Thinking of picking up a salvage title bike

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thinking of picking up a salvage title bike

I've got a decent local FJ1200 near me that's going for pretty cheap. The problem is that the bike currently has a salvage title.

Has anyone here been successful in converting a salvage title to a registerable bike?

If not then what would an 87 Yamaha FJ1200 be worth as parts?

1980 GS1000GT (Daily rider with a 1983 1100G engine)
    1998 Honda ST1100 (Daily long distance rider)
    1982 GS850GLZ (Daily rider when the weather is crap)

Darn, with so many daily riders it's hard to decide which one to jump on next.

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

The very best thing to do is call up the DMV in your state and ask them what your options are.

I don't see a lot of info on the site about salvage titles in GA, but it sounds like you may not be able to get it retitled without a rather thorough paper trail. http://dor.georgia.gov/other-title-faqs
    Charles
    --
    1979 Suzuki GS850G

Read BassCliff's GSR Greeting and Mega-Welcome!

Comment

There is also the Vermont way
      it used to be you could register any vehicle over 10 yrs old in Vermont didn't matter what state you live in.
      All they require is a bill of sale from the pervious owner, you get the Vermont plates then go to local Dmv and transfer plates, your dmv will see that Vermont requires only bill of sale and they should print a new title for the vehicle. It's a bit of a pain bit it was a way to title a vehicle. I cannot say if it still works.
      google it stuff should come up to explain it.
      Check this out
      Last edited by Guest; 01-18-2015, 11:48 PM.

Comment

In CA you can register a salvage title bike and ride it. The bike is worth less is all since it's a reference of negative past history.
        Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Check with your DMV on the status of the salvage title. Not all salvage title are equal. Some can be rebuilt, road titled and put back into use. Some salvage titles are simply certificates of destruction and the bike can never be used on public roads again.
          All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

Originally posted by Joe H View Post
            There is also the Vermont way
            it used to be you could register any vehicle over 10 yrs old in Vermont didn't matter what state you live in.
            All they require is a bill of sale from the pervious owner, you get the Vermont plates then go to local Dmv and transfer plates, your dmv will see that Vermont requires only bill of sale and they should print a new title for the vehicle. It's a bit of a pain bit it was a way to title a vehicle. I cannot say if it still works.
            google it stuff should come up to explain it.
            Check this out
            http://www.2strokeworld.com/forum/in...?topic=10002.0
            What are you talking about?!?!

Firstly in Vermont all vehicles 14 years old or newer need a tile to be registered. You can register a bike with a rebuilt or salvage title but your new title is going to be a rebuilt or salvage title it isn't going t to change.

Secondly if the bike is 15 years or older and you bring a title in the DMV destroys it. They don't give you a new one it just goes away to the incinerator. So If you like your title hold on to it if it's 15 years or older.

To Register a 15 year old or older bike in VT all you need is a bill of sale. You get a plate and registration card... That's it. No title unless it 14 years or newer.

As for salvage/rebuilt my FZ1 is one. Still registered, totally legal and I have full coverage on it. Put 30K miles on it and it's a beast. I wouldn't flounder over it unless you plan to resell. If its yours to ride then have fun with it. The FJ1200 is an older bike I wouldn't let a salvage title kink up a cheap buy. I would as long as it rides straight.
            Last edited by Jedz123; 01-20-2015, 04:48 PM.
            Jedz Moto
            1980 Suzuki GS1000G
            1988 Honda GL1500-6
            2018 Triumph Bonneville T120-
            2020 Honda Monkey Z125
            2001 Honda Insight - 65MPG
            Originally posted by Hayabuser
            Cool is defined differently by different people... I'm sure the new rider down the block thinks his Ninja 250 is cool and why shouldn't he? Bikes are just cool.

Comment

I just checked GA law and it's pretty easy to convert a salvage bike to a rebuilt title. All I need to do is to have a title rebuilder sign off on the bike and then have it inspected by a state police officer or state inspection location. With a rebuilt title I can register it. Takes about a 1/2 hour of work if you know where to go and what to bring. The inspection is not a cosmetic inspection. It's purely checking for working lights, horn and a cursorily look at the brakes. Most report that they never had to remove the bike from the trailer/truck and the inspector never started the engine.

1980 GS1000GT (Daily rider with a 1983 1100G engine)
              1998 Honda ST1100 (Daily long distance rider)
              1982 GS850GLZ (Daily rider when the weather is crap)

Darn, with so many daily riders it's hard to decide which one to jump on next.

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Working...
                X