Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I already love this place

Hi Guys,
    I just joined this forum today as I recently started looking at bikes again.

My first bike was an '81 GS650GL. I had never really thought about getting a motorcycle until one day - while going for walk I passed by a GS550L and was enamored. Within 2 weeks I had the 650 in my driveway and a license in my pocket. For the next 2 years I lived on 2 wheels and had a grin permanently tatooed to my face.

I eventually sold the bike thinking I wanted to try 'new technology' - fuel injected, water cooled, and modern day braking system. I bought the bike I thought I wanted (2001 Triumph Sprint ST) only to find a totally different riding experience. Really that Triumph was a sweet machine but just different. I sold it after a few months as the short ride to work in rush hour traffic was not enjoyable, and long rides were uncomfortable.

I haven't thought about a bike since, until... you guessed it, saw another GS. I got picked up to play golf last weekend and a GS followed us out of my development. Hours later I returned, with the GS pulling in behind us! It must have been a sign

I found that I thought would be a nice deal on an '81 750L and have some threads about it here. I am/was pretty excited until I saw the inside of the tank, now not so sure what will happen.

Anyway, the GS bikes are so sweet and I am glad to find a group of people who have the same thought, and I'm sure all kinds of experience with riding, tuning, rebuilding, etc. So thanks for being here, and reading this far if you actually made it

Good story. I suspect our DNA has a wheel on each end.
    sigpic
    1983 GS1100ES (Bought July 2014)
    1983 GS1100E (Bought July 2014)
    1985 GS700ES (Bought June 2015) Sold
    On Christ the Solid Rock I Stand
    All Other Ground is Sinking Sand

Comment

Lots of us leave for newer bikes but most come back. I do like abs, traction control etc but love the feel of my old gs,s.

Comment

GS650GL Brown.jpg Here is the bike that started it all - this was the pic from the Craigslist listing.

Comment

...and with a little TLC
          Attached Files

Comment

Welcome to GSR from up here in NE Ohio.

I agree with glib. There are wheels at the ends of my DNA.

Comment

Gawd, another one in OhiO . Welcome to the asylum Joe.
              -Mal

"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." - B. Banzai

78 GS750E

Comment

Welcome, Joe! Ohio seems to be the center of the Suzuki GS world or something. If you ever need a hand or a group ride, there should be quite a few members nearby.

Nice bikes. Maintain them well and you can ride them pretty much forever.
                Charles
                --
                1979 Suzuki GS850G

Read BassCliff's GSR Greeting and Mega-Welcome!

Comment

Originally posted by allojohn View Post
                  Gawd, another one in OhiO .
                  And not just "OhiO", but southwest oHIo.

Darn near next door to Dogma, and not all that far from me and about 20 other GSers.

sigpic
                  mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                  hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                  #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                  #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                  Family Portrait
                  Siblings and Spouses
                  Mom's first ride
                  Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                  (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Thanks guys - it is nice to hear. I am not the most experienced rider in that I've only been on rides with other people twice. It would be cool to meet up with some other GS guys once I get myself back up and running. You can give me all the grief you want but nothing will wipe the smile off my face once I'm back riding an 'L'.

Comment

Welcome Joe!!
                      Tough time of the year to be riding up there aint it? Why anyone would wanna live up there is beyond me. But then there's lots beyond me, so..

Be safe and ride the wheels of of it!!
                      sigpic

82 GS850
                      78 GS1000
                      04 HD Fatboy

...............................____
                      .................________-|___\____
                      ..;.;;.:;:;.,;.|__(O)___|____/_(O)|

Comment

Don't worry about the tank....with few exceptions, almost anything can be repaired.

Depending on your city/town there may be a radiator shop or even a gas tank repair shop that can professionally clean and coat it for you.
                        My experience was that this is not only cost-effective, (about $20 more than a DIY Kreem job, ) but it came with a bonus as they gave me a two year written warranty. Never had a leak.
                        "If you scare people enough, they will demand removal of freedom. This is the path to tyranny."
                        Elon Musk Jan, 2022

Comment

If there is no salt and no ice, its ok to ride... just have to watch nighttime temps. It is a little chilly but thats the area we live in.
                          sigpic'85 GS1150 1428 14-1 200+hp Hang On

Comment

I moved here from Vermont so I don't know what you guys are talking about My first year in Ohio I was on the bike in February!

Comment

Might as well update this thread...
                              (I do need to get some better pics)
                              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                              X