I know nothing about bikes but thought "why not buy one"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I know nothing about bikes but thought "why not buy one"

Hello everyone, my name is Chris, I'm 22 years old, from BC Canada and as the title states, I know nothing about bikes. I came across a 1981 Gs400L on a craigslist bidding site and was able to pick it up for $300. It should be getting dropped off tomorrow night. Yes, for those wondering, I bought the bike sight unseen. All I know about the bike is that it has "never been dropped" it has been stored outside for that last 6 years, under cover but still able to get wet, and up against a fence where it hasn't seen sun either for the last 6 years. The bike has "surface rust" as well as some water in the tank. (I found that out after winning the bike for $300)
    My plan for the bike is to get it running like a top and make sure it is all safe to ride before starting the process of making it look a little more café.
    From what I've gathered from reading the forums over the last couple days, I should start by cleaning and removing all rust from the tank. I've also read that I should completely clean the carbs, all new o rings but try and reuse the same jets if possible? I've emailed Robert A. Barr about a couple of o rings in hopes he can help me out. From there I know nothing else, looking for ideas, help and guidance.

thanks
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Guest; 10-16-2014, 10:05 PM.

Good luck with it. Lots of members in the BC area on this site, maybe someone can lend a hand. You'll need information, likely a helping hand and a checkbook/credit card. Expect to spend another $800 to $1000 if things go well. Welcome to the forum

Comment

Hello Chris, I am just down the road about 20 minutes from you and have fixed up a few old GS Suzuki's in the last few years.

I'm available for help and coaching if needed and know a few local businesses that provide good work on these old bikes.

Let me know if you need anything.

David
      2018 Honda Africa Twin AS
      2013 DR 650 Grey, sold 1981 GS 650E Silver,

1980 GS1000ST Blue & White, X2

2012 DL650 Vstrom Foxy Orange, in storage
      1981 CT110 X2 "Postie Bikes" Gone to a New Home.
      2002 BMW 1150 GS Blue & White - Sold
      1975 BMW R90/6 Black - Sold 1984 GS1150EF Sold
      1982 BMW R100 Africa trip, Stolen - Recovered- Sold
      1977-1980 Suzuki GS550, GS1000E, GS1000S GSX750, GSX1100,s
      Hondas ST90, CR125 CB175 , CB350 CB750, NSU Quickly, Yamaha RD's 350/400,

Comment

Take a motorcycle safety course first. Make sure motorcycling is something you actually want to do. Not every one is cut out for it.
        Last edited by mrbill5491; 10-17-2014, 12:13 AM.
        sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
        1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
        2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

Originally posted by mrbill5491 View Post
          Take a motorcycle safety course first. Make sure motorcycling is something you actually want to do. Not every one is cut out for it.
          ^^^Best advice of the day!!
          sigpic
          1983 GS1100ES (Bought July 2014)
          1983 GS1100E (Bought July 2014)
          1985 GS700ES (Bought June 2015) Sold
          On Christ the Solid Rock I Stand
          All Other Ground is Sinking Sand

Comment

Have you ever ridden before? If not then yeah schedule the MSF. But it may be too late for this season if the last course is in October. Nice to know if it's something you like before sinking $500+ into it. Then look up the forum member who offered to help. Welcome to the forum. Online help here is great but somebody who's familiar with a GS helping in person may be better!

BTW, your thumbnail pic is pretty small so it's hard to tell, but it looks in rough shape. If you start with the makeover then yes definitely work on some of the essential mechanical stuff like getting it running, brakes and tires before sinking a lot of time or $ into cosmetics and making it pretty!
            Last edited by Guest; 10-17-2014, 09:45 AM.

Comment

Carbs and tank a must, cleaning ALL electrical connections a must, making sure the stator is good and system is charging... also a must! Make sure it's got a good chain, also flush all the fluids including brake fluid. Definitely take a MSF! Look at the squid at it's finest thread in the general section to see what can happen if you don't know what you're doing.

