Hello 2 all

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hello 2 all

Let me do the right thing by starting off and introducing myself to all. I have ridden all types of bikes over my 42 years on two wheels. Some of the bikes that stand out are a 420 hp turbo hayabusa, 246 rwhp carpenter triumph rocket, big dog mastiff and a host of every flavor and brand known to man.

A few weeks back I came across a 82 GS850l for sale, unmolested...stock, low miles and a clean title. It found its way home with me. I changed all the fluids, cleaned the carbs, put in a new battery and it came to life.

I rode it up the street and it was a nice ride, brought it back home and tucked it away. The following day began to try to fix the few problems, the tach is very slow...border line sticky and unresponsive, the horn does not work everything else was in order. I removed the tack and read online what is inside and realized that I have no interest in trying to crack the case to clean it out so I purchased a used one online. The plugs were replaced with a non R type autolight but listed as a suitable replacement when doing a search online.

This is where my problems began, I went to take it out the following day, fired right up and all went dead..The 15 amp fuse blew, I replaced it and with in a few seconds of the bike starting (choke on and idle around 2500-3k rougt guess- tach issues) pop again.
    Today I looked at as many wires as I could find and did not see any exposed/touching the frame/ground (i will check again..this time by lifting the tank) and put in a 10 amp fuse (ran out of 15). The bike was fired up and when the use popped I could see some smoke and an electrical burning type of smell coming from under the battery tray area. No smoke was coming from the fuse box. I kind of freaked out and quickly disconnected the battery terminals.

At this point common sense would say there must be a chafed/exposed wire causing this dead short with in 5-10 seconds of the bike running, that being said having exhausted my fuse supply I thought it would make more sense to reach out to people who know more about this bike then I.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Comment

Hi,inline-That does look nice! Thanks for posting great pix!
      Now, as to electrical fire..well, that is not a common quirk of Suzukis It just may be that when you put the new battery in....I mean, first place I look for trouble is the last place I was at...
      but first off, get thee over to here

and dig in. ... a manual there and these have the wiring diagrams and a ton of good info everywhere on the site.
      Last edited by Gorminrider; 11-07-2014, 09:33 PM.

Comment

Working...
      X