new exhaust

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

new exhaust

I put on this VH exhaust earlier. The brake pedal has been giving me some grief. I think I will have to fab up a pedal myself, but the exhaust looks pretty cool I think. 12.26.14 I was able to fit my kerker comp. baffle into the VH, fit like a gloveS1010047.jpg p.s. I put in a new/used crank & tranny. last winter. The crank burned a bearing some how & the trans. had a bit of galling so I found another on ebay & mixed the two to get a nice tight tranny.

I like the three stripes on the tank. It almost fits in with the factory stripping on the side covers, trim and tail pieces.
    As for the brake lever, sometimes you can use or modify another GS model brake arm such as the larger G model bikes.
    Another option it to take a round pipe, cover it with a cloth and hit it hard with a heavy hammer and mimic the factory dent for the brake arm travel.
    If you have a torch or access to one and a vice, you can heat and tweak until they suite your needs.
    Good luck with whatever you choose to do.

Comment

That's an interesting exhaust. Can you take different angle pics?

Ed
      GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
      GS750TZ Parts Bike [Seq#6036]
      GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)
      Originally posted by GSXR7ED
      Forums are pretty much unrecognizable conversations; simply because it's a smorgasbord of feedback...from people we don't know. It's not too difficult to ignore the things that need to be bypassed.

Comment

Sidewinder? If so, wont you be losing a lot of ground clearance on the RH side?

Comment

Originally posted by GSXR7ED View Post
          That's an interesting exhaust.
          Unless I'm mistaken, that's the V&H "Drag" exhaust.

"Oldschool," there's a lot to like about your bike. It's an '81 "EX," correct? I wouldn't mind seeing and hearing more about it.
          1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Yep it's V/H sidewinder exhaust. Yes you lose a lot of ground clearance on the right side. They are used so you can lower the bike much more than you can with an exhaust under the motor. The lower you get a bike the quicker it will accelerate.

Oldschool
            thats a nice clean looking bike you got there. Just cut it and re weld the brake arm so it clears the megaphone.
            Last edited by stetracer; 12-28-2014, 01:50 AM.
            My stable
            84 GSX1100EFG-10.62 @ 125 mph 64'' W/B.
            85 GS1150-9.72@146mph stock W/B.
            88 GSXR1100-dragbike 9.18@139.92mph/5.68@118mph.
            98 Bandit 1200-9.38@146mph/6.02@121mph.
            90 Suzuki GS 1425cc FBG Pro Stock chassis 5.42@124mph
            06 GSXR750 10.44@135mph
            00 Honda elite 80 pit bike

Comment

Thanks for all the positive replies. As for the pin striping I have the same 3 on the fender & was trying to stay w/ the orig. theme somewhat but old school. I did the tank w/plastikote engine enamel & clear coat on advice from a friend, so far it holds up to gas great. I have the comp. baffle in & it rumbles pretty good but not loud enough to anger the neighbors. As for clearance I would suspect some is lost but I'am getting older & my day's of the big lean are becoming less, I have pushed it a few times in the past on other bikes & lost it but back then I bent now I break lol. Happy holiday's.

Comment

pie cut and pull it up/then weld.
                i think that's the same as JD was saying.

Comment

With regards to clearance, I've always found with non cruiser style bikes, there is always more clearance (lean wise) than I thought.

Perhaps I'm just not that aggressive though...

I like the exhaust, and wouldn't mind some more photos as well. Though I'm to cheap to do anything other than re attach the exhausts that came with mine. So I'm just living vicariously.

Edit:: Huh, I'm working with a small screen, but I'm having a hard time seeing the reduction in clearance...
                  Last edited by Guest; 12-28-2014, 05:00 AM.

Comment

S1010057.jpg Here is another. I could get the brake pedal to work just not how I would like, I've got some time until spring though.

Comment

a normal header is lower in the middle...
                      most side winder's are lower on the far right of the bike.

Comment

Just in case anyone is wondering & because I want to here is the inside of this beast. 81 1100e.S1010152.jpg

Comment

oh my!
                          look at all those parts!

Comment

Weird

Originally posted by oldschoolgs1100e View Post
                            [ATTACH=CONFIG]37632[/ATTACH] Here is another. I could get the brake pedal to work just not how I would like, I've got some time until spring though.

I've never seen anything like this for an exhaust. Thanks for sharing.

Ed
                            GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
                            GS750TZ Parts Bike [Seq#6036]
                            GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)
                            Originally posted by GSXR7ED
                            Forums are pretty much unrecognizable conversations; simply because it's a smorgasbord of feedback...from people we don't know. It's not too difficult to ignore the things that need to be bypassed.

Comment

Lol b.b. lot's O' parts. It was fun doing it with no left over parts & even more fun when it fired & didn't make any expensive noises. I did use another 81 crank w/ the small end that had not been spun. I wanted to go w/ the larger end but the prices were to high, I got this for 150.00 delivered, used some green Loctite at the spindle end & it should not spin. Anaerobic gasket maker is what I used between the cases to keep tight tolerance, don't want the crank flopping around. First time using that. Also did my version of porting w/a dremel, could have been better. Now I'am thinking of a gsxr front end if the price is right, we'll see. I could lower it w/the gsxr front end.

Comment

Working...
                              X