• Show
Clear All

September Bike of the Month

Congratulations Redman. Very nice bike!

cg
    sigpic
    83 GS1100g
    2006 Triumph Sprint ST 1050

Ohhhh!........Torque sweet Temptress.........always whispering.... a murmuring Siren

Congrats Dave! Very cool. Pretty sure ive seen that picture posted here.
    sigpic
    When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
    -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
    -Rusty old scooter.
    Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
    https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

Congrats Dave, bike looks great! And it's good to see BOM go to a very active member of the forum.

Cheers,

Trevor
      No signature

Comment

Yes, congrats. Very nice looking bike for sure.
        Larry

'79 GS 1000E
        '93 Honda ST 1100 SOLD-- now residing in Arizona.
        '18 Triumph Tiger 800 (gone too soon)
        '19 Triumph Tiger 800 Christmas 2018 to me from me.
        '01 BMW R1100RL project purchased from a friend.

Comment

Oh no, now he's going to want special parking at the rallies... Nice motorcycle Dave
          My Motorcycles:
          22 Kawasaki Z900 RS (Candy Tone Blue)
          22 BMW K1600GT (Probably been to a town near you)
          82 1100e Drag Bike (needs race engine)
          81 1100e Street Bike (with race engine)
          79 1000e (all original)
          82 850g (all original)
          80 KZ 650F (needs restored)

Comment

Very, very, nice Dave.

Perhaps a poster child for the new GSR greeting cards?
            '83 GS650G
            '83 GS550es (didn't like the colours in the 80's, but they've grown on me)

Comment

Very nice example, precariously balanced on what appears to be a small stone under the side stand.

Comment

Well deserved Redman
                sigpic
                Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
                1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's
                2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
                Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
                and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Hi Dave

Congratulations on your BOTM winner! Fine machine just ready for that long, winding road in the background!

Kind regards from across the ocean,
                  2BRacing
                  Ben
                  1981 GS850G "Blue Magic" (Bike Of The Month April 2009)

1981 GS1000G "Leo" (Bike Of The Month August 2023)

Comment

Congratulations Redman, super nice representation of a GS, well deserved. Love what my wife said "ohhh....that's a nice one, it's all shinny"
                    Rob
                    1983 1100ES, 98' ST1100, 02' DR-Z400E and a few other 'bits and pieces'
                    Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Comment

An excellent choice on both the member and the bike.
                      Congrats, Dave.
                      2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

Originally posted by steve murdoch View Post
                        An excellent choice on both the member and the bike.
                        Congrats, Dave.
                        Ditto ! Nice job keeping her shinny Dave.
                        82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

Thanks for the comments.

And thanks to IndyBob for alerting me to this.

I can not take full credit for the GKs great cosmetic condition.
                          Although it was dull looking when I got it (late 2005), somebody(s) before me had kept it pretty much all stock and had not crashed it for 23 years.
                          (PO had it less than a year.)

Yes, Is all stock condition.
                          All stock to a fault. Have upgraded the front springs, and replaced the rear shocks although with stock units.
                          Only non-stock modification is someone cut holes in rear of trunk to add LED trailer marker lights.

Yes, is something under sidestand (a chunk of pavement asphalt). Is To prop bike more upright so that in frame of the photo the bike is a direct profile angle, but yet still see down the road in the background.

I have made photo submissions maybe 3 times in the 10 years with the GK and maybe twice before that with the 850G.

With the submission of this photo, I had a longer write up, but goofed it up with cut-n-paste editing, and ended up sending the email with a portion of the write up missing. But I wasn't too concerned about it, because I thought the photo composition didn't fit the judge's selection criteria (I had looked at a lot of those photos that had been selected) due the stuff in the background. I liked the view in the backgoriund as nice view of a nice riding road, but it seemed that most all the selected photos had a more uniform background, like a solid wall or open field.

Anyway, that part of the write up that got left out was about some of the problems I found with the bike, and took care of.

Did mention about brakes locked up. Had to rebuilds the rear caliper.

Did mention it was hard to start.
                          I took apart each carb and carefully arranged parts out in a row.
                          Everyhthing looked clean. Then I notioced that one float was layed out upside down of the others, I didn't notice that during disassembly, but aftger I had all apart and looking at parts I had layed out. Hum...
                          Did some cleanup (just spray carb cleaner), and put back together, and it started and ran better.

One schock has so much air in it that when I connected my little pump the pressure gauge needle seemed to show 0, but was all the way around and on the backside of the peg at zero. I let some air out multiple times before the needle didn't go all the way around "tink" and hit the back side of that peg. Other shock did have zero si and would not hold any pressure. That one probably had 100 psi too at one time and had completley blown out. So that was all the oil grime that I had cleaned off the rear drive.

After the carb reassembly, it did start and run better but the engine ran hot hot hot in the summer.
                          Had a garage day at Tim twr1776 and Was and Joe Nardy to do the carb needle shim job, and then the engine didt get as hot as it had been.

I have also replaced all the carb boots and boot orings.

Couple years later the idle would hang high.
                          Did another carb rebuild, this time broke down each carb from each other, so could replace all the orings including those around the enricher. That took care of that.

Seat pan was rusty, and got worse and the front bracket broke loose in about a year. Took me two years to find a replacement.

Thanks again for the comments.

Last edited by Redman; 09-05-2015, 06:02 PM.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
                          GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Perfect Bike, Redman... It may be the first time I've seen it when it wasn't sunrise or sunset!

(Whine:...but man, it is awkward seeing the BOM from inside the forum thread...I never come in through the GSR "Front door" where the BOM is...)
                            http://www.thegsresources.com/images/botm/2015_09.jpg

Comment

Working...
                            X