February BOM

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

February BOM

Fantastic looking 850. It confuses me that it's an 83' when the tank looks like a 1980 but that's those European's for ya. Very impressive metal work with the rack, I'd really like to see a picture of it with the bags on (there was no mention of what bags went with the bike). Also, I've never thought of doing white walls but it sure looks good on this bike. Some very nice modifications done to the bike, and meticulously tidy. Well done sir, a deserving bike of the month indeed.
    Rob
    1983 1100ES, 98' ST1100, 02' DR-Z400E and a few other 'bits and pieces'
    Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

I like those RWL Avon tires.
    82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

Originally posted by azr View Post
      It confuses me that it's an 83' when the tank looks like a 1980 but that's those European's for ya.
      Too many other clues show that it's NOT an '83.

The engine is silver. (black ones started in '83)
      The tank is the early tank. (the 'new' tank started in '82)
      It has the "snowflake" wheels. (the 'new' wheels started in '82)
      The engine has the kickstarter bump at the back of the clutch housing. (it was lost with the '82 models)
      The rear footpeg/muffler mounts are steel bits that are part of the frame. (they were bolted-on aluminum pieces, starting in '82)
      The front fender is chrome. ('79 only, in the USA)
      The turn signals are black and rectangular (which started in '81)
      The side covers and airbox are the older style. (which ended in '81)
      He says it's an '83 850GZ. The "Z" says '82.

If I was forced to put money on it, I would say it's an '81, which makes it a GS850GX.

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

So where is the owner?? Is he even a member??
        Personally I think you should be a member of the forum to have BOM...IMO
        No signature

Comment

Originally posted by trevor View Post
          I have suggested that the owner's username be included with the other information, and was told that "some changes are in the works".

sigpic
          Family Portrait
          Siblings and Spouses
          Mom's first ride
          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)

Comment

Why would someone with a nice bike want to join the forum?
            Ridiculous suggestion that one should have to be a member to have BOM.

Comment

Originally posted by JEEPRUSTY View Post
              Silly me, I thought the purpose of the BOM was to honor a member by showing off his (her) bike.

sigpic
              Family Portrait
              Siblings and Spouses
              Mom's first ride

Comment

Am I missing something ? Is there some reason we should suspect the owner is not a member of this forum ?
                Old age and treachery will beat youth and skill every time
                Originally Posted by Schweisshund I mean, sure, guns were used in some of these mass shootings, but not all of them
                1983 GS 750

Comment

Originally posted by bccap View Post
                  Am I missing something ? Is there some reason we should suspect the owner is not a member of this forum ?
                  Yes, several of the last BOM have not been members bikes or they are no longer a member.

Originally posted by JEEPRUSTY View Post
                  Ridiculous?? That might be a bit much. lol...by the way I did say IMO...last time I checked I'm still entitled to it.
                  Here is why I think it should be a current member...

There are plenty of member bikes worthy of BOM

If it's a member bike you can get answers to questions like AZR just posted in this very thread

" Very impressive metal work with the rack, I'd really like to see a picture of it with the bags on (there was no mention of what bags went with the bike"

Those are a couple of good reasons...IMO
                  Last edited by trevor; 02-03-2015, 01:32 PM.
                  No signature

Comment

I didn't know that Trev but I agree. the BOM should be a member's bike........
                    Old age and treachery will beat youth and skill every time
                    Originally Posted by Schweisshund I mean, sure, guns were used in some of these mass shootings, but not all of them
                    1983 GS 750

Comment

Agreed that the BOM should be a member unless we've run through all the member possibilities. Always been curious as to how the BOM gets chosen in the first place?

That is some nice handy work on the rack indeed.

1980 GS1000GT (Daily rider with a 1983 1100G engine)
                      1998 Honda ST1100 (Daily long distance rider)
                      1982 GS850GLZ (Daily rider when the weather is crap)

Darn, with so many daily riders it's hard to decide which one to jump on next.

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

83 or not 83? Member or not a member?

As far as I know the bike is as stated registered new in the UK 1983.
                        why does someone assume that I am not a member of this site? Been a member since 2012. Would appreciate any ideas to the model if it's not a gz though.
                        username fastbysuzuki.

petewoodsy@talktalk.net

image.jpg
                        Last edited by fastbysuzuki; 02-05-2015, 05:03 PM.
                        The big guy up there rides a Suzuki (this I know)
                        1981 gs850gx

1999 RF900
                        past bikes. RF900
                        TL1000s
                        Hayabusa
                        gsx 750f x2
                        197cc Francis Barnett
                        various British nails

Comment

Originally posted by trevor View Post
                          Originally posted by fastbysuzuki View Post
                          As far as I know the bike is as stated registered new in the UK 1983.
                          why does someone assume that I am not a member of this site? Been a member since 2012. Would appreciate any ideas to the model if it's not a gz though.
                          username fastbysuzuki.

petewoodsy@talktalk.net

[ATTACH=CONFIG]38141[/ATTACH]
                          Didn't assume anything. Simply asked the question. A lot of the previous bom have not been members here. Glad you are and like I said, that's a mighty fine GS you have there.
                          No signature

Comment

Originally posted by fastbysuzuki View Post
                            As far as I know the bike is as stated registered new in the UK 1983. ... Would appreciate any ideas to the model if it's not a gz though.
                            Did you buy the bike 'new' in '83? If so, was there a chance that it was a 'leftover' model?

Look on the steering neck, where the serial number plate is, let us know what the date of manufacture is, and whether the model year suffix is still visible. In the upper-right corner of the plate, you will find the date. The production for the model year might start as early as August of the year before (which is a common registration error), and that will be confirmed by the letter code in the lower-right corner. The letter codes: T is '80, X is '81, Z is '82, D is '83, E is '84.

As noted before, there are just too many clues that say this is an '81, but it might have been sold in '83, therefore registered as such.

Of course, there is also the possibility that the UK/Euro versions were held over from what we had here in the US.

sigpic
                            Family Portrait
                            Siblings and Spouses
                            Mom's first ride

Comment

I worked at a Honda/Suzuki dealer in '83, I think leftovers were half of the new bikes that went out the door back then. (TONS of cx500's)
                              Dee Durant '83 750es (Overly molested...) '88 gl1500 (Yep, a wing...)

Comment

Working...
                              X