Cafe Forum

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cafe Forum

I have been contacted by a few other GS Resourse menbers about seeing if it was possible to add a Cafe forum to the already vast group of addicts that are trying to create a "cafe racer" type of bike and introduce themselves as new gs owners get turned off by other members puting them down for cutting up a nice bike. They are just another builder making something that they like and they are still keeping the GS series of bikes alive just in another fashion. So who gets the final say when it come to adding another group the the GS Resource site?

I'm not a fan of the "cafe" bike per se but I think it's a fine idea. And probably long over due. Then for guys who don't like it we don't have to look and for the guys who do they don't have to hear a bunch of old farts saying "leave it stock"!
    So here is your first "Yes" vote.
    No signature

Comment

I'm not a huge cafe fan either { though someone posted a link recently to some he'd built that I really liked } Go for it. It would get the haters off the cafe'ers backs. PM Frank and maybe he'll do it.
      Old age and treachery will beat youth and skill every time
      Originally Posted by Schweisshund I mean, sure, guns were used in some of these mass shootings, but not all of them
      1983 GS 750

Comment

Next thing you know they are going to want an "L" forum as well.................

Comment

Originally posted by posplayr View Post
          Next thing you know they are going to want an "L" forum as well.................
          Ok...that's crossing the line!! That's not funny!!
          No signature

Comment

Originally posted by posplayr View Post
            Them's fight'n words!
            sigpic
            83 GS1100g
            2006 Triumph Sprint ST 1050

Ohhhh!........Torque sweet Temptress.........always whispering.... a murmuring Siren

Comment

There are gazillions of cafe motorcycle web sites, I'm not sure what would be the point of adding a dedicated cafe forum here.

Most of the regular members of this forum either "grew up" with stock (or performance-modded) GSes, or appreciate the bikes as they were designed. Performance modding is viewed as acceptable because you'regenerally improving upon the bike without taking anything away. Cafes, bobbers, hard-tails, rat-rods and what-have-you are all "fashion" mods that only change the appearance of the bike and usually either do nothing to improve the performance and handling, or lower them drastically by discarding necessary parts (shocks, fenders, chain guards, exhaust, airbox).

Plus, most cafe mods are painful to watch because for every well-executed one, there are 30 more amateurs with a rusty sawzall chopping away at what was a decent bike. Before long, they realize that it's actually not all that easy to create a great-looking bike and end up scrapping the whole thing via craigslist before it's even halfway done.

Before you get the impression that I'm against modding, let me assure you I am not. I think it's great that people want to tinker with and change up their old bikes a bit, even if just for looks. I just worry that most people who go after fashion mods care more about how "cool" their bike looks (or more to the point, how "cool" they look while riding it or parking it in front of a bar) than how it rides. Which is pretty damned shallow and is what annoys me the most about mainstream motorcycle culture in the U.S.

/rant
              Charles
              --
              1979 Suzuki GS850G

Read BassCliff's GSR Greeting and Mega-Welcome!

Comment

I suspect there is cafe fatigue here caused by the type of people who tear / cut a bike apart and make cosmetic mods before confirming it runs properly. By then the airbox and exhaust are often modified compounding the problem. Then they ask questions.....

While cafe bikes arent my favorites, i have seen some cool ones here. I appreciate quality craftsmanship in any type of build.

I dont know if a separate group is necessary, as i feel a certain kinship with all GSers, but I wouldn't have a problem with it either. Jbird, I do understand your sentiment and it is a valid point.

You could always start a cafe bike thread, and if theres enough interest, it may stick around like the anyone go for a ride, the wrenching, the custom GS threads, etc.
                sigpic
                When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
                -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
                -Rusty old scooter.
                Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
                https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
                https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

I'm okay with being in the same mix as all the other GS. Underneath, it is still a GS. Some of us have difficulty with the cafe thing because it is custom and unexpected things can arise. I'm sure people will hate on me for trying things and failing occasionally. I'll continue to try to treat people with respect even if it is a chore sometimes. I'd contribute to a cafe thread. I'd visit a cafe forum section. I vote for the haters to have their own section to get them off of everybody's back.

Comment

Sorry if I hit a sore spot, didn't mean to upset anyone.
                    I'm new to this site and to cafe bikes, you guys have a ton of knowledge and we are lucky as GS owners to have the resource!
                    I like the cafe look and had lots of enjoyment modifying my ride!

[IMG]/Users/G3Harris/Pictures/Photos Library.photoslibrary/Thumbnails/2015/04/08/20150408-183335/5lYD+9d+SIm7KLVJ8j1ytA/IMG_0846_1024.jpg[/IMG]

Comment

I don't think you owe anyone an apology. It isn't your fault that some people that try to go cafe fail in an epic and tragic way. Do your thing and stand proud.

Comment

Originally posted by G-3 View Post
                        Sorry if I hit a sore spot, didn't mean to upset anyone.
                        I'm new to this site and to cafe bikes, you guys have a ton of knowledge and we are lucky as GS owners to have the resource!
                        I like the cafe look and had lots of enjoyment modifying my ride!

[IMG]/Users/G3Harris/Pictures/Photos Library.photoslibrary/Thumbnails/2015/04/08/20150408-183335/5lYD+9d+SIm7KLVJ8j1ytA/IMG_0846_1024.jpg[/IMG]
                        G-3 I saw pics of your bike in your album earlier tonight....I like it.
                        sigpic
                        When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
                        -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
                        -Rusty old scooter.
                        Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
                        https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
                        https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

Originally posted by dorkburger View Post
                          G-3 I saw pics of your bike in your album earlier tonight....I like it.
                          Thanks a lot I've put a ton of time into it, Lucky she ran like a champ from the day i got her!

Comment

Cafe and bobber guys don't last around here. I don't see the point of a forum dedicated to them.
                            Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
                              Cafe and bobber guys don't last around here. I don't see the point of a forum dedicated to them.
                              I would think it would be dedicated to the bikes and not the guys who don't last. There are certain issues specific to GS for going cafe. A lot of other sites and vendors support Honda cafe bikes strongly so many time the GS is not on the compatible list for the parts even if they fit. Maybe folks would be less likely to chop on a GS if they knew just buying the right Honda was an easy ticket to cafe. Or maybe not so many GS would be mangled incorrectly. You know, by having like a "read this thread before you even think of going cafe on a GS" thread.

Comment

Working...
                              X