SE Indiana 78 GS750

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SE Indiana 78 GS750

Hi Guys, I have been working on my bike since August. It has about 13K miles on it, before me it sat for a while outside and got dropped on a trailer which put a huge crease in the tank. It was running on 3 cylinders and very dirty, and rusty. I took off the fairing and cleaned up the carbs and engine before I got pics.

Before(ish) shots:

I adjusted the valves, cleaned and bench synched carbs, intalled new petcock, put in an air filter, and rebuilt rear brakes to get it running and stopping well. After that I did some body work on the tank and painted the bike. Added front turn signals, new seat cover, replace headlight bucket. Just this week I put on the superbike bars and bar end mirrors. Cleaned dozens of rusty fasteners. Took her out today and she was running great. Here are a few shots from today, it was overcast so the 'metalicness' of the paint doesnt show- but you get the idea.

A big thanks to everyone who has contributed to the site. It sure has made getting her running good and troubleshooting a lot more fun.

Hope you like the bike!
    Ride Safe,
    Jason
    Last edited by CrazyCloud; 10-13-2014, 10:11 PM.
    Regards,
    Jason

Nice restoration so far, congrats on the hard work.
    Rob
    1983 1100ES, 98' ST1100, 02' DR-Z400E and a few other 'bits and pieces'
    Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Comment

Very nice! Polish up those sidecovers and it will look even better. Nice to see another Hoosier on here.

Comment

Thanks. It seems like the more I fix it up, the more the unfinished stuff sticks out. I think doing the sidecovers will make it look a lot nicer, that's on the list for this fall. I still need to synch the carbs on the bike, and new mufflers sometime. Cylinder 3 or 4 is putting some oil in the exhaust on start up. It's not burning much oil, so hopefully it's just a valve guide. That's on the 'someday' list for now. I'd say it's 80+% finished.

A few shots showing the color a little better, the paint is Duplicolor Chevy Dark Metallic Blue with SprayMax 2K clear on top:

Hopefully it isn't too much of a "Jim-Bob special"!
        Last edited by CrazyCloud; 10-13-2014, 10:08 PM.
        Regards,
        Jason

Comment

Nice work. The cases can be done at your leisure.
          It's a lot cleaner then either of mine.
          ---- Dave
          79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
          80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
          79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
          92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

I LOVE that color blue. What did you do to the fuel cap cover? Polish it or paint it?

Comment

I just stripped off the old paint and sanded through 1000 grit, followed by one coat of clear. It's a nice matte aluminum color.
              Regards,
              Jason

Comment

Nice job, man. Looks great. I do like that blue you chose.

Comment

Welcome to the forum, and the bike looks good. There's always something that needs polishing, etc. take your time, and enjoy the bike.
                  1978 GS1000E
                  1980 GS1000S (Wes Cooley Replica)
                  1981 GS1100E
                  1982 GS1100E
                  1982 GS1000SZ
                  1983 GS1100ED
                  1983 GS1100ESD
                  1978 Honda CB750K
                  1981 Honda CB900F

Comment

Just noticed this thread and saw your location.

Nice-looking bike, I expect to see it at the Brown County Rally next June.

Hopefully you are up to the trip by then, it's all the way over in Bedford.

sigpic
                    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                    Family Portrait
                    Siblings and Spouses
                    Mom's first ride
                    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Nice work. My '78 is similar but in '64 Chevy Malibu Silver-Blue Metallic. Later you can strip the clear coat off the engine covers and polish them. Looks like you did all this for not a lot of money. Even better.

Comment

Working...
                      X