2001 Yamaha Fazer 1000S FZ1 Hooligan Project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2001 Yamaha Fazer 1000S FZ1 Hooligan Project

So It has been Decommissioned. My Fazer now has been relinquished of daily ride status. It's time to start the Hooligan Project.

Goal?
    I basically want a bike that looks frickin' cool yet has functionality. I plan on setting this bike up for in town sprinting and to be a gap eater. It will also be set to take on every gap in VT including the dirt road ones... Light weight, aggressive treads yet crazy acceleration are goals here. I intend on neutering it's +170MPH top speed down to 130mph through gearing, in turn hoping to really utilize the revvy 130hp Power plant. I intend on leaving all the engine, air box and exhaust as is. The FZ1 has very very tall gears and I look to turn the first half of the gear box into a usefull set for in town and city commuting and stop light to stop light acceleration. Oh It will have to pull wheelies well too .

Inside Info:
    As the Bike sat before the winter.

The Bike was the daily stead and now has +50K miles on it. I have loads of goodies on the thing, Givi rack, 50L top case, Grip covers, heated grips, LED AUX lights, Touring wind screen... I did an engine swap to a 2005 motor in May.The motor has about 10K miles on it now, It only had 5K when I installed it. The black 05 motor is stock minus an ignition advancer and ported intake boots. I have stock air box and exhaust to keep the engine happy. Even stock this bike has a good deal of pull. My only complaint about it was you had to rev it out to maintain a steady pace when fully loaded going up into the mountains. I know when this bike is stripped it's much much quicker but as it sat it was a bit sluggish(for a liter that is).

So here's the start of the Project. I intend after long thought to keep the front fairing on. Just looks so good.

I'm off to do some work!!!
    Last edited by Jedz123; 03-03-2015, 01:49 PM.
    Jedz Moto
    1980 Suzuki GS1000G
    1988 Honda GL1500-6
    2018 Triumph Bonneville T120-
    2020 Honda Monkey Z125
    2001 Honda Insight - 65MPG
    Originally posted by Hayabuser
    Cool is defined differently by different people... I'm sure the new rider down the block thinks his Ninja 250 is cool and why shouldn't he? Bikes are just cool.

Tagged for interest.....

Comment

So I got all the touring goodies taken off, I also removed the front and rear fenders to increase that cool look.

I also reinstalled the stock passenger grabs and the blacked out shorter sport touring screen... May go even smaller on the screen. Just cleaned up allot and took these pics.

So Winter needs to knock it off, only 21' F today but I did manage to get a good chunk of work done.

The next goal is to figure the gearing out. I have an awesome gearing spreadsheet. I just installed the new 49 tooth rear and chain before winter. I'm running 16 tooth front but need to figure my sprocket setups.

I also need to look into figuring a way to get the rear end to drop down a bit. The rear tire is very tall vs the stock ZR.

More to come! Think Spring guys!
      Jedz Moto
      1980 Suzuki GS1000G
      1988 Honda GL1500-6
      2020 Honda Monkey Z125
      Cool is defined differently by different people... I'm sure the new rider down the block thinks his Ninja 250 is cool and why shouldn't he? Bikes are just cool.

Comment

I like the treads. What are they? Can you review them?

Comment

Throwing peanuts from the gallery:

Originally posted by Jedz123 View Post
          I basically want a bike that looks frickin' cool yet has functionality.
          Like a... FZ-1?

Irony is that you just bought a "factory hooligan".

I plan on setting this bike up for in town sprinting and to be a gap eater. It will also be set to take on every gap in VT including the dirt road ones... Light weight, aggressive treads yet crazy acceleration are goals here.
          There's no free lunch. Even 80/20 road biased dual sport tires are going to be a compromise in traction on various surfaces.

I intend on neutering it's +170MPH top speed down to 130mph through gearing, in turn hoping to really utilize the revvy 130hp Power plant. I intend on leaving all the engine, air box and exhaust as is. The FZ1 has very very tall gears and I look to turn the first half of the gear box into a usefull set for in town and city commuting and stop light to stop light acceleration.
          You will find that it will get very revvy and you will only be able to use so much, so fast of that power (see above about traction). Its' still an I-4, can't change that.

