Hi, and the basketcase quandry...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi, and the basketcase quandry...

Hi there, Long time rider, racer, builder. I have heard of GSR before, but never had a reason to visit... until now. Drove down to Florida to pick up an '81 GS750E on impulse (Craigslist). It's... a project.

It's not in as quite as good a shape as the seller depicted, or it looks in the pic. According to the PO, it was a victim of a high school shop/automotive tech class, where it was taken apart and put back together (probably many times). The engine and carbs seem all there, but gaskets and such are missing. And Lots of little chassis things are missing and would need to be replaced and restored. But its more or less all there, even the funky TV set headlight. And the frame has a good title.

My question is what do with it now. I see having two options. 1) Part it out on feebay and double my money. 2) SPEND double (or more) of my money and rebuild it. Of that I see a coupla' choices either stock, or as an '80s era SuperBike replica. I'm not really keen on bobbing, chopping, and other mutilation. And its really to late/big to make a authentic cafe' bike.

Path of least resistance it to break it up, but the sentimentalist in me doesn't want to. So you guys are the "GS's advocates". What do you think?
    Last edited by Guest; 10-07-2014, 11:29 PM.

Originally posted by JamesWhut? View Post
    Hi there, Long time rider, racer, builder. I gave heard of GSR before, but never had a reason to visit... until now. Drove down to Florida to pick up an '81 GS750E on impulse (Craigslist). It's... a project.

It's not in as quite as good a shape as the seller depicted, or it looks in the pic. According to the PO, it was a victim of a high school shop/automotive tech class, where it was taken apart and put back together (probably many times). The engine and carbs seem all there, but gaskets and such are missing. And Lots of little chassis things are missing and would need to be replaced and restored. But its more or less all there, even the funky TV set headlight. And the frame has a good title.

My question is what do with it now. I see having two options. 1) Part it out on feebay and double my money. 2) SPEND double (or more) of my money and rebuild it. Of that I see a coupla' choices either stock, or as an '80s era SuperBike replica. I'm not really keen on bobbing, chopping, and other mutilation. And its really to late/big to make a authentic cafe' bike.

Path of least resistance it to break it up, but the sentimentalist in me doesn't want to. So you guys are the "GS's advocates". What do you think?
    First thing welcome to the site. Second, where are you from? Third, how much did you pay?

The bike is already torn down so makes parting much easier so that's where I would head with it. Your not mentioning if you have the correct paperwork (title) for it which would influence my decision.

Comment

Before making any decision you'll need to make sure the engines bottom end and top end are in good shape. If they are, and the body work is in good condition, then think about rehabbing it. If not, part it out.
      De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

Originally posted by nejeff View Post
        Your not mentioning if you have the correct paperwork (title) for it which would influence my decision.
        It came with a FL title. How good it is will be seen when I try to transfer it.

Originally posted by rustybronco View Post
        Before making any decision you'll need to make sure the engines bottom end and top end are in good shape. If they are, and the body work is in good condition, then think about rehabbing it. If not, part it out.
        I took the cam cover off and it looked ok in there, dry but ok. I can tell the rest of the crank and gear box are there in that heavy SOB of an engine. Tank and plastics are useable but show wear and tear. Tank is in really good condition inside.

Comment

It's not about if it 'has' a crankshaft, rather if the bearings are toast.
          engines bottom end and top end are in good shape
          De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

Originally posted by rustybronco View Post
            It's not about if it 'has' a crankshaft, rather if the bearings are toast.
            That is assumed if a bunch of ham fisted teenagers have had their way with its innards... Bearings and gaskets are easy & cheap if the big bits are useable.

Comment

Hi and welcome!

I used to have a thread on my '81 GS750E with lots of pretty pictures but it appears to have gotten deleted somehow. I guess I need to start archiving my threads somewhere else because the forum is only showing me starting 18 threads which is a ridiculously low number.

Anyway, here's what one of these looks like fully assembled (and with an aftermarket windscreen):

My opinion: This is a good vintage bike, but not rare or particularly valuable. You will spend way more rehabbing it than what it's worth. Especially if it's been manhandled by kids over the years. I would expect lots of boogered-up screws, broken bolts, stripped threads, and missing parts. You will have far less aggrevation (and more money) in the end by parting it out.

But if you're up for a challenge and want a great-looking, fun-to-ride bike and don't mind parting with some excess cash then go for it!
              Charles
              --
              1979 Suzuki GS850G

Read BassCliff's GSR Greeting and Mega-Welcome!

Comment

Get out from under it before it's too late. It will nickel-dime you to an early grave.

Comment

Originally posted by rwnielsen View Post
                  Get out from under it before it's too late. It will nickel-dime you to an early grave.
                  Been there, done that! Have a drawer full of very expensive t-shirts to prove it.

You guys are supposed to be facilitating me, not telling me to "Run Away!"... LOL

But yeah... I hear ya.

But on the other hand... those old dinosaur superbikes were so cool.

Maybe I'm just being nostalgic...

Comment

Originally posted by nejeff View Post
                    The bike is already torn down so makes parting much easier so that's where I would head with it. Your not mentioning if you have the correct paperwork (title) for it which would influence my decision.
                    As the bike is already torn apart it is also much easier to put it back together right. The engine looks like it has been given some love somewhere. How are the other painted body parts/tank?

Comment

Originally posted by GSX1000E View Post
                      How are the other painted body parts/tank?
                      Useable in a rough DGAS way. Tank is nice, but has a spot where the paint peeled away from a leaky petcock (oddly no rust). The plastics have that, "we were left in the bottom of a box with dirty, heavy stuff on top of us for a long, long time" look. Even the taillight lens. They and the frame definitely have the "authentic patina" thing going.

Comment

But on the other hand... those old dinosaur superbikes were so cool.
                        Yes, indeed they were

Comment

Someone's selling a half-assed "cafed" GS750 on ebay for $4K. I can do the above Yosh replica for half that...

Inventoried the parts today. The only major components missing are the instruments and the ICU/Igniter box.
                          Last edited by Guest; 10-08-2014, 02:21 PM.

Comment

Bike did the "explode around the garage" thing today. No unpleasant surprises yet. Still debating if it should stay or should it go...

Cleaned up tank and plasticy bits:

Comment

Aaah rats no instruments...I need a tach, mine went south last weekend.
                              sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
                              1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
                              2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

Working...
                              X