New Guy from Michigan!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Guy from Michigan!

Hello everyone! Very informative site you have here. Been browsing the last few days to get ideas, tips, information, etc. Last week I came across a 1980 GS550L through a friend of a friend. Had a clean title, 9,600 miles, and didn't look too terribly beaten. I am going to get the thing up and running, then strip it down and make her shine again. Had an idea of doing a cafe or street tracker build, but only time will tell on that front. I'm just happy the guy didn't take it to the crusher like he had planned. Would have hated to see an old bike in this shape get scraped.

Not a bad find for a $100, eh....

By the way, if anyone wants that luggage rack, the bars, or the seat, they will be getting replaced over winter.

This is my other toy. 2004 CBR600RR with '06 forks, swingarm, and subframe swapped. I've had it since '07, and have put over 80,000 miles on with nothing more than routine maintenance. It has custom white and satin black paint that I sprayed last summer, and a full titanium exhaust as of last week. Fun bike that commutes well, and handles the track and mountains better.

Street trim...

Track trim....

Thanks for having me!!

-Chad
    Last edited by Guest; 12-08-2014, 12:14 PM.

NOT BAD?? NOT BLEEDIN BAD AT ALL!!! that methinks that is a steal... $100(£70?) is fantastic; well done mate

Comment

Racer Bike & GS

Welcome!

Me likes your racebike!

Errr, uh...I mean...your GS is a nice find!

I'm thinking you should get a welcome reply with all the info you need to assist.

Ed
      GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
      GS750TZ Parts Bike [Seq#6036]
      GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)
      Originally posted by GSXR7ED
      Forums are pretty much unrecognizable conversations; simply because it's a smorgasbord of feedback...from people we don't know. It's not too difficult to ignore the things that need to be bypassed.

Comment

Welcome to the site. There's lots of purists on here that don't like to see a GS cut up but they will all agree that if any GS is going to be altered you've got the exact bike to do it to. Looks like you know your way around 2 wheels that's for sure. Nice track shot, which track is that on? when it comes time to get rid of parts, throw them up on the parts for sale section, there's always someone looking for something. Looking forward to seeing the project.
        Rob
        1983 1100ES, 98' ST1100, 02' DR-Z400E and a few other 'bits and pieces'
        Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Comment

Originally posted by robbiem1961 View Post
          NOT BAD?? NOT BLEEDIN BAD AT ALL!!! that methinks that is a steal... $100(£70?) is fantastic; well done mate
          Thanks!

Originally posted by GSXR7ED View Post
          Welcome!

Me likes your racebike!

Errr, uh...I mean...your GS is a nice find!

I'm thinking you should get a welcome reply with all the info you need to assist.

Ed
          Thanks on both accounts.

Originally posted by azr View Post
          Welcome to the site. There's lots of purists on here that don't like to see a GS cut up but they will all agree that if any GS is going to be altered you've got the exact bike to do it to. Looks like you know your way around 2 wheels that's for sure. Nice track shot, which track is that on? when it comes time to get rid of parts, throw them up on the parts for sale section, there's always someone looking for something. Looking forward to seeing the project.
          Understandable about not cutting it up. I have tossed the idea around about not chopping it, just tossing a sleeker seat and bars on and calling it a day.

That picture is from Deal's Gap. I toss the track fairings on when I go down there to minimize any damage/cost should my ambition outweigh my talent.

Thanks for the welcome!

Comment

Welcome and enjoy!
            sigpic
            When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
            -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
            -Rusty old scooter.
            Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
            https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
            https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

welcome to the site. Good looking cbr. the gs, well, don't feel bad about cutting that one up...."l's" are said to actually like it. whereabouts in michigan?

greg
              1983 GS 1100 ESD

Comment

Brighton, MI. Ten minutes north of Ann Arbor.

Comment

Hey guys I liked my L! It was comfy and UGLY... True I liked it better after I cut it up .

Welcome to the site! Most of us started on GS's Mine was 750L. Moved up to a Bandit 1200 then into my FZ1 I have now and will be stepping back into the Saddle of another Suzuki later this winter(GSX1300R or its brethren a B-king). You will notice some of us ride newer cycles and keep around a nostalgic GS.

Anyway Welcome! Good luck with your bike look forward to seeing pictures of your build!
                  And you stole your GS at $100... I thought I got lucky for $400 for my GR650!
                  Jedz Moto
                  1980 Suzuki GS1000G
                  1988 Honda GL1500-6
                  2018 Triumph Bonneville T120-
                  2020 Honda Monkey Z125
                  2001 Honda Insight - 65MPG
                  Originally posted by Hayabuser
                  Cool is defined differently by different people... I'm sure the new rider down the block thinks his Ninja 250 is cool and why shouldn't he? Bikes are just cool.

Comment

Very nice! I love the FZ platform. Been tossing around the idea of snagging a new FZ09 for some long distance touring. Good luck with the GSX1300R, very good bikes. I did a a week long trip in norther Michigan a few years ago on one and it is a dang good touring bike.

Comment

Welcome, sir! Not a bad score, this gives me flashbacks to two years ago when I picked up my 850GL. I know they're not the world's prettiest bikes when they get run down but it's hard to believe some people would just send them to the scrap heap.

Brighton, eh? I'm down in Arbor/Ypsi. I'm not an expert but if you ever need a second set of hands in the shop, let me know.
                      Charles
                      --
                      1979 Suzuki GS850G

Read BassCliff's GSR Greeting and Mega-Welcome!

Comment

Thanks Charles! I appreciate the offer.

Comment

Welcome to the site, Cibber.
                          You commute on the CBR?
                          That riding position would limit my commute to the end of the driveway, but i would get there real quick.
                          Great pic from the Dragon.
                          2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

Thanks Steve!

Yeah, I ride the CBR everywhere. Usually put 10-15,000 miles on it each year, which isn't too bad considering Michigan's riding season is typically April to November. I've done trips to the Upper Peninsula, northern lower Michigan, southern Ohio, Pennsylvania, all around the mountains of Tennessee, North Carolina, and Georgia, and spent two summers using it as my only source of transportation. It's not the best touring bike, but toss some luggage on it, and she does great.

Thanks for the compliment on the picture. I ride down there a couple times a year with a good group of guys. Tons of amazing roads down there. Can't wait to go back! April can't get here quick enough.

Comment

Originally posted by Cibber14 View Post
                              Hello everyone! Very informative site you have here. Been browsing the last few days to get ideas, tips, information, etc. Last week I came across a 1980 GS550L through a friend of a friend. Had a clean title, 9,600 miles, and didn't look too terribly beaten. I am going to get the thing up and running, then strip it down and make her shine again. .
                              Chad,

Welcome to GSR from the other side of the state.

Yah, get it running first.

Look to twr1776 on the forum for his pics of Ls with the L modified out of them to make them more rideable. (emphasis on "rideable").

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
                              GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Working...
                              X