Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New member - wanted one, ended up with two.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New member - wanted one, ended up with two.

Hey guys,

So I found a '80 GS750 for $300 about a month ago, knowing I'd have it in the shop for awhile before I could ride.

Time goes on and repairs keep piling up...I find out the thing was flooded in a hurricane, and that's why all this stuff is corroded and rusty (the clutch especially.) So I see an '81 GS1100 down the road that's in awesome condition for sale...turns out it's owned by the same guy who originally had the 750 before the next guy got it. He thinks it's great I've got his other bike too and he gives me a sweet deal on the 1100.

The 750 just got outta the shop today, and a buddy of mine is gonna buy it from me. I'm taking a bit of a hit after the cost of repairs selling it to him, but because of possible further damage going on in the bike because of the hurricane, I don't mind. The bike sounds amazing and runs well. One issue I found on the ride home...(I'm a complete newbie when it comes to motorcycle repair/maintenance so I'd love any suggestions) When downshifting and slowing down, the bike wants to die when I pull the clutch, but will stay alive if I give it a little throttle. I found this out coming off the highway onto a side street. There's a gasoline leak that's coming out of the carbs somewhere in the middle, but that only seemed to happen coming off highway speeds. Any thoughts? I had the carbs rebuilt in the shop...

The 1100 has been awesome to ride. The owner worked hard to keep everything original, so I'm hesitant to make many alterations apart from maybe the handlebars and light/gauges...so no frame chopping to make a cafe style rear. The only things I've noticed with this bike are that the head gasket has a small leak (which the owner said has been happening since he bought it, just not major enough to fix) and I think one of the exhaust header gaskets has a loose seal. I'm getting a kickback in the exhaust and I've noticed little puffs of smoke come out when I start it. Is an exhaust header gasket a reasonable fix for newbie to handle?

Wow, 2 nice bikes. Is that the Outer Banks you're in?

1983 GS750ED-Horsetraded for the Ironhead
    1981 HD XLH

Drew's 850 L Restoration

Drew's 83 750E Project

Comment

Thanks! Got very lucky finding these...and the guy who had them spent a lot of time working on them and is a super nice dude. Has no problem answering my questions...though I'm trying not to bug him too often haha.

and yep I'm in kill devil hills on the outer banks...can't wait to ride down to Hatteras on a warmer day!

Comment

Originally posted by obxGS1100 View Post
        Thanks! Got very lucky finding these...and the guy who had them spent a lot of time working on them and is a super nice dude. Has no problem answering my questions...though I'm trying not to bug him too often haha.

and yep I'm in kill devil hills on the outer banks...can't wait to ride down to Hatteras on a warmer day!
        A little longer ride for me, but I'm looking forward to the same thing!

1981 HD XLH

Drew's 850 L Restoration

Drew's 83 750E Project

Comment

Nice looking set. Welcome to the site.
          sigpic
          When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
          -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
          -Rusty old scooter.
          Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
          https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
          https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

...so no frame chopping to make a cafe style rear.
            Thank you, thank you, thank you!

They're beautiful bikes...don't take a saw to them.
            1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Nice twins you have there.

Comment

Sure is a nice looking set of bikes there. Exhaust header gasket should be an easy fix if.... the nuts come off easily. Spray a bit of pblaster on them a day or so before trying to wrench them off. As for the carbs on the other bike there is lots of help here or on Basscliffes website. They are daunting at first but I would never trust mine to a bike shop these days. The mechanics that worked on these are retired now, and the new kids all work with fuel injection - plug in and replace. That is why we are here as a community to help you along.

Comment

Nice pair of bikes

Comment

First thing I would check for the diing issue is if the idle knob is turned in enough. May be as simple as that. If its idling a tad low they tend to fall off easily. For example, my 7750 idles smooth as silk right at 1,000 Rs..but the 1000s seems ti idle the smoothest around 1,200ish. Point being that each bike is its own unique thing.

Ask that shop if they adjusted the valves too. If they say no, then theres a potential weak spot thats gonna need attention. Did they replace all the orings in all the carbs? We have had techs actually admit to reusing the old ones and thats just not gonna work.

Now for some place thats gonna be invaluable as your learning about crabs and such. Look around here and see al the tutorials. You have CV style carbs and theres a great tutorial on them. Also in the carb section there is a STICKY at the top title CV CARB TUNING PROCEDURES...use that.

MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
                    1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

... Jealous...
                      They are gorgeous, especially the 1100! Great Find!

Do your usual valve clearance checks and learn the art of tearing into your own Carbs. I was fortunate to know an older gentleman that taught me how to properly jet and clean carburetors(I'm a hands on learner), I think I'm the only person my age in my area that knows how to pull, clean, sync and jet a rack. Knowing how to do all the maintenance on your GS is going to save you tons of money and time...

Welcome to the site! Always ask questions, everyone loves to put their 2 cents on here.
                      Jedz Moto
                      1980 Suzuki GS1000G
                      1988 Honda GL1500-6
                      2018 Triumph Bonneville T120-
                      2020 Honda Monkey Z125
                      2001 Honda Insight - 65MPG
                      Originally posted by Hayabuser
                      Cool is defined differently by different people... I'm sure the new rider down the block thinks his Ninja 250 is cool and why shouldn't he? Bikes are just cool.

Comment

thanks for the advice and compliments!

jsandidge - looks like you're in Norfolk? Shoot me a message if you head down this way!

Comment

thanks for the advice and compliments!

jsandidge - looks like you're in Norfolk? Shoot me a message if you head down this way!
                          Will do! Used to go down there all the time when I had my Jeep. Should be a good ride on the 850.

1981 HD XLH

Drew's 850 L Restoration

Drew's 83 750E Project

Comment

I would let the shop check out the carbs,if you had just paid them to do them.

Comment

Welcome to GSR.

Thanks for introduction and the great picture.
                              Would be good for you to add something of a general location (does not have to be too specific) in your user profile. Also add your bike(s) model/year in signature line. THen those things show up in every post. Goto UserCP to do that.

Is that why they are both painted the same, because the same guy owned them at on time?
                              Last edited by Redman; 12-20-2014, 02:06 PM.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
                              GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Working...
                              X