So here's the start of the Project. I intend after long thought to keep the front fairing on. Just looks so good.
          Hooligan foul. Unless you remove the windshield and mirrors and then take a hammer to it.

So I got all the touring goodies taken off, I also removed the front and rear fenders to increase that cool look.
          It won't be so cool if that knobbie tire throws a rock into the radiator...

Comment

Yeah, them is some tires you got there.
            1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Originally posted by 78550GS View Post
              I like the treads. What are they? Can you review them?
              I'm running a mix of 2 different treads, Metzler Karoo 3 on the rear and a Shinko 705 on the front. The bike handles pretty frickin' well from this setup, Yes I got and still get some flak for doing this but they have been quite useful during the winter months when I came across the occasional snow drift or surprise snow squall. They hold very well in the white stuff as well in the dirt. It's a great setup for any VT road. The Karoo 3 is an awesome tire, very meaty in the middle but the knobs come closer together on the edges so handling isn't too compromised on the tarmac twisties. The FZ1 generally will loose traction in the rear from the tire vs pulling a wheelie but temperature plays a key role in that. I haven't run this setup yet in the 50' weather so I'll get back once I get miles on them during the warmer weather. I'd recommend these tires to anyone who does allot of dirt road traveling/exploring. There is also high speed vibration and road noise after you break the 100MPH mark.

Originally posted by JamesWhut? View Post
              Throwing peanuts from the gallery:

Like a... FZ-1?

Irony is that you just bought a "factory hooligan".
              No Irony at all, She's a UJM Standard motorcycle. Hooligan?, I wouldn't really agree, more of a do it all motorcycle. These things were really setup for top speed and long distance touring in mind(specifically the Generation 1 FZ1). It was primarily targeted to the European sport touring folks as the Fazer 1000, for they plead for a more powerful Fazer. Before it's release all that was available was the Fazer 600(or FZ6 as know in the states). Most folks use these bikes for sport touring riding, like my self... Most hooligans are at least geared shorter for " hooligan-ing" around.

Didn't just buy it either, I've had it for 2 years now and racked over 30K miles on it. The best bike I've ever owned.

There's no free lunch. Even 80/20 road biased dual sport tires are going to be a compromise in traction on various surfaces.
              True as stated above, but if I plan to get heavy in the knee dragging I'll take the B-king or even the B-12 for they are suited with ZR rated tires. These dual purpose tires have done a great job this winter for they hold traction in any weather thrown at them(minus ice of course). They allowed me to get some miles on despite the extreme cold we've had this year. Also the added traction on the dirt is key. Much better grip then a standard ZR on the loose stuff...

You will find that it will get very revvy and you will only be able to use so much, so fast of that power (see above about traction). Its' still an I-4, can't change that.
              Curious, are you familiar with ridding a FZ1? For if you are, you'll know these bikes are geared very very tall. So tall that the redline for first gear is 78MPH! Second is 105mph and 3rd is a very illegal 130mph. You really never use the full potential of the top 3 gears (which are by the way) 4th 145mph, 5th 160mph and top gear of 175mph. The new gearing setup I plan to use is a 14T front sprocket and a 49T rear sprocket. With the current rear tire size I'm looking at changing my top speeds for my gears to the following: (all speeds @ Redline of 11500 rpm):
              1. 63MPH
              2. 87MPH
              3. 107MPH
              4. 120MPH
              5. 133MPH
              6. 143MPH

The engine would be at 4500 RPM in 6th at Vt cruising speeds of 55mph... Not very busy and right in the meat for roll on's in top gear.

Not sure where the I-4 issues coming from??? But this R1 20V power plant is quite revvy and will spin happily all day at 5K rpm... Also this is a common gearing for most 600cc I-4 bikes.