Comment

Originally posted by 81GS850 View Post
                Carbs and tank a must, cleaning ALL electrical connections a must, making sure the stator is good and system is charging... also a must! Make sure it's got a good chain, also flush all the fluids including brake fluid. Definitely take a MSF! Look at the squid at it's finest thread in the general section to see what can happen if you don't know what you're doing.
                Bad example because that squid walked away intact. Not the case most of the time when you hit something going 70mph

Comment

Originally posted by huntb View Post
                  Bad example because that squid walked away intact. Not the case most of the time when you hit something going 70mph
                  So we need someone to die to prove a point? The fact he walked away was a miracle. I think he gets the point.

Comment

The GS450L, is in my opinion, one of the best bikes ever for a Cafe project. You might need a couple extra hacksaw blades for a project. Some "Builders" like to start with the removal of components like airbox and electrical boxes and fenders, then sawing of the frame and mufflers. Others like to get it running and ride-able first. Its all up to you. So much potential. Have you settled on a style? A little Brat, or Bobber thrown in? Its all up to you!! Personally, I'm of the opinion that getting it working first is a good place to start. Remember, removal of the airbox and sawing of mufflers will make it run very badly without fairly expensive and extensive carb mods. Some "Builders" are OK with the poor running.
                    sigpic Too old, too many bikes, too many cars, too many things

Comment

Hi, C_ouellet. Welcome to the forum! .... she does look a little rusty on the tank from what I can see. You'll find a ton of help here
                      BikeCliff's Website

I think the Haynes manual ("GSX 400" manual)is the best one for you being the 8 valve engine that you have but read everything!

and there's some excellent modders here to help with painting and all. I'd stick with the stock airbox until you get her running. sexy "pods" can be done much later.

Comment

Alright, so ill add checking all the electrical connections and making sure the stator is "good". Not sure what that is or what that means so ill have something to read up about over the weekend.
                        I checked out that "squid at his finest" thread, id like to say I'm not that stupid and wouldn't ride without gear on, let alone scandals. My dad also rides, he has a Honda St1100 I believe, I'm sure he'd be more then happy to teach me how to ride once I have a safe and reliable bike as well as all the riding gear. As far as style of the bike, I'm completely unsure, I change my style every 3 days, last week I couldn't live without a 1979 VW rabbit, now I've got a 81 Gs400L. The only thing I can say for sure is that I'd like it to seat 2. As far as the engine goes, ill be keeping the stock air box and exhaust until its running good. I could only imagine the nightmares I'd encounter with tuning the carbs if I had pods and the exhaust cut up. Any more tips and pointers out there?

Hello Chris, I am just down the road about 20 minutes from you and have fixed up a few old GS Suzuki's in the last few years
                        where abouts are you from, the bike will be in brookswood for the time being.

Comment

Originally posted by C_OUELLET View Post
                          Alright, so ill add checking all the electrical connections and making sure the stator is "good". Not sure what that is or what that means so ill have something to read up about over the weekend.
                          I checked out that "squid at his finest" thread, id like to say I'm not that stupid and wouldn't ride without gear on, let alone scandals. My dad also rides, he has a Honda St1100 I believe, I'm sure he'd be more then happy to teach me how to ride once I have a safe and reliable bike as well as all the riding gear. As far as style of the bike, I'm completely unsure, I change my style every 3 days, last week I couldn't live without a 1979 VW rabbit, now I've got a 81 Gs400L. The only thing I can say for sure is that I'd like it to seat 2. As far as the engine goes, ill be keeping the stock air box and exhaust until its running good. I could only imagine the nightmares I'd encounter with tuning the carbs if I had pods and the exhaust cut up. Any more tips and pointers out there?

where abouts are you from, the bike will be in brookswood for the time being.
                          Good luck! And the stator is like part of the alternator on the car. It's the charging system and located inside the bike engine cover. If the bike isn't charging it's either the stator, regulator/rectifier (r/r), battery, or bad electrical connections.

I would still suggest taking the MSF course. I took it and I still wouldn't trust myself to teach someone how to ride and what to look out for. Your dad might know how to ride but I wouldn't trust just his teachings alone, JMO.

Comment

I didn't notice that you had the 4 valve head. Awesome. We didn't get that in the USA.
                            sigpic Too old, too many bikes, too many cars, too many things

Comment

Originally posted by 850 Combat View Post
                              I didn't notice that you had the 4 valve head. Awesome. We didn't get that in the USA.
                              Is the 4 valve better? I'm still trying to find out what parts are interchangeably between all the years/models/engines

Comment

Working...
                              X