PDA

View Full Version : Bike useage vs your age...

MI GS850G guy
04-27-2017, 09:59 PM
Hi all,

I am 61 years old now. I got my driver's license when I was 16, and for the first six years afterwards I got around exclusively on a bike (my first one was a Yamaha 90 Enduro!). Back then, I took myself where ever I needed to go on my bike and going anywhere was an adventure. After a while, getting around on a bike was "just how I did things". But now - all these years later - I'm finding that riding in town to run errands is a chore.

The bike I've used so far is my '81 Honda CB900 Custom that I bought almost a year ago. It's a beautiful bike and I get compliments on it pretty regularly, but it's big and heavy and not very well-suited for stop-and-go traffic. When I finally have my '81 GS850G up and running correctly, I don't expect it's going to be much different. I have enjoyed the Honda very much for short jaunts out of town on nice days, on lightly-traveled roads.

So I have two poll questions:

1) how do you use your bike mainly?
2) how old are you?

Feedback is always appreciated!

Scott

kerrfunk
04-27-2017, 10:30 PM
two poll questions:

2) how old are you?

2) I'm 44. I got my first motorcycle 8.5 years ago.
1) I'm on #4 now, recently operational. I was non-running for the last 3 years. I use the bike if I have somewhere to go, especially if it's between 2 and, say, 100 miles, and I don't have to have much stuff with me. If I visit a church member or visit someone in the hospital or go to a meeting, if it's not raining, sure I'll ride. If I have a week-long event somewhere and it's 100-400 miles away I might slap a duffel bag on the rack. But I never ride to work. Because I live next to my workplace ;)

azr
04-27-2017, 10:41 PM
#1 - I use my GS bikes for pleasure use only (to have the cheap collector plate insurance in BC, Canada you can't use the bike for work).

#2 - 48 years young

GS1150Pilot
04-27-2017, 10:46 PM
49, been riding dirt bikes since I was 12 and on the street since I was 18. I ride to work once a week and then ride most Saturdays. I most enjoy long rides out of town, across the state or to California, New Mexico or Colorado.

VintageLad
04-27-2017, 10:51 PM
#1 I use my bike for a mix of fun and commuting to work. My wife also recently started riding with as well, and she loves it

#2 I'm 27 and this is my second bike. I got my license 5 years ago.

Brent

Steve
04-28-2017, 12:37 AM
1) If I didn't have to carry so much test equipment and occasionally have to pick up or deliver a large item, I would use my bike for work. So, ... mainly for pleasure. Down to the corner for a gallon of milk is not out of the question. Meeting someone two states over for coffee is not out of the question. Always a pleasure, though.

2) Older than you. Got a motorcycle endorsement on my license in 1975,

Sandy
04-28-2017, 01:34 AM
Started riding at 16 and now 66. Bought my first bike in '71and have not missed a year since. Riding has always been just for pleasure and for a few of my younger years when I didn't need a car for work I only owned a motorcycle.

smilinbrad
04-28-2017, 02:20 AM
I'm 66 now and have been riding legally for 50 years. Always been a city guy, no dirt bikes in my past.
I bought larger and heavier road bikes progressively until around 2009 when the guys at AZBeemers introduced me to Dual Sport riding and I bought an 800cc GS. That is the single, most all around competent bike I've ever owned!! That same year I bought a ZZR600 sport bike and used it for all my in town riding (in place of my R1100RT). A hand injury in 2010 made riding anything over 400 lbs a struggle and I stepped down (size) again. I now have a 2001 Bonneville and a 1979 Suzuki GS425. My riding experience has not suffered one bit from downsizing but I won't be doing any 600 mile days again!!
I averaged 20,000 miles per year in AZ, the Michigan riding season is shorter and I'm doing around 7,000 per year here. Lots of aimless wandering and local commutes. I just plain enjoy riding (and I'm single).

habsdoc
04-28-2017, 05:34 AM
I am 56 now and I started at 7 years old on a Honda Z50. I will ride every single day that the weather permits above -10 Celsius, snow and ice are a no go for me. Round trip to work is 50+ kilometers, from March till December usually. Motorcycle license for the road (legally) @ 16 on my birthday and I have not stopped since. I have only done 250 - 500 mile trips ( To the cabin mostly ) so far. I am counting down the days till I pull the plug from work and I am then able to travel when and where I want to go. I will always use the bike over the truck any day.

hjfisk
04-28-2017, 06:42 AM
I am 54, I started riding when I was 6 years old. My father had a small back yard bike shop as I was growing up. I have had numerous dirt bikes as a kid and many street bikes since. I still have the first bike I put on the road . Bought it new in 83' Suzuki Gs750Ed. Last year between the 3 bikes That I currently have on the road I managed a little over 15 k miles

GSXR7ED
04-28-2017, 07:04 AM
I'm working on getting my bike back on the road; she's been sitting as of July 2014.

