Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New old bike - '82 GS1100E

Hello all,

Just picked up an '82 GS1100E yesterday. Just moved to Colorado for a new job and left the Triumph in STL because I just didn't want to bring a lot of stuff. Then I saw the mountains and promptly opened up craigslist motorcycle section. A week later I picked up a uhaul trailer and picked up this one.

The Good:
    A little over 10,000 miles
    Aftermarket r/r unit
    4-1 exhaust

The not so good:
    missing right side grip
    leaky fuel petcock
    Shorter rear suspension
    drag bars
    side covers with broken tabs (one fixed)

Paint is a little rough, but it is an '82... I've been wanting something a little more modern and with a little more power for a while now anyway. My plans for this bike are to fix the immediate issues (new petcock, add heated grips) then take it back to stock for more of a touring bike.

What are the best options for replacement fuel petcock?

Also, anyone in the Fort Collins, CO area with a garage looking for a roommate? Seriously, contact me.

2014-11-29 14.17.48.jpg

Welcome! I recently just got an 83 and I'm in much the same position as you, getting all the requisites out of the way to get it ready for spring. Good luck and stick with it. You have a very desirable bike. For your petcock go oem replacement. Rebuild kits have a low success rate. This site will be of much help as well.

Comment

Get a Pingel petcock, with reserve. Call me at 714--356-784five if you need help or questions answered. I build & race GS 1100s & 1150s. I also have, LITERALLY, tons of engine parts.
      Ray.

Comment

Send a message to this Ebay seller as he always has great deals on new Suzuki petcocks that also share the same stamping numbers as the OEM versions that cost more.
        George typically sells them new with new screens and tank to petcock O-rings delivered to your door for about $50.00. Why pay more for new? Or take chances on kits?
        SKYPE ME AT hard.parts.inc JAPANESE MOTORCYCLE PARTS FOR KAWASAKI, HONDA, YAMAHA, AND SUZUKI GOOGLE GEORGEFIX TO GO TO MY prostore FOR discount pricing and CREDIT CARD USE..... PUT YOUR BIKE IN THE SEARCH BOX TO SEE WHAT I HAVE LISTED FOR YOU CB750 CX500 Z1 XS1100 GS750

Comment

Thanks. New petcock and APE air filters on the way.

Does anybody have a 82 GS1100E factory service manual pdf? I can't find an electronic copy, only the hard copy from Suzuki for $80. Or a parts manual for that matter.

Comment

It should be in Basscliff's site, no?

Comment

I'm sure the one marked "GS1100 '80-'83 T,LT,EX,SZ,EZ,SD,ED,ESD (37MB)" is close if not compatible, but I thought my "E" is probably different than the "EX" or "ED".

EDIT: Same with the parts manuals. nothing that says specifically '82 GS1100 E, and I don't want to get myself into trouble ordering parts without total certainty.

Comment

Originally posted by MWrider View Post
                I'm sure the one marked "GS1100 '80-'83 T,LT,EX,SZ,EZ,SD,ED,ESD (37MB)" is close if not compatible, but I thought my "E" is probably different than the "EX" or "ED".

EDIT: Same with the parts manuals. nothing that says specifically '82 GS1100 E, and I don't want to get myself into trouble ordering parts without total certainty.
                Your bike is an EZ, the Z is the date code for 82.

Comment

Working...
                X