stored on computer and downloaded from there for this site leave you with limited options for posting as compared to downloaded from a photo server site such as photobucket.

Could you supply me with a bit more info on the light?
              Where acquired?
              Ease of install?

I would appreciate it.
              I ride often after the sun sets and there are many big critters around here.
              I had tried some extra lamps but without being brighter then what I already had not much difference was noticeable.

[IMG][/IMG]

Horse downloaded from photobucket using (IMG) link and (retrieve remote file and reference locally) box unchecked.

Comment

should i post the lighting upgade in a new thread?? Still new to this site. Currently uploading pictures to photobucket.

Looks like the giff I first tried to post came out but not as a gif. (The horse)
                I am thinking photos stored on computer and downloaded from there for this site leave you with limited options for posting as compared to downloaded from a photo server site such as photobucket.

Where acquired?
                Ease of install?

I would appreciate it.
                I had tried some extra lamps but without being brighter then what I already had not much difference was noticeable.

[IMG][/IMG]

Horse downloaded from photobucket using (IMG) link and (retrieve remote file and reference locally) box unchecked.

Comment

Last edited by Guest; 10-03-2014, 02:29 PM.

Comment

My 1980 GS550L

Comment

Crankthat! i put up a new thread in the electrical section for info on the LED headlight.

Where acquired?
                      Ease of install?

I would appreciate it.

[IMG][/IMG]

Comment

Reading now and trying to write a few explanations as to questions posted to you.

Comment

Welcome to the site, very nice L looks in great condition

Comment

Working...
                          X