Since I owned my GS, I've used it for work (while in Alamogordo, NM). Before my road trip, I mainly rode for seat time. I got my endorsement in 2011 -- I'm late to the party.

I turn 51 in June. One year, I started a birthday thread for someone who's birthday was near mine. Got called out but HEY! I like celebrating birthdays.

Ed

Baatfam
04-28-2017, 07:09 AM
61 years old. Started at 14 on a Honda Cub, license at 16. Dirt bikes, dual sports early on...than Harleys for 20+ years. Drag raced a 9 sec GS1100E for 7-8 years, and finally street bikes. Have four right now, see my sig.

When I was a teenager, I road everywhere, as it was my only transportation.
In my Harley years, I mostly road for pleasure, but would run errands/short trips, since I didn't wear a helmet or gear :o
During my racing years, I didn't ride on the street at all, (which was very common among the racers I knew).
Since then, and since I became ATGATT, it is strictly pleasure. I don't gear up to run to the store. If I gear up, it is to go ride for fun.
During the past three years, I've really cut the miles, due to two wrecks and heart surgery, but since moving to Eastern Tennessee, with fantastic roads only minutes away, I've started to get back in the groove, riding at least once or twice a week.

For those of us moving into the fourth quarter of life, physical and mental activity are an important key to a healthy existence. If done right, motorcycling can fill that role quite nicely.:cool:

AMK
04-28-2017, 07:11 AM
1) Got my endorsement in '76. Rode dad's 450 Honda until he sold it. I bought a Suzuki in '87. Rode it for everything but mostly to work. Sold it to raise kids (wife didn't want to leave orphans) and did without for 20 years.
Bought the 1100's within the last 5 years and use them for everything except hauling wood.

2) 57

davegs850
04-28-2017, 08:51 AM
1) Did not own a bike till I turned 50. Now on my third bike since then. Started with a Vulcan 800, but totaled that after 3000 miles. Left Turner got me. Did not know if I would get back on. Bought the gs and ride it mostly to work and trips up to 200 miles. Have ridden the gs 30,000 miles since then and the honda about the same. 2) 57

GS1150Pilot
04-28-2017, 09:06 AM
61 years old. Started at 14 on a Honda Cub, license at 16. Dirt bikes, dual sports early on...than Harleys for 20+ years. Drag raced a 9 sec GS1100E for 7-8 years, and finally street bikes. Have four right now, see my sig.

When I was a teenager, I road everywhere, as it was my only transportation.
In my Harley years, I mostly road for pleasure, but would run errands/short trips, since I didn't wear a helmet or gear :o
During my racing years, I didn't ride on the street at all, (which was very common among the racers I knew).
Since then, and since I became ATGATT, it is strictly pleasure. I don't gear up to run to the store. If I gear up, it is to go ride for fun.
During the past three years, I've really cut the miles, due to two wrecks and heart surgery, but since moving to Eastern Tennessee, with fantastic roads only minutes away, I've started to get back in the groove, riding at least once or twice a week.

For those of us moving into the fourth quarter of life, physical and mental activity are an important key to a healthy existence. If done right, motorcycling can fill that role quite nicely.:cool:

Great post. In regards to that final point, it is more important every year to stay fit. I was a competitive powerlifter in high school and then off and on in college (I got into competitive tug-of-war and fencing in university). Too many injuries from that, but as the docs who looked at my recent ACL tear noted, my bone structure is super solid, with no hint of arthritis. Staying active off the bike is critical. I am still in the gym three days a week, and hike and mountain bike on weekends. For motorcycling, hip and knee stability, along with core strength, are essential.

2BRacing
04-28-2017, 09:50 AM
Turning 62 soon. Motorcycle licence since 18 (in our country you could get a licence at 16, but only for 50cc engine size).

Started out on a Yamaha YL1 (100cc twin cylinder) as a daily commuter to university for 4 years (even in the rain!). Moved on to a Honda 550 Supersport for a few years, and then bought my GS850G new in 1981.

