Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

It's confirmed, I have an addiction, just bought another bike...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's confirmed, I have an addiction, just bought another bike...

I believe it's a 1997 Ducati Monster 750 Dark...

Bought it from my buddy (who I trust) who is an Italian motorcycle mechanic (Guzzi, Laverda, Ducati, Morini, etc). It was taking up room in his shop so he sold it to me for $500 with a clean title. Not a bike of interest to him, but he thought I might like it.

It hasn't run since 2009 and needs the usual - tires, tune-up, carb cleaning, valve adjustment, suspension rebuild, cam belts. Nothing I can't handle. The tank is clean, no frame damage, and overall it just needs a bath and a few new parts.

Soon I'm going to have to invest in a larger garage
    Cogito ergo sum - "I think, therefore I am"
    René Descartes

Man would I LOOOOOoooove a Monster. A good friend of mine has Monster... 900 though. It's fast but not crazy/ Be careful on not dropping it! The frames tend to tweak out very easily, even if they fall over in the drive. Awesome bike.

Nice $500 find... I'm a bit jealous!
    Jedz Moto
    1980 Suzuki GS1000G
    1988 Honda GL1500-6
    2018 Triumph Bonneville T120-
    2020 Honda Monkey Z125
    2001 Honda Insight - 65MPG
    Originally posted by Hayabuser
    Cool is defined differently by different people... I'm sure the new rider down the block thinks his Ninja 250 is cool and why shouldn't he? Bikes are just cool.

Comment

For $500 I couldn't pass it up. My reasoning was this - once I get my GS fully functional and then this sucker going, I will have two bikes to ride if I ever decide to sell my Yamaha FZ6 and upgrade to a Triumph Speed Triple R

My 2007 Yamaha FZ6
      René Descartes

Comment

2 of my best friends own FZ6's. Love them. I love the FZ line up, Cheap, reliable and fast for it's class.

This one is an 06 and now has north of 60K miles, Runs like it did the day he bought it.... BRAND NEW in 2006.

This was a couple of years ago before my Bike got totaled in a parking lot. MY FZ1, Henry's FZ6 (same one up top) in the Middle and on the left Brian's FZ6 which he also bought brand new in 2011, old stock the bastard. Has 30K miles and running just as strong.

Yeah I Love the FZ's I'll keep my FZ1 for its a fun little bike to have to zoom around on... I'll be tuning it into a canyon carver ( Keep an eye out for an official project thread). She's officially been decommissioned as the daily rider with my newest addition/ daily rider entering the line up... The B-king!
        Jedz Moto
        1980 Suzuki GS1000G
        1988 Honda GL1500-6
        2020 Honda Monkey Z125
        Cool is defined differently by different people... I'm sure the new rider down the block thinks his Ninja 250 is cool and why shouldn't he? Bikes are just cool.

Comment

Who wouldn't want a Duc for that price? WTG!!!!!

Comment

What inspired the b-king purchase?
            René Descartes

Comment

I have over 50K miles on My Fizzy and it's just time for a new bike. I love my Fizzy and it's the fastest bike I've ever owned and after 2 long seasons; I can confidently say, I'm ready for a hyper bike now and most on this site (in some form in some era) has owned a Hyper bike. I think I'm the only person in VT that owns a B-king. It's unique,like me . It's the worlds most powerful roadster... I don't know name the reasons why. I just wanted a B-King!
              Jedz Moto
              1980 Suzuki GS1000G
              1988 Honda GL1500-6
              2020 Honda Monkey Z125

Comment

I'm not sure I'd wander to the dark side of the b-king - a smidge too big and too heavy for my taste. However, if it suits your fancy, you will certainly have an easy time touring with it - plenty of power for riding 2-up and loaded with luggage!
                René Descartes

Comment

Nice buy at that price. My friend had one, I couldn't get comfortable on it but he liked it. Very tight at the knees for a "standard"
                  1980 GS1000G - Sold
                  1978 GS1000E - Finished!
                  1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
                  1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
                  2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
                  1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
                  2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

This sounds ridiculous, but my goal is to own at least 5 motorcycles - I have 2 Japanese, 1 Italian, and in the future I think a British one will make a nice addition :-)
                    René Descartes

Comment

Originally posted by philosopheriam View Post
                      This sounds ridiculous, but my goal is to own at least 5 motorcycles - I have 2 Japanese, 1 Italian, and in the future I think a British one will make a nice addition :-)
                      Not at all ridiculous.

Here is a pic of my 75/5 (5 1975 Suzukis).

Edit...
                      Oops.
                      Only have four 1975 Suzukis. The 5th 1975 is a Yamaha XS650 that is a winter/spring project
                      Last edited by jabcb; 01-13-2015, 04:42 PM.

Comment

$500.00 for that Monster? That was a theft not a purchase!
                        Congrats.
                        2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

Originally posted by steve murdoch View Post
                          $500.00 for that Monster? That was a theft not a purchase!
                          Congrats.
                          What's funny is that when my buddy originally told me about the bike, he said he had a Ducati that hasn't run in awhile with a large dent in the tank - he knew I was looking for a track bike, so he thought this would be a good candidate for cheap. Fast forward to this past Saturday, he pulled the bike out of the corner in which it had been sitting and he showed it to me - then he said "there's no dent in the tank... This thing actually looks pretty good". in essence, I knew it was a bit too nice to be put out on the track, so, it's getting cleaned up and it's going to become a weekly rider. In the future, I will most likely sell my FZ6, ride the Ducati in the interim, and buy myself a Triumph Speed Triple.
                          René Descartes

Comment

Bargain!
                            Much prefer to buy bikes from somebody I know/trust where the bike has a bit of known history and it's even better when it's cheap.
                            ---- Dave
                            79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
                            80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
                            79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
                            92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

This is the same buddy who is giving me a hand reassembling the engine for my 78 GS1000 restoration.
                              René Descartes

Comment

Working...
                              X