2010 GSX650F from street fighter to tourer/daily commuter bike

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2010 GSX650F from street fighter to tourer/daily commuter bike

So here's a new project which I'm excited to do and post on. With my new job at Middlebury college I have returned to a normal human 40-45 hour work week and with an increase in pay I now have more time and funds to do new and fun Projects. This new project comes from a long line of trading up. Essentially it goes from a $500 buy of a 84 Nighthawk 450 from an old guy in a barn in which I traded months later for a 95 Miata that needed some work from a young kid who was looking to learn to ride. I had the car for a couple years and enjoyed it very much then even traded it for a 2002 Subaru WRX that needed body work, Just last week I traded that for this gem of a motorcycle: 2010 gsx650f.

Now the bike came stripped of all it's stock fairings and in need of a front tire for the Stock dunlop is looking pretty thin(ordered a new and on the way). Bike has 12K on the clock, fires right up (love me fuel injection) gets awesome gas mileage (45-50mpg). Nimble but the dual cradled frame reminds me very much of my old and bulky Bandit 1200. I was considering buying an FZ6 just to setup for daily commuting but I never like the low to mid range on those bikes. Sure for a 600 it pulls hard but only north of 11K rpm, They are just dogs down low. This bike is the opposite. It falls flat on it's face after 10K However its torquey and has good amount of midrange and low end power. Pulls power wheelies as easy as my FZ1 in first and feels more like a 750cc bike then a revvy 600cc. I can't begin to tell you how much this bike feels like a bandit 1200. The ergos are just about dead on... Makes since sense it a full faired Bandit 650 essentially... I'm still in shock that with only a $500 investment 2 years ago I've managed to trade up to the newest vehicle I've owned.

Goal:
    Turn this capable good running bike into a fuel sipping commuter bike that I can also use for long distance touring and trips when the time comes. I believe the power plant is perfect for loaded travels yet once stripped it won't be an awkward dog like a Vstrom 650 in turns and high speed runs.

I intend of buying all the hard ware to "re-install" the full fairing, Givi Bags are also in the cards, I'll be using my V45 top case from my FZ1 same with Ergo upgrades to make the bike more comfortable. First step is the wind protection. It's going to cost a pretty penny for all the upgrades but I believe it will be worth it.

I'm open to all suggestions on my project.
    Jedz Moto
    1980 Suzuki GS1000G
    1988 Honda GL1500-6
    2018 Triumph Bonneville T120-
    2020 Honda Monkey Z125
    2001 Honda Insight - 65MPG
    Originally posted by Hayabuser
    Cool is defined differently by different people... I'm sure the new rider down the block thinks his Ninja 250 is cool and why shouldn't he? Bikes are just cool.

You living near the college now? Be sure to look up Recycled64, he is only about a mile east.

I enjoyed that little town for the few weeks I worked there, a few years ago.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Steve I'm a native Middlebury..er... It's nice to be home, I've been looking to get out of Sbarro for about a year the final catylist was when my mother was diagnosed with cancer a year ago... I've been looking and praying for an opening. My job was just created in the retail dinning just this past year and they were looking for a GM with retail experience to fill it, with awesome college employee benefits, 40 CTO paid days off a year PLUS mandatory paid time off for Thanksgiving week and 3 weeks in December it truly was an answer to my prayers. Not to mention my salary is more then when I was a GM with Sbarro...
      I'll look up Recycled64, I've run into him years ago in Burlington. LOL I generally start up a conversation with anyone who's ridding a GS. I'm sure he'd love to oversee my projects.
      Hope life and the Newish job is treating you well Steve. I'm really glad to see your not running the roads anymore BUT I do miss the random calls to use my facilities. I did pick up a GR650 couple months back for dirt cheap so I'm still wrenching on GS's (The GR650 is a GS twin I don't care what anyone says).
      Keep in touch!
      Jedz Moto
      1980 Suzuki GS1000G
      1988 Honda GL1500-6
      2018 Triumph Bonneville T120-
      2020 Honda Monkey Z125
      2001 Honda Insight - 65MPG
      Originally posted by Hayabuser
      Cool is defined differently by different people... I'm sure the new rider down the block thinks his Ninja 250 is cool and why shouldn't he? Bikes are just cool.

Comment

Working...
      X