New city, old bike, rising withdrawal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New city, old bike, rising withdrawal

Well, I'd like to say of just picked up my 1979 GS850G, but I'd be a lier. I picked it up in a mostly functional condition a couple years ago to take the place of an 85 kawasaki zn700. I never got around to fixing up and selling the kawasaki, nor to fixing up the GS.

About a year ago, I had a disagreement with a deer as to whom had the right to be on a little road in rural Texas. Didn't turn out well for me, though at least I was the one to walk away. Sadly, my 99 VFR, while it came to a rest upright against a tree after punching through a cattle fence, was no more. Nor was my wrist. Several months passed until could do so much as write, and that, naturally kept me out of the garage. It was bad enough that I couldn't ride, and had to go find something with four wheels to buy. after all, I could only rent and borrow vehicles for so long.

About the times started to poke around my various non functioning bikes, including my formerly daily driver ducati, I was moved.

So here I sit, with the suzuki in my basement shop, thinking of how to get it reliable with the money have available.

Heck, my TV is still in the packing box, and I have yet to set up my computer. Everything I do online is on my phone, so forgive the occasional (or frequent) error.

Going through the newcomer thread, and talking to a fellow rider at work, I may not need to replace as much in the carbs as i originally thought!

Here is to me actually getting this thing working by the time the snow disappears for the summer!

Petcock, carb boots, carb cleaning/orings /gaskets, valve clearances, and that stator/rectifier thing I've heard about. If she works well this summer, I'm going to take advantage of living here, and head to Prudehoe bay, Alaska the summer of 2016.

(p.s., anyone in Albuquerque, NM want to help get several of bikes going? )

Deer, large rodents with suicidal instincts! A few have crossed my path while riding- I tend to be very leery of narrow roads heavily wooded at sides .
    since you said the gs "was mostly functional" before its nap, should be easy to get it good again. Follow the carb tutorials, avoid shortcuts! Once running, test the charging system ,as this is failure point.
    Welcome!
    1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Guided missile forest rats. My extremely biased and un humble opinion is that it should be open season on them year round with any weapons up to, and including thermo nuclear devices.

Nope, no anger here! Not even when I nailed one in a Subaru station wagon a few years ago in new York. From my highly scientific experiments, personal sample size of two, I recommend a cage, complete with seatbelts, airbags, and crumple zones. Should you chose to go toe to deer. Or just don't hit them. Your choice!

I realy can't complain too much, I had over 100k miles without a crash, most of which were in upstate ny and Texas hill country. Two years in Texas without a for wheeled vehicle at all. Good run all things considered.

When I say it was mostly running, the previous owner had tried to clean the carbs and screwed them up. But the engine would run, with some difficulty. So I'll be going more in depth than i normally do, which is just to get a shop manual, and do scheduled maintenance.

All of which will have to be done in my unheated basement... Which, like the rest of my house, is still mess from moving. Did just find my manuals though. Should really go clean up more, I almost have enough trash to fill up my truck! I know, I like to consolidate, since I take it in myself, and don't want to waste the $4 fee.

Comment

Hi Mr. slither,

I've got a lot of resources on my little website but you will need a computer to take full advantage of them, service manuals, "how-to" guides in PDF format, lots of pages with tips and tricks, etc. Here's the standard welcome schpiel....

If you are here you probably have a 30 year old motorcycle that needs about 20 years worth of maintenance. In the links below you'll find maintenance lists, documentation, wiring diagrams, "how to" guides, vendor links, tips, tricks, and a whole lot of GS goodness. This is your "mega-welcome". Let's get started.

Let me dump a TON of information on you and share some GS lovin'.

I just stopped by to welcome you to the forum in my own, special way.

If there's anything you'd like to know about the Suzuki GS model bikes, and most others actually, you've come to the right place. There's a lot of knowledge and experience here in the community. Come on in and let me say "HOoooowwwDY!"....

Here is your very own magical, mystical, mythical, mind-expanding "mega-welcome". Please take notice of the "Top 10 Common Issues", "Top 15 Tips For GS Happiness", the Carb Cleanup Series, and the Stator Papers. All of these tasks must be addressed in order to have a safe, reliable machine. This is what NOT to do: Top 10 Newbie Mistakes. Now let me roll out the welcome mat for you...

Please Click Here For Your Mega-Welcome, chock full of tips, suggestions, links to vendors, and other information. Then feel free to visit my little BikeCliff website where I've been collecting the wisdom of this generous community. Don't forget, we like pictures! Not you, your bike!

More links to helpful threads in the forum:
        Help! Your Bike Won't Start
        DON'T DO THESE THINGS
        Help! Your Bike Won't Run Well
        Oh God! Pods!

Thanks for joining us. Keep us informed.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Originally posted by slither View Post
          Well, I'd like to say of just picked up my 1979 GS850G, but I'd be a lier. I picked it up in a mostly functional condition a couple years ago to take the place of an 85 kawasaki zn700. I never got around to fixing up and selling the kawasaki, nor to fixing up the GS.

About a year ago, I had a disagreement with a deer as to whom had the right to be on a little road in rural Texas. Didn't turn out well for me, though at least I was the one to walk away. Sadly, my 99 VFR, while it came to a rest upright against a tree after punching through a cattle fence, was no more. Nor was my wrist. Several months passed until could do so much as write, and that, naturally kept me out of the garage. It was bad enough that I couldn't ride, and had to go find something with four wheels to buy. after all, I could only rent and borrow vehicles for so long.

About the times started to poke around my various non functioning bikes, including my formerly daily driver ducati, I was moved.

So here I sit, with the suzuki in my basement shop, thinking of how to get it reliable with the money have available.

Heck, my TV is still in the packing box, and I have yet to set up my computer. Everything I do online is on my phone, so forgive the occasional (or frequent) error.

Going through the newcomer thread, and talking to a fellow rider at work, I may not need to replace as much in the carbs as i originally thought!

Here is to me actually getting this thing working by the time the snow disappears for the summer!

Petcock, carb boots, carb cleaning/orings /gaskets, valve clearances, and that stator/rectifier thing I've heard about. If she works well this summer, I'm going to take advantage of living here, and head to Prudehoe bay, Alaska the summer of 2016.

(p.s., anyone in Albuquerque, NM want to help get several of bikes going? )
          Shoot, just south of ya, I'm in Las Cruces.
          sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
          1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
          2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

Working...
          X