New GS owner

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New GS owner

Hello fellow Gs owners. Yesterday i became the owner of a 80 Gs1000g. I have been a die hard Honda fan for many years making this my first Suzuki. I paid 300 dollars for the bike, it ran and rolled down the road under its own power. My plans for the bike are to keep it original for now until i get all the bugs worked out of it. Its needs some work if not more then what i counted on. Some one has taken a can of silver spray paint to the poor thing but what gets me the most is the wire harness. the wiring looks like some one with a hatchet and roll of electrical tape decided to reenact a slasher movie on it . So i will need some help getting that lined out. At one time i could build an entire harness for the old Honda cb bikes from memory. Cant wait to get the old girl on the road.

some of my other interest are, Rc airplanes, and i have a Honda XR400 dirt bike. And crazy me built a craftsman lawn mower with a Honda cb550 motor in it.

Thanks for all the future help,
    Daniel

Welcome to the site, Daniel.
    A running, moving project for $300 sounds like a deal to me.
    Lots of members put their location in their avatar. You might have a helpful GSer nearby.
    2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

Welcome, and good luck...As Steve said a running bike for $300 sounds like a good start. Ive never had the pleasure, but have read here a 1000g is a great and comfortable long distance rig.
      sigpic
      When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
      -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
      -Rusty old scooter.
      Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
      https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
      https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

Welcome.

Now we just have to see a CB550 in a lawnmover. Pictures please.

Also, promise you won't end up putting a GS motor in one? Some of us around here would be sad to see that.

Greetings
        Richard
        sigpic
        GS1150 EF bought Jun 2015
        GS1150 ES bought Mar 2014: ES Makeover Thread AND blog: Go to the Blog
        GS1100 G (2) bought Aug 2013: Road Runner Project Thread AND blog: Go to the Blog
        GS1100 G (1) Dad bought new 1985 (in rebuild) see: Dad's GS1100 G Rebuild AND blog: Go to the Blog
        Previously owned: Suzuki GS750 EF (Canada), Suzuki GS750 (UK)(Avatar circa 1977), Yamaha XT500, Suzuki T500, Honda XL125, Garelli 50
        Join the United Kingdom (UK) Suzuki GS Facebook Group here

Comment

Kudo's Daniel,

With all the money you saved on the purchase price you might as well bite the bullet and start the restoration.

Your parts manual

Your specific manual supplement is at the very end

A plethoria of stuff

So, upgrade the Regulator/Rectifier as your 1st priority, no sense in burning up that stator and some of the wiring (the GS routes the grounding of the stator very oddly) due to shunting the excess current at highter rpm's from overcharging the battery. Go figure...

Comment

A titled/running big GS for $300 is a good start for sure.

Comment

Welcome! I want to see that mower also ! I have a spare gs1000 motor I have thought about finding an off road dune buggy style chassis for.
              82 gs1100e FAUX Skunk
              80 gs1000s

Comment

Thanks for the welcome
                For all of you interested in the mower check out http://www.youtube.com/user/dgoesman

Thanks for the links to the great info, i will be putting that to very good use.

The reg/rec has been changed on the bike, but not hooked up. i searched the number on it and it comes up as a unit for a 99-02 SV650 (SH535C-12)
                Will that work?

Comment

You made your own rear disc rotor out of a chunk of aluminum!!? Making these GS models run well should be a cake walk for you. Looking forward to see what you create.

Comment

Your neighbors must love you
                    Welcome to the site!!

P.S. Mow your lawn

Comment

And the Story Goes Like This...

Originally posted by Goesman View Post
                      Hello fellow Gs owners. Yesterday i became the owner of a 80 Gs1000g. I have been a die hard Honda fan for many years making this my first Suzuki. I paid 300 dollars for the bike, it ran and rolled down the road under its own power. My plans for the bike are to keep it original for now until i get all the bugs worked out of it. Its needs some work if not more then what i counted on. Some one has taken a can of silver spray paint to the poor thing but what gets me the most is the wire harness. the wiring looks like some one with a hatchet and roll of electrical tape decided to reenact a slasher movie on it . So i will need some help getting that lined out. At one time i could build an entire harness for the old Honda cb bikes from memory. Cant wait to get the old girl on the road.

some of my other interest are, Rc airplanes, and i have a Honda XR400 dirt bike. And crazy me built a craftsman lawn mower with a Honda cb550 motor in it.

Thanks for all the future help,
                      Daniel
                      Welcome!

A picture of your new bike and of said lawn mower is a must!

EDIT: Just saw the YouTube video...crazy man!

Originally posted by Joe Guilbeau View Post
                      Kudo's Daniel,

With all the money you saved on the purchase price you might as well bite the bullet and start the restoration.

Your parts manual

Your specific manual supplement is at the very end

A plethoria of stuff

So, upgrade the Regulator/Rectifier as your 1st priority, no sense in burning up that stator and some of the wiring (the GS routes the grounding of the stator very oddly) due to shunting the excess current at highter rpm's from overcharging the battery. Go figure...

Thanks for the links...if they are on the GSR site, I didn't search hard enough.

Ed
                      Last edited by GSXR7ED; 11-25-2014, 09:19 PM.
                      GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
                      GS750TZ Parts Bike [Seq#6036]
                      GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)
                      Originally posted by GSXR7ED
                      Forums are pretty much unrecognizable conversations; simply because it's a smorgasbord of feedback...from people we don't know. It's not too difficult to ignore the things that need to be bypassed.

Comment

gs1000.jpg Its rough and needs a bunch of work.

Comment

1371951512797.jpg It looks normal at first look

Comment

1372696427870.jpg
                            The 550 fits under the hood very well. I have had it up to 60MPH with a lot left in it. I figure its good for a 100MPH. Honestly its one thing that scares the crap out of me.

Comment

Go Speed Racer!

OMG, that's not rough!

These are beautiful bikes and all I see is a beauty within.

As for the lawnmower, you're racing it? Heck, I wanna see video of that!

Ed
                              GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
                              GS750TZ Parts Bike [Seq#6036]
                              GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)
                              Originally posted by GSXR7ED
                              Forums are pretty much unrecognizable conversations; simply because it's a smorgasbord of feedback...from people we don't know. It's not too difficult to ignore the things that need to be bypassed.

Comment

Working...
                              X