Another Newbie! 1st motorcycle, 81' GS650G

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Another Newbie! 1st motorcycle, 81' GS650G

Something clicked in September when I went from "it'd be cool to own a motorcycle someday" to " I want one NOW." Step 1: Take MSF class, check. Step 2: Buy motorcycle, 1981 GS650, Check. Step 3: establish baseline, learn how to work on the bike and get it ready for cruising around NM in the spring, in process...

I've taken the bike on a few short rides, up to about 50 miles. At times I feel a little daunted by all the maintenance the bike probably needs right now. As far as I can tell it's in good shape and runs well so hopefully I can spend the winter learning how to do all the maintenance stuff and establishing a baseline at a good pace that won't leave me too overwhelmed (and will let my bank account recover). I'll probably start with the few small (I hope) things that I know it needs: speedometer light is intermittent (bad bulb? loose wiring?), choke knob won't stay up so I have to use clothes pins to hold it when I start and warm up the bike (replace the choke cable?). I have the Clymer manual but I wouldn't say I am mechanically inclined (yet) so I'll definitely be using this forum for help. I live in Albuquerque so if there are any other Burquenos out there I'd love to meet ya!

IMG_0886.jpg

Take a pair of pliers and gently squeeze them on the knurled plastic 'ring' nut just below the 'choke' knob, and tighten the nut, in most cases
    it then provides enough friction to hold the knob up. Also, if you want to drool over a real beauty of a GS650 just like yours, go to
    www.ronh.org- that's how I found out about this awesome site a few years ago
    Last edited by recycled64; 12-03-2014, 11:10 PM.
    sigpicSome of the totally committed probably should be.
    '58 + '63 Vespa 150's' (London, GB/RI, US)
    '67 X6 T20 ('67 Long Beach, Ca.- misty-eyed)
    '71 Kaw. A1-ugh ('71 SF, CA- worked @ Kaw dlr)
    '66 Yam. YL1('72 SF-commuter beater)
    '73 Kaw. S2A-2Xugh ('73 SF-still parts slave)
    '78 GS 750C ('77 SF-old faithful-killed by son)
    '81 KZ 750E ('81 SF-back to Kaw. dlr)
    '81 GS 650G ('08 back to NE&ME- (project)
    '82 GS '82 (2) GS650GZ, L, Middlebury, G current

Comment

Welcome....good luck with the bike, which looks quite nice by the way. Theres plenty of knowledgeable people here to lean on....
      sigpic
      When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
      -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
      -Rusty old scooter.
      Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
      https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
      https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

Since it appears to be rideable currently, at least clean ALL of the electrical connections in the wiring harness and add a couple of new grounds to the system.
        Pour a can or two of Berryman's B-12 carb cleaner into a tank or two. And by all means, adjust those valves as soon as you can.

Comment

Welcome to the site.
          Nice looking bike.
          Make sure you don't leave that clothes pin/choke on too long when warming your bike. The heat build-up can turn your head pipes blue.
          2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

Riding in NM

Welcome Gila Monster from ABQ!

Nice bike and yes you will get some help/feedback on your maintenance questions. I spent about 10 months in Alamogordo and did some riding in the southern areas of NM. I didn't make it to ABQ but I did enjoy the mountain rides near hear and a couple of trips to Las Cruces. MrBill is in Cruces and is very knowledgeable on GS'.

I ordered lots of parts during my stay and reviewed every microfiche for the parts I needed for my "T"--Fun Stuff but worth it when you're trying to put your bike is riding order. Good luck and ride safe!

Ed
            Last edited by GSXR7ED; 12-04-2014, 09:39 AM.
            GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
            GS750TZ Parts Bike [Seq#6036]
            GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)
            Originally posted by GSXR7ED
            Forums are pretty much unrecognizable conversations; simply because it's a smorgasbord of feedback...from people we don't know. It's not too difficult to ignore the things that need to be bypassed.

Comment

Those choke cables are a constant problem. There is a knurled nutunder the rubber that is suposed to adjust the friction, but they often crack inside and won't tighten up. Clothes pins aren't so bad...

Looks like a nice bike, and I like your plan. A valve adjustment, carb synch, and brake fluid change as a minimum maybe.
              sigpic Too old, too many bikes, too many cars, too many things

Comment

Welcome to the forum. I have rebuilt two GS850's since joining. I am not a big poster, but I learn a ton by searching. Carb rebuilds, electrical systems, valves...learned it all here. Now I have bought my own tire change stand and a tire balancer. I am my own personal shop and own 5 bikes...I even have two from my cousin in my garage now as I will repair them over the winter just for fun. That's seven...and the wife isn't thrilled.

I start with the carb rebuild...buy the orings and gaskets and do the carbs, then check the charge system. It probably isn't charging. Clean the terminals and check again...still not charging? - then go see the "stator papers" on Bikecliff's site. The gauge lights are easy to replace. Go to the Suzuki OEM Motorcycle parts fische on any site and look at the tach/speedo diagram...order the bulbs and do it. It's easy. And rebuild that front wheel speedo gear (where speedo cable goes into front wheel)...I have done it on all 5 of my bikes and they were all a mess clogged with rotten old hard grease or dried out.

If you have a shaft drive, do the oil change right away...same for engine oil. Don't run it until you know you are good there. Lesson learned for me as I took my 850 into work one day when I first got it, before I checked the shaft oil. Was nearly empty for some reason...luckily I didn't seem to cause any damage that time.

Good luck.

Comment

My '81 650GL has the same choke knob setup and the same problem of not staying pulled all the way open. I tried tightening the friction nut but it's to the point where it can't be tightened further without stripping. I found some plumbers cloth, the stuff used to roughen up copper pipe before soldering. I just pulled the knob all the way open and used the plumbers cloth to roughen up the shaft. Now there is enough friction to hold the choke fully open. Works like a charm!

Cheers!
                  K

Comment

GM,

Welcome to GSR.

I had 82 650G for 20+ years. Great bike.

Has been mentioned to add your own ground wire.
                    That would be from the starter solenoid mounting bolt to battery negative.
                    THe starter solenoid mounting bolt is into the battery box. There should be a black/white wire there. THis is to ground the battery box (for the starter solenoid and the R/R) since the battery box isn't mounted well to the frame. But sometimes that stock black/white wire isn't enough, so are reasons to add another ground wire.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
                    GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Working...
                    X