At present it is used mainly for weekend breakfast runs (but only if the weather is good - meaning temperatures of more than 20įC; no rain and not much wind!)

mrhedges
04-28-2017, 10:16 AM
1) Just got it running. I live a couple miles from work and parking and traffic are a nightmare (in the French Quarter) so I just ride my bicycle to work. I got the Motorcycle to go on tours/long trips.

2) 34 just got my endorsement a couple months ago.

have you considered getting a smaller bike for around town? Gs500 or a Ninja 250 or even a dirt bike? I don't like the big gs850g in traffic around town. I actually prefer my bicycle.

JTGS850GL
04-28-2017, 10:54 AM
1) Currently using the bikes for all the travel I can get. I use the Honda ST1100 now for daily commutes to work (about 25miles each way) and the GS1000 for when I feel like making more noise. The 850 was my daily rider for about 4 years until I picked up the ST. I plan on longer trips now that I have a solid touring bike.

2) I'm 57 and have been riding since 1977. My first bike was a Honda CB550SS in a blue metal flake.

sam000lee
04-28-2017, 10:56 AM
I'm 26 and have been riding my GS450 since I was 21. I use it for pretty much everything and in the summer it pretty much replaces my car (now truck) unless I need the extra space. I use it to commute in/out of the city, go to the grocery store, run errands, pleasure riding and I've started to use it to go camping pretty regularly and I'm sure will be doing that a lot this year. I rode throughout the winter until we got a blizzard and then I tore the bike down to do get it up to speed for the next year.
The GS450 is awesome since it's small enough to beat around the city but I'll also do a 200 mile day into the country without thinking twice. My GS450 isn't cosmetically `pristine' so it's kind of perfect for everyday riding without worrying about it getting dirty/scratched/whatever.
I got a '77 GS750 in the fall that will replace the GS450 for longer days and camping trips and I'll be taking it cross country sometime this year, too.

MI GS850G guy
04-28-2017, 11:42 AM
1) Just got it running. I live a couple miles from work and parking and traffic are a nightmare (in the French Quarter) so I just ride my bicycle to work. I got the Motorcycle to go on tours/long trips.

2) 34 just got my endorsement a couple months ago.

have you considered getting a smaller bike for around town? Gs500 or a Ninja 250 or even a dirt bike? I don't like the big gs850g in traffic around town. I actually prefer my bicycle.

I bought my current car just about a year ago, and have only put 10K miles on it since. Most of those miles have been getting to work and back (about 7 miles each way on surface streets). Even though it's larger than a motorcycle (or bicycle), it's really quite convenient and allows me to take passengers on the spur of the moment - something I can't do when I'm riding my bike. I think that all things considered, I will continue to use my car for most of my errands and save the bikes for pleasant evening and weekend outings.

Sure do appreciate all the responses I gotten on this thread!

Burque73
04-28-2017, 11:48 AM
1) If I can ride I will prefer it over driving. May even invent reasons to go run errands just to ride. Uh oh, need a pound of vennison for a recipe and it's only sold at a little butcher shop in the next town.....

2)43 till August, then if I remember 44, but may just stay 43 anoher year.

Got a learner's permit for the bike at seventeen in 1990 and never officially had the endorsement on my license until 2004. Initially I had a Rebel 250 but sold it for GS850 which was the sole trnsportation in the house. My dad drove an 18 wheeler around the country and my mom didn't even have a driver's license so there was no car in the home. I took her grocery shopping with the saddlebags and the backrest with the rack on it we could carry quite a bit. Mom had a blast riding with me.

dorkburger
04-28-2017, 12:26 PM
My bike is mainly a stress reliever.... and growing kids / family obligations don't allow me to relive as much stress as I'd like. I also use it whenever I can to pick up small items. I'm sometimes a bit envious of those who can ride to work - a company van is my work ride.
I grew up riding mini bikes, dirt bikes, ATCs, and whatever else we could make go. I got my bike license in '91 and have been riding ever since, though the aforementioned family responsiblity has greatly reduced my miles ridden in recent years.

44, ill be 45 in August.

Burque73
04-28-2017, 12:48 PM
My bike is mainly a stress reliever.... and growing kids / family obligations don't allow me to relive as much stress as I'd like. I also use it whenever I can to pick up small items. I'm sometimes a bit envious of those who can ride to work - a company van is my work ride.
I grew up riding mini bikes, dirt bikes, ATCs, and whatever else we could make go. I got my bike license in '91 and have been riding ever since, though the aforementioned family responsiblity has greatly reduced my miles ridden in recent years.

44, ill be 45 in August.

