Hello!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hello!

Hello everyone, Andrew here. I just purchased an '82 GS1100GK. It's my first motorcycle and we share the same birth year I've been riding a 50cc scooter to work for the last couple of years (5 minute commute) and I wanted to upgrade to something that would get me farther and has plenty of storage, since I ride mostly for practical reasons as well as for fun. I did take the motorcycle safety course a year ago, but I couldn't scrap together the funds to purchase a bike until now. The course was definitely worth it though, this large of a bike is a challenge to handle, especially for a beginner.

Anyway, the it has 42,000 miles on it but runs pretty well. I'm so glad we have this forum, since I plan on having to do some work on the bike. For instance, I heard a very loud whining sound coming from the instrument panel on my way home, so I looked it up here on the forum and found it was the tach needing to be cleaned and lubed. I have that unhooked for now which fixed the noise. The bike also appears to be running lean. After a long ride, the exhaust and header pipes are way cooler than they should be. I can wrap my hand around the exhaust for a couple seconds before it hurts, and I can touch the header pipes with my finger. It's a 4 into 1 exhaust, so it may need a smaller jet with the presumably reduced airflow from a single exhaust. Or maybe a previous owner upjetted too much at some point. It certainly guzzles gas, just passed 100 miles and I'm down to 1/4 tank. I'll do a carb rebuild and cleaning while I'm in there rejetting (thanks in advance to BikeCliff for the tutorial). Also need to get a shorter windshield, the current one is just a little too high for 5'11" me.

Like I said, I'm so glad this forum is here, can't wait to become a part of the community!

PICT5634.jpg

I am curious to see more of the exhaust system based on the way #1 & 2 pipes are angled. Looks like you have a pretty well cared for bike to begin with and should not take much to get her to great.

Comment

You're right, it's in pretty good shape considering the age and miles. It starts perfectly and even with a few glitches it delivers a lot of power.

I took a picture of the headers going into the exhaust but I keep getting an error message when I try to post the picture. I'll try again later. In the meantime, the 1 & 2 pipes go into the exhaust pipe underneath 3 & 4 if that's any help.

Just curious - do you know why the previous owner might have opted for a 4 into 1 system instead of the stock 2 into 2? I'm guessing less noise maybe.

Comment

Originally posted by endru View Post
        The bike also appears to be running lean. After a long ride, the exhaust and header pipes are way cooler than they should be. I can wrap my hand around the exhaust for a couple seconds before it hurts, and I can touch the header pipes with my finger. It's a 4 into 1 exhaust, so it may need a smaller jet with the presumably reduced airflow from a single exhaust. Or maybe a previous owner upjetted too much at some point. It certainly guzzles gas, just passed 100 miles and I'm down to 1/4 tank. I'll do a carb rebuild and cleaning while I'm in there rejetting (thanks in advance to BikeCliff for the tutorial).
        Hi Andrew

Welcome to GSR! You have certainly found the best source of information and help on these great bikes!

Some of your assumptions are not correct. An engine running lean runs hot, while a rich condition will make it run cooler (cold). This condition confirms your poor gas mileage (although I do not know what a GK should do on a tank).

When changing from stock exhaust to a 4 in 1, the main jets do need to be a couple of sizes bigger to compensate for the better flow.

I am sure that others members who have GK's with 4 into 1 exhausts will offer advice on the correct jet sizes.

Take it easy and ride safe while you get used to the handling characteristics of this bike, compared to your previous 50cc scooter.
        1981 GS850G "Blue Magic" (Bike Of The Month April 2009)

1981 GS1000G "Leo" (Bike Of The Month August 2023)

Comment

Originally posted by 2BRacing View Post

Some of your assumptions are not correct. An engine running lean runs hot, while a rich condition will make it run cooler (cold). This condition confirms your poor gas mileage (although I do not know what a GK should do on a tank).
          I'm not sure why I wrote that, I had "rich" in my mind and wrote "lean." I'm sure readers were certainly confused then when I wrote that I need smaller jets to compensate for a lean condition. Oh well, no better time to make a silly mistake than my first post!