Hooligan foul. Unless you remove the windshield and mirrors and then take a hammer to it.
              Pretty sure your thinking about a street fighter... A street fighter is a naked and stripped version of a standard or sport motorcycle. I'd classify anything that can pull wheelies in the first 2 gears and accelerates like a bat out of hell a hooligan. I mean that's what we fellow FZ1 riders call them when we set them up for shorter gearing . We coined the phrase "Hooligan gearing" for any gear setup shorter then stock...

It won't be so cool if that knobbie tire throws a rock into the radiator...
              There's pretty robust radiator covers on it that do a fine job protecting the unit, I generally don't get into loose large gravel and if I do I won't be traveling at a velocity that would fling rocks up into the the bike at such a force that it would cause damage...

Originally posted by Rob S. View Post
              Yeah, them is some tires you got there.
              They are cool. I get allot of comments and people like the look with them on. I also get people telling me how it's and bad idea... But I tell them it's a worse idea to get stuck in snow with ZR's... Never will I ever do that again. LOL
              Jedz Moto
              1980 Suzuki GS1000G
              1988 Honda GL1500-6
              2020 Honda Monkey Z125

Comment

Hooligan?, I wouldn't really agree, more of a do it all motorcycle. A street fighter is a naked and stripped version of a standard or sport motorcycle.
                Didn't know there were such strict classification rules.

Thing is, any bike I ride usually turns out to be a hooligan. "Officer, I know I did X, Y and Z, but this is not a hooligan bike."

Last summer: "I'll have to take your word, Trooper, because my speedometer only goes up to 80."

"Okay, I'll only write you up for 80." True story. Makes me think twice about installing the 140 speedo I bought, though it was probably my advanced age that brought the leniency.
                1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

I'm running a mix of 2 different treads, Metzler Karoo 3 on the rear and a Shinko 705 on the front. The bike handles pretty frickin' well from this setup, Yes I got and still get some flak for doing this but they have been quite useful during the winter months when I came across the occasional snow drift or surprise snow squall.
                  I dig the "road warrior" look.

No Irony at all, She's a UJM Standard motorcycle. Hooligan?, I wouldn't really agree, more of a do it all motorcycle. These things were really setup for top speed and long distance touring in mind(specifically the Generation 1 FZ1).
                  No. I meant the B-King.

Curious, are you familiar with ridding a FZ1?
                  You ride it around and shift at red line all the time? That would explain the engine change.

Not sure where the I-4 issues coming from??? But this R1 20V power plant is quite revvy and will spin happily all day at 5K rpm... Also this is a common gearing for most 600cc I-4 bikes.
                  I-4s make most of their HP and torque (most important) at high rpms, so they have to be reved. Go ride a twin of similar displacement for comparison.

Pretty sure your thinking about a street fighter... A street fighter is a naked and stripped version of a standard or sport motorcycle. I'd classify anything that can pull wheelies in the first 2 gears and accelerates like a bat out of hell a hooligan.
                  A Harley could fit that subjective definition.

There's pretty robust radiator covers on it that do a fine job protecting the unit, I generally don't get into loose large gravel and if I do I won't be traveling at a velocity that would fling rocks up into the the bike at such a force that it would cause damage...
                  Don't say you weren't warned...

Comment

Didn't know there were such strict classification rules.

Thing is, any bike I ride usually turns out to be a hooligan. "Officer, I know I did X, Y and Z, but this is not a hooligan bike."

Last summer: "I'll have to take your word, Trooper, because my speedometer only goes up to 80."

"Okay, I'll only write you up for 80." True story. Makes me think twice about installing the 140 speedo I bought, though it was probably my advanced age that brought the leniency.
                    LOL That worked!?!? Oh man I'll be installing an 85 mph speedo on the B-12. Making a bike a hooligan isn't HARD at all. "I think I'll buy this $15 sprocket", Boom the grin goes ear to ear. Just add some pods and an exhaust and your laughing every time the bike comes up. The Bandit is a hooligan through and through.
                    Jedz Moto
                    1980 Suzuki GS1000G
                    1988 Honda GL1500-6
                    2020 Honda Monkey Z125

Comment

I got the pods and the pipe, and when the front goes airborne, I back off. I'm worried about the crank (and I'm scared ).