Good on you for focusing on family. As Ed mentioned in another thread, family first (thanks Ed BTW). Bikes will always be there, kids grow then they're gone! After picking my 6yr old son up from soccer practice running late for cub scouts, he fell asleep on the back of my KLR650. Darn near fell off. That woke me up for sure. Bikes had to wait a bit and that's ok. It was neat though to pull up on the KLR and referee a soccer game or two, but stuff, kids, and busyness made me put it aside for a while.

kerrfunk
04-28-2017, 01:07 PM
By my count, half of the folks who have responded so far are 55+

MI GS850G guy
04-28-2017, 01:18 PM

That's good to see. Though it doesn't surprise me considering the age of the GS line.

I stopped at a Waffle House in Piqua, OH the other day (in my car). While I was eating, a group of four Harley riders showed up and gathered outside to converse for a while before they came into the restaurant. I think I can say safely that GS riders differ pretty significantly from Harley riders!

GSXR7ED
04-28-2017, 01:21 PM
Good on you for focusing on family. As Ed mentioned in another thread, family first (thanks Ed BTW). Bikes will always be there, kids grow then they're gone! After picking my 6yr old son up from soccer practice running late for cub scouts, he fell asleep on the back of my KLR650. Darn near fell off. That woke me up for sure. Bikes had to wait a bit and that's ok. It was neat though to pull up on the KLR and referee a soccer game or two, but stuff, kids, and busyness made me put it aside for a while.

Yes, thanks for the mention Roger!

I'm slowly getting the things I need to do in order to get my bike back on the road.

Ed

EDIT: Come on Steve, we're all wanting to know the age of the GS Whisperer.

Steve
04-28-2017, 02:25 PM
EDIT: Come on Steve, we're all wanting to know the age of the GS Whisperer.
Look at item #2 in post #6.

Then look at the same item in post #1.

storm 64
04-28-2017, 02:34 PM
I was introduced to motorcycling at a young age. Being the youngest of four boys, my older brothers had a big influence on me. I started out riding mini bikes and reading magazines. Later in my teen years (1978-1984) I was big into Motocross. We would go to watch all the National and Grand Prix races with in 1000 miles. After graduating high school, I got big into Drag Racing. I got a great deal on a 1982 GS 1100e. I proceeded to take the Sawzall to it! Raked the steering stem, 6"over swing arm, 6" wide rear tire... I raced from 1985-1991. Those were some great years! I picked up my 81 1100e street bike in 1990. I rode the wheels off of it. About 1995 I hooked up with a girlfriend and her daughter. Instead of buying motorcycle parts I was now buying Beenie Babys! The motorcycles got put into storage for about five years. The daughter got older so I ditched the girlfriend. I started to rebuild the 1100e, I detuned the race engine and put it into my street bike. Talk about your ultimate bar hopper! I was looking for a more user friendly motorcycle and thats when I found my 850g. It started to get some recognition at some of the shows and Bike Nites that I'd go to. I decided that I need another motorcycle, so I bought my 1000e. I think my project for next year is to get the drag bike back in race condition... Oh, I'm 52 going on 18☺

Wingsconsin
04-28-2017, 02:44 PM
2) how old are you?

1) - I own 2 motorcycles right now-
My Goldwing is used for 2 up riding with she who must be obeyed; and any time I have a lot to carry along ; or any long distance trip (over 500 miles in one day)
Or any other day I would rather have a smooth ride with fuel injection and big comfortable seat
The GS850 is my commuter bike - to work, around the neighborhood, bike nights, etc. Fun to tinker on and with and great to ride.
Not as good in cold weather so in early Spring and late fall you will find me on the Wing in full heated gear.

2) Got my motorcycle endorsement in 1978 - My Father would not let me get a license nor a motorcycle until I was of legal age to vote and had the ability to pay all the expenses on my own. I was 19 years old - Now I am approaching 58 and still the coolest guy in my family ;)

Burque73
04-28-2017, 03:34 PM
....When I finally have my '81 GS850G up and running correctly, I don't expect it's going to be much different. I have enjoyed the Honda very much for short jaunts out of town on nice days, on lightly-traveled roads......

Scott

I'm very pleased with how the 850 handles in town. It is certainty heavier than some others and a bitch to pick up if you stall in a U-turn or hit a patch of sand in a corner, but a terrific overall bike. As Wymple said in another thread about his 81 850 it leaves him "not needing anything else".
Another member described the 850 as doing everything well but nothing really exceptionally well, or something to that effect. Sorry, can't recall who said that.