Thanks for the input and the welcome!

Comment

Welcome....
            sigpic

82 GS850
            78 GS1000
            04 HD Fatboy

...............................____
            .................________-|___\____
            ..;.;;.:;:;.,;.|__(O)___|____/_(O)|

Comment

Originally posted by GSX1000E View Post
              I am curious to see more of the exhaust system based on the way #1 & 2 pipes are angled.
              I took a picture of the headers going into the exhaust but I keep getting an error message when I try to post the picture. I'll try again later. In the meantime, the 1 & 2 pipes go into the exhaust pipe underneath 3 & 4 if that's any help.
              Good catch, Eric. Looks like he might have a Sidewinder on there.

Just curious - do you know why the previous owner might have opted for a 4 into 1 system instead of the stock 2 into 2? I'm guessing less noise maybe.
              Actually, the stock exhaust is a 4 into 2, not a 2 into 2, and the usual reason for adding a header is MORE noise, not less.
              Especially if that is a Sidewinder exhaust. Does it stick way out on the right side, rather than fitting under the bike? If so, it will really limit your turning ability to the right. That exhaust is meant for drag racers, so they can lower the bike a bit more. Since they don't have to worry about too many corners during the race, hanging out on the side is not a problem.

A quality header with a street baffle is a joy to listen to. In fact, most of today's performance bikes have a similar system from the factory, and you KNOW they are not going to be loud, but the stock exhaust on your GK was among the quietest in its day.

sigpic
              mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
              hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
              #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
              #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
              Family Portrait
              Siblings and Spouses
              Mom's first ride
              Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
              (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post

Actually, the stock exhaust is a 4 into 2, not a 2 into 2, and the usual reason for adding a header is MORE noise, not less.
                Especially if that is a Sidewinder exhaust. Does it stick way out on the right side, rather than fitting under the bike? If so, it will really limit your turning ability to the right.

Okay 4 into 2 - gotta familiarize myself with the multi-cylinder engine terminology! The exhaust is tucked under the bike, so no problems with turning, although I'm still getting used to how much I can when I turn.

Finally got a picture to upload. I have a better one but that's the one that wouldn't upload.

PICT5636.jpg

Comment

OK, that is not a Sidewinder pipe. I have actually never seen one quite like it.

Okay 4 into 2 - gotta familiarize myself with the multi-cylinder engine terminology!
                  It's actually rather simple.
                  Four cylinders exiting through one pipe: 4 into 1.
                  Four cylinders exiting through two pipes: 4 into 2.

Finally got a picture to upload. I have a better one but that's the one that wouldn't upload.
                  Here ya go:

If that header is painted black, I would be VERY worried about the jets in the carburetors. The paint on the header has been burnt quite a way down, indicating it is running VERY hot.

sigpic
                  mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                  hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                  #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                  #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                  Family Portrait
                  Siblings and Spouses
                  Mom's first ride
                  Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                  (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Welcome to the site . The pictures just screams of a huge loss of ground clearance. Nice looking bike though. How about adding your location and maybe some more photos of the bike.
                    Larry

'79 GS 1000E
                    '93 Honda ST 1100 SOLD-- now residing in Arizona.
                    '18 Triumph Tiger 800 (gone too soon)
                    '19 Triumph Tiger 800 Christmas 2018 to me from me.
                    '01 BMW R1100RL project purchased from a friend.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post

If that header is painted black, I would be VERY worried about the jets in the carburetors. The paint on the header has been burnt quite a way down, indicating it is running VERY hot.

It is indeed a painted header, but there's no telling how old it is. I'm guessing at some point in the header's lifetime there was a very lean condition, but right now it's rich. I can briefly touch the white part of the header even after a long ride. I'd also like to do a plug chop this weekend just to confirm my suspicions.

Comment

Originally posted by alke46 View Post
                        Welcome to the site . The pictures just screams of a huge loss of ground clearance. Nice looking bike though. How about adding your location and maybe some more photos of the bike.
                        Thank you (and everyone else) for the welcome. Just added my location and I'll get some pics posted this weekend. I'm in Mount Joy, PA which is 1.5 hrs. west of Philadelphia.

