Returning Member. Long time gone....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Returning Member. Long time gone....

Just wanted to say hello again. I was pretty active on the Forum circa 2009-10 or so. I've been looking around, and I see some familiar faces and a lot of new ones. Back then I was planning a cross country trip from NJ to Cali and back on my '78 GS750. Wanted to get her in tip top shape for the trip, and got a lot of great advice and help on here (and some parts in great shape too).

I took the trip (9000 miles over the course of 3 months...I took a VERY roundabout route) and was off the grid the entire time, so I didn't post on here at all. I had an amazing time, and saw some beautiful things. It wasn't my first cross country trip (not by far), but it was my first one on a bike. I kept to back country and desert roads, ate at mom and pop restaurants, and slept in a tent or crashed with friends and the occasional hotel/motel along the way. Somewhere around Utah on the way out, I developed a small trickle from the head gasket. Replaced a rear tire in Denver on the way back, as Kansas and MO on the way out left me with one hell of a flat spot. By the time I hit Ohio on the way back, my engine was p*ssing oil to the point where I always wore my rain pants and got rid of some gear so I could carry enough oil in my saddlebags to keep her full. There were a few points though where I was in the boonies and went through oil and couldn't resupply, and the level got dangerously low. I think I fried my stator, among other things. Managed to limp her home to Jersey, but she was in sad shape. I parked the bike in my sister's garage and haven't touched it since. A sad, sad state of affairs.

Finally got sick of "I really need to get my bike back up and running" so now it's "I'm gonna fix my bike." Luckily it was so covered in oil, that there was no rust from sitting... I already ripped the carbs off, gave 'em a nice soak in Berrymans and rebuilt with my fresh set of o-rings from cycleorings.com. I'm gonna continue down the list of basic maintenance items, so that I can begin to diagnose how bad the damage actually is. This will more than likely include a complete top end rebuild among other things. I'll be sure to post pics as I go, and probably ask a lot of questions on here... I'll also dig out pics from my cross country run and post those. Maybe in this thread, maybe in a separate one.

On a side note... Tkent, if you're reading this I still have your front fender. Thank you for all your help, and sorry I fell off the map after the fact.

More to follow.
    sigpic

Check out my rebuild thread here: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...GS-750-Rebuild

Welcome (back). Sounds like it was a great trip. Im looking forward to seeing the pictures.
    Where in NJ are you located?
    sigpic
    When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
    -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
    -Rusty old scooter.
    Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
    https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

Sorry to hear of your troubles but I'm looking forward to some pictures. Welcome back.
      Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
      1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
      2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
      Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
      and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

I would be interested in hearing more about your cross country trip.
        (I am concidering such for visiting our daughter in southern CA.)

Where was the oil leak? Cam cover? Head gasket? Tach drive?

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
        GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Originally posted by dorkburger View Post
          Welcome (back). Sounds like it was a great trip. Im looking forward to seeing the pictures.
          Where in NJ are you located?
          I'm in Woodbridge right now... Freehold's not too far away
          sigpic

Check out my rebuild thread here: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...GS-750-Rebuild

Comment

Originally posted by Redman View Post
            I would be interested in hearing more about your cross country trip.
            (I am concidering such for visiting our daughter in southern CA.)

Where was the oil leak? Cam cover? Head gasket? Tach drive?

The leak was from the head gasket... have my engine out now... and about to tear it down.
            sigpic

Comment

The things we see and do along the way are often planned, and represent the reasons we take trips.

Troubles that occur....and get solved.....often change the trips from memorable to standouts.

Sounds like you enjoyed yourself, and had more than a few experiences that may be worth the telling.

If you have the time, write a story about it.
              "If you scare people enough, they will demand removal of freedom. This is the path to tyranny."
              Elon Musk Jan, 2022

Comment

DOnt need engine "out" to replace head gasket, do you?

Did you ever make a trip report, post pics ectera?
                9000 miles, wow,
                3 months, wow,

Tell us about meeting Mr. Tom tkent02.
                (I should also visit him, if/when I do make a cross-country-SanDiego trip. He visited me in Michigan once a couple years ago.)

Dave
                Last edited by Redman; 04-09-2015, 12:36 PM.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
                GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Originally posted by Redman View Post
                  DOnt need engine "out" to replace head gasket, do you?

Did you ever make a trip report, post pics ectera?
                  9000 miles, wow,
                  3 months, wow,

Tell us about meeting Mr. Tom tkent02.
                  (I should also visit him, if/when I do make a cross-country-SanDiego trip. He visited me in Michigan once a couple years ago.)

Dave
                  I don't "need" the engine out to do the head gasket... But if I'm gonna do the head gasket, I should replace the base gasket too. And if I'm gonna have the head off, I might as well lap the valves.... and if I'm gonna lap the valves, I might as well... you see where this is going

Mostly though, it's because I don't have a garage right now and this is gonna take some time. I'm not comfortable leaving my engine apart while it's outside, so I just took the engine off the frame so that I can work on it inside... And If I have the engine off, I might as well paint the frame...and If I'm gonna paint the frame, I might as well...

Never did a trip report, but I might tell that story and post some pics one of these days...

Tom is definitely a great guy, and has a nice little thing going on there "somewhere near south park" wouldn't mind riding on over his way again....

If you want to check out my build thread, stop on over here: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum/showthread.php?231050-78-GS-750-Rebuild

That saga is just beginning...
                  sigpic

Comment

Working...
                  X