JTGS850GL
04-28-2017, 03:46 PM
The 850 was designed to be a utility bike. Part touring and part commuter bike. Probably one of Suzuki's most versatile machines. You can beat the heck out of them and they still keep going. Something to do with being the smallest displacement of the big block GS series.;)

MI GS850G guy
04-28-2017, 03:59 PM
The 850 was designed to be a utility bike. Part touring and part commuter bike. Probably one of Suzuki's most versatile machines. You can beat the heck out of them and they still keep going. Something to do with being the smallest displacement of the big block GS series.;)

BUT..... as I have learned, they are NOT maintenance-free. I'm pretty sure mine sat in a barn for a long time before I bought it. Somebody gave it a quick bath so it would look good in pictures, but underneath, there was silt in EVERYTHING! There was silt inside the electrical connectors, and silt on the inside of the boots that covered the electrical connections, and silt in the folds of the electrical tape that bound the wiring harnesses, and silt in the plastic pouch for the factory air gauge. But there is no sign of water damage. So after many hours of cleaning, there is no more silt!

So my reason for making the remark about silt is that there were other signs of neglect as well, and those deferred-maintenance items required correcting before the bike would even run.

JTGS850GL
04-28-2017, 04:03 PM
BUT..... as I have learned, they are NOT maintenance-free. I'm pretty sure mine sat in a barn for a long time before I bought it. Somebody gave it a quick bath so it would look good in pictures, but underneath, there was silt in EVERYTHING! There was silt inside the electrical connectors, and silt on the inside of the boots that covered the electrical connections, and silt in the folds of the electrical tape that bound the wiring harnesses, and silt in the plastic pouch for the factory air gauge. But there is no sign of water damage. So after many hours of cleaning, there is no more silt!

So my reason for making the remark about silt is that there were other signs of neglect as well, and those deferred-maintenance items required correcting before the bike would even run.

But even with all that abuse it will still run once the PM is done.

MI GS850G guy
04-28-2017, 04:31 PM
But even with all that abuse it will still run once the PM is done.

Yes, it is cleaning up nicely. Steve (GSWhisperer) is doing my carbs now. It has new tires, new chrome airbox side covers, and a bunch of new small hardware items that I will install once it runs correctly. I had the rear tire off last week and used the opportunity to clean the inside and underside of the exhaust. I looks very nearly new!

Burque73
04-28-2017, 06:12 PM

Well that says a lot about why I'm so keen on the bike. In the last twenty five years I've owned 4 vans, 6 pickup trucks, driven three other large company work vans and never owned a car. My wife had a Camry and Subaru outback but I rarely drove them( ok technically they were mine too inasmuch as this is her bike which she won't touch). Utility vehicles suit me fine!

AMK
04-28-2017, 09:29 PM
The 850L I had I bought in '87. Versatile machine it was. I sold it in '95.
About a two or three weeks ago I asked my friend if it was still around for I had sold it to his nephew. He checked and reported last week that his nephew had joined the navy 2 years after he bought it and sold it to a friend. Within a year that friend wrecked it and sold it to a scrap yard in Massachusetts.
I asked him because I had hoped I could get it back but, alas, it's gone. I loved that bike. Bums me out that it's gone.

MI GS850G guy
04-28-2017, 09:37 PM
About a two or three weeks ago I asked my friend if it was still around for I had sold it to his nephew. He checked and reported last week that his nephew had joined the navy 2 years after he bought it and sold it to a friend. Within a year that friend wrecked it and sold it to a scrap yard in Massachusetts.
I asked him because I had hoped I could get it back but, alas, it's gone. I loved that bike. Bums me out that it's gone.

Man I understand. But the good news is there seems to still be a pretty good supply of 850s around. Check out Craigslist (so you can go inspect them in person). There is also a pretty good Classified section on this Forum. So go get you a new one!

GSXR7ED
04-28-2017, 10:09 PM
Look at item #2 in post #6.

Then look at the same item in post #1.

I was 9 years old in 1975. Were you 16 when you got your endorsement? Wait...back in those days, was it 13 years of age to get a license?

You certainly aren't 70 yet...and if you're still working at that age, are you in debt up to your eyeballs?

Anyway, you don't act your age from the conversations we've had...just an observation.

Ed

Steve
04-29-2017, 12:41 AM
I was not 16 when I got my endorsement. (Wasn't 13, either.)

I am not 70 yet.

The debt level is only about waist-high, nowhere near the eyeballs.

Many will say that I never have acted my age, nowadays I take that as a compliment. :encouragement:

Age is just a state of mind. If you don't mind, it doesn't matter. My mother always said I never did mind.