Comment

Hello everyone, Andrew here. I just purchased an '82 GS1100GK. It's my first motorcycle and we share the same birth year I've been riding a 50cc scooter to work for the last couple of years (5 minute commute) and I wanted to upgrade to something that would get me farther and has plenty of storage, .
                          Like I said, I'm so glad this forum is here, can't wait to become a part of the community! ......
                          endru,

Welcome to GSR.

Introducing yourself and posting a picture and talking about getting it running right is a good way to become part of the community.

Looks like it is all fairly stock with exception of the exhaust (and mirrors, and custom pin striping).
                          What is that on the fairing right above the headlight? (antenna mount maybe)

Yah, with that gas mileage and you say pipes are not at all hot, yah, sounds like someone knew they had to put in bigger jets with the custom exhaust... and really over did it.
                          I think stock size is 115, but my memory of such things is suspect, so will verify and get back to you.

ALthough when you say "1/4 on gas guage", I would go more by how many gallons you had to put in to refill. SOmetimes folks bend the rod on the float and then the guage reading is altered.
                          Stock arrangement is such that should hit the little red area about same time as have to switch petcock to RES (REServe).
                          (And... BTW, "PRI" does not mean primary, it means PRIme, so dont leave it there.)

OH, FYI, I see you say that is an 82.
                          Some folks may tell you that the 82 GKs will be the single color and the 83-85 are the two tone.
                          But there are 82s that are two tone, might be called "late 82", are listed as GK2 and had most of the design changes like the 83s, including the two tone paint and foot pegs that are more like small platforms.
                          Just though I would mention that if you are looking in parts catalogs and see 82 GKZ and also 82 GK2.

Many folks cut down the 'shield.
                          Mine was cut down and rounded when I got it, (I think it is what is on bike yet in picture in one link in sig line)
                          And took me a couple years to find a decent stock one on Ebay.
                          (and I still have that cut down one.)
                          Last edited by Redman; 12-16-2014, 01:55 PM. Reason: typos

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
                          GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

It may also be that the carbs are a bit clogged and causing such a lean condition that you're firing on all cylinders all the time. That could also cause cool pipes. The burnt paint may have been caused earlier when the engine was firing but lean. As the carbs got gummed up it may have gone from lean hot to leaner with no flame.

Since the bike is new to you, I'd start with a good 30 year maintenance. This should include a complete strip and dip of the carbs along with a valve adjustment, resync of the carbs and all fluids changed. That means engine oil, secondary drive oil and final drive oil. Pay particular attention to the condition of the oils that are removed for any unusual signs of wear. Especially true for the final drive oil to make sure the drive gear isn't wearing excessively.

No real good way to asses what jetting is needed until you know what's in there and what condition the carbs are in.

Here's a good site to go to for more information and manuals: BikeCliff's Website

Welcome to the GSR and hope you enjoy your new ride.

If the engine is original and originally painted black I would assume it would indicate a late 82/83 as well.

1980 GS1000GT (Daily rider with a 1983 1100G engine)
                            1998 Honda ST1100 (Daily long distance rider)
                            1982 GS850GLZ (Daily rider when the weather is crap)

Darn, with so many daily riders it's hard to decide which one to jump on next.

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

Redman,

Thanks for your comments. Sorry it took me a while to reply, things just got away from me. Just want to comment on some things.

No idea what's attached to the front fairing, antenna mount would have been my guess too.

Today I'm going to see if I can identify the current jet size. I did read in a manual somewhere that 115 is stock. Do you have any recommendation for where to buy jets? I've typically gone with jetsrus.com but I'm open to something better.

I'd like to cut down my windshield too. The top edge is right at eye level, so I have to sit uncomfortably to see above or below it. It also came with a rubber gasket around the edge that I promptly removed, and that helped with visibility. I saw a video on YouTube that shows how to do it with a jigsaw, so I think I'll go that route. I probably won't need to cut off more than 2".

Comment

Working...
                              X