Comment

I got the pods and the pipe, and when the front goes airborne, I back off. I'm worried about the crank (and I'm scared ).
                        LOL Yeah I remember the 750 with the 1100 swap. Man that thing was frickin' nuts. Frame flex when it picked the front wheel off the ground. I sold it for I was scared of it... LOL I've looked into pipes and pods for the FZ1 but really it doesn't help too much. I'll keep it (kinda) stock and keep it happy.

So I had a very productive day today on the FZ1. I managed to install my 14 tooth front sprocket and with the 49 rear, the gearing is Perfect for in town cruising and back highway sprints and cruising. There is so much more roll on in 6th now and she will get up there very very fast. Motor feels very relaxed and plenty of space on the tach in top gear to get the thing into warp.

I did take it for a spin for about 10 miles and learned that I NEED A FRONT FENDER. I think if the road conditions were perfect I would have been fine but the roads are not perfect. So went home and reinstalled the front fender...
                        Without front fender after 10 miles:

Front Fender back on...

So I went for another 60 miles after the re-instillation. It's the most I've ridden in months. I think the desk jockey of me forgot about real world implications in life without a front fender. I can report gas mileage is not nearly as good as it was before. From my approximation I'm seeing about 32mpg vs the +40. Meh I'm not worried for I won't be using it on the regular. The amount of usable power is all there now.

I'm looking into finding a means to lower the back end some. I'm flat footed on the bike but my legs are fully extended. I believe dropping the rear height down just a tad is going to make the bike a touch easier to maneuver and help with low speed maneuvering. I also plan on bringing the front wheel in for a balance. I think it's slightly off. I only seem to notice it on high speeds. But for in town cruising or back road blasting it's fine.

I made a little short of some bombing around I did with the new gearing, bike is running fantastic, but it always has (even with the previous stock engine before it got smashed in a parking lot). You can see how the Knobs came in handy on the snow packed driveway of my girlfriend's design firm. Great day for I actually got to ride! I also ran into my best friend at the local Mobil. I tend to stray from GSR when I start riding more and more but I'll keep the thread updated as I continue to perfect my Hooligan. I'm back on here today for we are back in the low 20's. Old man winter refuses to let go...

Here's the run, I added the music to what I was listening to on the run to cover up the annoying wind noise... I need to figure why my Go-Pro has so much noise...

Last edited by Jedz123; 03-05-2015, 12:04 PM.
                        Jedz Moto
                        1980 Suzuki GS1000G
                        1988 Honda GL1500-6
                        2020 Honda Monkey Z125

Comment

You remind me of me when I got my 903 Z1 at age 22. I started to jones if I went a few days without riding.

I got so frustrated one summer when the engine was being rebuilt, I took up something crazy called jogging (I think it's pronounced, "yogging" ).

Comment

You remind me of me when I got my 903 Z1 at age 22. I started to jones if I went a few days without riding.

I got so frustrated one summer when the engine was being rebuilt, I took up something crazy called jogging (I think it's pronounced, "yogging" ).
                            LOL well I do push ups, sit ups and pull ups every day... It helps pass the time. I've been cooped up for too long. 27 day stint without getting out on the bike is bad for me and bad for me on a psychological level. I'm sure there will be a day I won't ride as much, but if it's above freezing I'm out and on it!!!!

I got a good ride in and that's all that matters. The amount of thumbs up I got was too many to count. I was the only one on a bike out yesterday. I did wave to some snowmobiles on the trail waiting to cross... LOl They didn't wave back, pretty sure they hate to see bikes out.

So you've always had maniac bikes then Rob? Love to see some pics.
                            Jedz Moto
                            1980 Suzuki GS1000G
                            1988 Honda GL1500-6
                            2020 Honda Monkey Z125

Comment

The thing about having an attached, semi-heated garage is I can admire her every time I go for another brew (more than once a day ).

I talk to her, caress her seat, even mount her every few days. When I get really buzzed, I clean her wheels. It's still snowing here. Again.

Comment

Working...
                              X