AMK
04-29-2017, 04:57 AM
Man I understand. But the good news is there seems to still be a pretty good supply of 850s around. Check out Craigslist (so you can go inspect them in person). There is also a pretty good Classified section on this Forum. So go get you a new one!

I have a couple of 1100's which I very much like. My thoughts on my old 850 were purely nostalgic.
I see a lot of signatures with 4, 5 and 6 or so bikes listed and can't imagine keeping up with all of them.

storm 64
04-29-2017, 09:00 AM
I got my motorcycle endorsement when I was about 21... I got pulled over, the cop said "Riding with no motorcycle endorsement is like riding with no drivers license at all". He gave me a ticket. So, I went to court thinking I'd just plead no contest, pay a fine and be on my merry way. The judge said "Riding with no motorcycle endorsement is like riding with no license at all! It's a first degree mistamener! I'd advise you to plead not guilty and come back with a attorney!" I left the court room a little startled, I have to get a attorney?? I went to see the attorney, he said "$500 and I'll see what I can do". Meanwhile I got my endorsement. Went back to court, nervously waiting for my attorney to show up (he was late) He shows up goes to the back room, comes back out and tells me "all you have to say is thank you your honor". The judge calls me up. No fine No court cost. I said "thank you your honor"... That stupid mistake only cost me $500!

Burque73
04-29-2017, 09:48 AM

That's too bad. Would be really cool to wind up with the same bike again. I can't remember exactly what 850G I had back in the day. I sold it to a friend of a friend and after many of my buddies joined the military in 1992 and I left town for work, we severed all communication. Mine was a blue/ green (teal?) color. I'm pretty sure the gauges were all one piece like the 81 and the choke a pull knob. My parents may have a picture in the bottom of a box somewhere but I hated having my pic taken and was really bad about using a camera to preserve memories. I had a windjammer in the garage I bought from a vacuum salesman, but never put it on. If I did I may have ridden the bike to Macon, Georgia where I went for work instead of selling it for a plane ticket.

Burque73
04-29-2017, 09:51 AM
The bike I've used so far is my '81 Honda CB900 Custom that I bought almost a year ago. It's a beautiful bike and I get compliments on it pretty regularly.....

Scott

Hey Scott, you'll get plenty of comments/ compliments on a nice looking GS as well as the CB900. I have that happen quite often. I spend most of my riding time on the highway/ freeway but I've had people next to me at stoplights roll down their window and start conversations about an 850 they once owned and Vetter accessories. The bike shop (Moto Authority, High Velocity Cycles, Cycle Gear) employees have come outside to check it out and all appreciate these old bikes. Funny thing though, the dealership guys could give a flip.

Cyrano
04-29-2017, 12:29 PM
Mine is just for afternoon cruises around the local countryside. Don't feel the need for speed (much) and I like the comfort offered by the 'L'.

I'm another who has reached 55 and I've been riding since I was 16. I've hit all corners of the UK and a couple of European trips in that time but due the wife's disabilities I need to be more localised nowadays.

GSXR7ED
04-29-2017, 02:17 PM
I got my motorcycle endorsement when I was about 21... I got pulled over, the cop said "Riding with no motorcycle endorsement is like riding with no drivers license at all". He gave me a ticket. So, I went to court thinking I'd just plead no contest, pay a fine and be on my merry way. The judge said "Riding with no motorcycle endorsement is like riding with no license at all! It's a first degree mistamener! I'd advise you to plead not guilty and come back with a attorney!" I left the court room a little startled, I have to get a attorney?? I went to see the attorney, he said "$500 and I'll see what I can do". Meanwhile I got my endorsement. Went back to court, nervously waiting for my attorney to show up (he was late) He shows up goes to the back room, comes back out and tells me "all you have to say is thank you your honor". The judge calls me up. No fine No court cost. I said "thank you your honor"... That stupid mistake only cost me $500!

Soooo,

Basically...the judge wanted you to have representation who would have a sidebar discussion with him so you'd worry yourself mad after getting your endorsement? That's quite the lesson there, Norm.

E

storm 64
04-29-2017, 02:29 PM
Soooo,

Basically...the judge wanted you to have representation who would have a sidebar discussion with him so you'd worry yourself mad after getting your endorsement? That's quite the lesson there, Norm.

E

I've always thought about it as, as long as someone got paid it didn't matter if it was the court or the attorney. Yes, it was a lesson learned. Thinking about it now, it was a cheap lesson learned.

