Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New GS1100G owner

Hi Guys,

This Summer I became a new Suzuki owner, of a purple 1982 GS1100G.
    It has over 50,000 miles, leaked oil like a radial, wouldn't idle and engine hastily painted flat black by PO.
    On the plus side, it has an old GS1000 fairing I like and the 1 year old battery still seems to be charging well.

I changed oil and filter as soon as it got home and checked all the fluids. Added air to the front shocks, what a difference- they were empty.
    The past forum posts lead me to an air leak/lean for the hung idle and after replacing the intake Orings, Boots and air cleaner Boots it idles nicely.
    Following Brian Wringers tach seal tutorial took care of most of the oil on the front of the motor- now I will start to track down the rest of the leaks.

Seems to run ok now, I am getting a late start on riding weather up here in the, soon to be Great White North, but I look forward to seeing where; the road takes me.

Thanks for all the help the site has already given me. I'm not much of an internet forum junkie so I'm abit out of place here, but I enjoy the discussions, opinions, banter, humor and expertise.. CHEERS!

Welcome aboard and congrats on getting yourself an 1100G. I'm on my 6th or 7th 1100G now and love them.
    You have accessed the Motherlode of GS info by joining this forum.
    One of the 1st things you want to do is inspect the rear drive splines for wear. Grease them with some good hi moly content grease while you're there.
    The Winter will give you plenty of time to go through everything on the bike that needs attention.
    Prepare to get your hands dirty and enjoy the road ahead.
    Willie
    Common sense has become so uncommon that I consider it a super power.

Present Stable includes:
    '74 GT750 Resto-mod I've owned since '79
    '83 GS1100E (The best E I've ever enjoyed, Joe Nardy's former bike)
    '82 GS1100G Resto project

Comment

Welcome! Even though it seems to run pretty good you might want to strip, dip carbs. this winter. There is a great how to on Basscliff's site. Think you'll be amazed at how much better it runs.

Comment

Hi midwestgs.

Welcome aboard.

You seem to to be able to find how. And to get things fixed. But do ask question if you are stuck.
        Daniel

1973 Honda ST90
        1983 Suzuki GS1100GK

Comment

Welcome aboard. I am another GS1100G nut (see my projects in my signature below).

These big old girls always seem to get overlooked in favour of the more sexy GS1000Ss and the like but there is heaps of fun to be had with them as I have just found out taking one of mine across the Stelvio Pass in the Alps a few weeks ago. And more importantly, there seems to be more parts available.

Good luck and get some pics up soon.

Greetings
          Last edited by londonboards; 10-04-2014, 04:05 AM.
          Richard
          sigpic
          GS1150 EF bought Jun 2015
          GS1150 ES bought Mar 2014: ES Makeover Thread AND blog: Go to the Blog
          GS1100 G (2) bought Aug 2013: Road Runner Project Thread AND blog: Go to the Blog
          GS1100 G (1) Dad bought new 1985 (in rebuild) see: Dad's GS1100 G Rebuild AND blog: Go to the Blog
          Previously owned: Suzuki GS750 EF (Canada), Suzuki GS750 (UK)(Avatar circa 1977), Yamaha XT500, Suzuki T500, Honda XL125, Garelli 50
          Join the United Kingdom (UK) Suzuki GS Facebook Group here

Comment

Working...
          X