Joe Garfield
04-29-2017, 04:06 PM
1) I don't take the bike if I'm late to work and I'll be stuck in thick LA traffic. I don't take the bike if I'm feeling rushed or anxious, and I don't take the bike if I know it's going to steadily rain. I use it just about any other time - to work, to the canyons, and for weekend trips.

2) 39

Edit: I just realized I answered this based on my new bike. I'm actually not 39.
Just kidding.

If it were the GS, I'd say I use it for anything within ~100 mile radius. 200-250 mi is the longest I've done in a day and my legs and bum were wrecked.

Redfish
04-29-2017, 05:03 PM
1) I went through six 4 wheeled death machines in my first 4 years of having a license, I spent less than 1000 on all of them, one i sold to upgrade, one i sold to make rent, most of them I wrenched on till no one would give me an inspection sticker. Around here frame rot is a typical end game for old cars and pick-ups. Thought I could break the cycle by spending more money on a truck. Silly me. that truck i spent a few grand on was worse than the cars i spent 500 on. I had to take it off the road immediately, leaving me with just my motorcycle.

I haven't owned a car since then. Just the motorcycle. It's my daily rider, I use it to get to work, go to the grocery store, anything and everything. funny thing is i haven't had to lift a finger to do anything but scheduled maintenance since i got it. The winters here in Massachusetts get cold and icy, so I've taken to riding south the last couple winters. I come back as soon as things thaw out enough to start putting crops in the ground.

2) 23 in Man years

GSXR7ED
04-29-2017, 05:26 PM
1) I don't take the bike if I'm late to work and I'll be stuck in thick LA traffic. I don't take the bike if I'm feeling rushed or anxious, and I don't take the bike if I know it's going to steadily rain. I use it just about any other time - to work, to the canyons, and for weekend trips.

2) 39

Edit: I just realized I answered this based on my new bike. I'm actually not 39.
Just kidding.

If it were the GS, I'd say I use it for anything within ~100 mile radius. 200-250 mi is the longest I've done in a day and my legs and bum were wrecked.

What kinda seat you got on your shaftie? When I put the correct seat on my "T", it made a big difference. It was more comfortable than the "L" seat it came with.

I did a 250+ mile ride in NM and I had no issues. I also installed Progressive shocks so that probably helped too.

Maybe you need shocks if you're still using the original ones.

Ed

AMK
04-29-2017, 06:16 PM
1) I went through six 4 wheeled death machines in my first 4 years of having a license, I spent less than 1000 on all of them, one i sold to upgrade, one i sold to make rent, most of them I wrenched on till no one would give me an inspection sticker. Around here frame rot is a typical end game for old cars and pick-ups. Thought I could break the cycle by spending more money on a truck. Silly me. that truck i spent a few grand on was worse than the cars i spent 500 on. I had to take it off the road immediately, leaving me with just my motorcycle.

I haven't owned a car since then. Just the motorcycle. It's my daily rider, I use it to get to work, go to the grocery store, anything and everything. funny thing is i haven't had to lift a finger to do anything but scheduled maintenance since i got it. The winters here in Massachusetts get cold and icy, so I've taken to riding south the last couple winters. I come back as soon as things thaw out enough to start putting crops in the ground.

2) 23 in Man years

I'm 682.5 months in baby years.

Redfish
04-29-2017, 09:14 PM
I'm 682.5 months in baby years.

That's 8.125 in dog years

dorkburger
04-29-2017, 09:44 PM
According to my younger son I'm a guggajamillion, and inexplicably older then his grandfather.

Gorminrider
04-30-2017, 12:56 PM
Good for you, daily riders !
....That's me when I was 23 or so too. Cars suck up $ and isolate people from weather , each other...yer an Eco-Cowboy in a herd of road-blisters without even trying and having a good time too.( I don't feel this so much now, but back in the 70's I was pretty hot about it...) ...very few times where I needed a 4 wheeled vehicle...and could be(can be) generous with filling a pickup truck's tank etc when I do really need to borrow one...
I got so minimalist, I couldn't even have a bike but recently, I'm back..originally just to have ONE shiny, pretty, thing, to look at. A Bike is one of the prettiest Objects ever made.( Boats too but much more involved! beyond a dinghy...)

I still favour smaller bikes.They seem to suit everything I do hereabouts..medium hwys and town streets, multiple stops. ..400s seems to get most use....one bike maybe up to 750 (merely because these are the tiers for insurance$ here!) The 650 is pretty good too in all that and a slightly better long ride and on whatever passes for a SLAB ...but more awkward parking on ditch shoulders or backing up a slopes...
I have no "Dignatas" !....I will never be a Great Rider... a gawky dork in baggy textile suit slouched onto these so I keep my mirrors on the road behind!
63! lucky me to have these bikes .

eil
05-01-2017, 04:48 PM
I'm in my late 30's. I bought my 1980 GS850GL a few years back as my first bike, a bargain craigslist special. Fixed it up over the winter and rode it in the summer. That fall, I picked up a 1981 GS750E in near-mint condition. Rode it for a year and it was definitely a fantastic bike but I discovered that the beat-up L model was better suited to me so I sold the 750.

I mainly just ride to work and blast around town. I'll take it out for a spin with the wife on occasion. I have taken it up north a few times (a 3-hour ride) but those are definitely not as fun owing to the L's uncomfortable seat and tiny gas tank.

mnferwerda
05-01-2017, 06:46 PM
My brother got a bike when he was 17. He got in a bad accident w/in 6 months of getting it (not his fault) so that idea of my getting one went out the door for awhile. However I did get a GS550 when I turned 24 and had it for a few years until my son was born and then sold it. When my son decided to get a bike a few years ago, it was a good excuse to get back into it, and bought a GR650. I use it mostly for getting back and forth to work, but we've done some trips on it. I'll post a separate thread on the one we just finished.

I'm now 60. AND I'm not surprised at the general age of this group...

Gorminrider
05-03-2017, 03:04 PM
I'm now 60. AND I'm not surprised at the general age of this group...
Well me neither!
... twas ever so: young folks pop in pick up what they need and take off again. They have too many things going on in their pants to stay still! :)

Jedz123
05-09-2017, 06:11 AM
1) I have 3 machines, I use for play, commuting and long distance tours or away vacations. I ride on average 20K miles a year.
2) 33 This past January. I've been riding for 11 years now. Got into it with a Honda Passport C70, my first big motorcycle was a cheap older then me $500 GS750L.

Jedz123
05-09-2017, 06:49 AM
Well me neither!
... twas ever so: young folks pop in pick up what they need and take off again. They have too many things going on in their pants to stay still! :)
Not always true!

renobruce
05-09-2017, 10:55 AM
55 in August. I started out on a Honda 50 when I was 8. Bought my first street bike, a GS850L when I was 19. It was my only form of transportation for about 2 years...rode that thing winter and summer! Brrr! I've had some sort of street bike ever since. Bought my 1150 new, and started collecting and restoring bikes in 2004. I had a bunch at one time, but down to the 1150, the Cooley, and a 2002 GSF1200 Bandit now. My wife rides a VFR800 and just bought a new SV650. I ride to work sometimes if the weather is good, but mostly for pleasure. I don't like being cold anymore.

Gorminrider
05-09-2017, 11:25 AM
Not always true!

yes, but you have an attention span beyond your years... anyways I was just kidding sort of. It does look like mostly younger come in for a quick fix.

gustovh
05-09-2017, 12:49 PM
Am 66 and have been riding since I was 10. I started on a Honda 90 trail bike and living on a large ranch, rode it everywhere, even to the 2 room school. Licence at 16 and bought a 250 Dream which make a pretty poor trail bike and rode it to destruction. Bought a 350 and went on from there. Have been riding every year, some more than than others, and expect to do over 2000 miles for a rally.

I own a boat load of bikes, but currently ride only 4, a TTR125 my local runabout to the neighbors etc., 919 for well sport riding, and my 850L and 1100L for tour and rally.

V

wymple
05-21-2017, 10:18 PM
I've had a lot of totally different rides in my 48 riding years, from Yammie 2 strokes to big Jap twins & fours, to Italian Guzzi's. After all that I end up riding a 1981 GS850G, bit of a beater, and my old 1984 Moto Guzzi California. The one I like the most is the one I'm on. They both do the same thing in a different way. I find neither lacking, but I don't dual purpose anymore, and I don't drag the pegs. Everything you've done in your life has led you to the point where you are now. Only complaints are bikes I wanted and missed out on. I am 68, and prefer to just follow the boys around.

jjbmxer
07-14-2017, 01:11 AM
Started on a trail 90 bought an sl125 preston petty fenders an a bassani pipe got up to a 250 elsinor then had 69 cb750 a 73 cb750 and then a dog but very clean 75 cb750. then later a cbr600f1 and a cbr600f2 also a fj1200 shortly now a 04 cbr1000rr and latest a 1979 gs1000.

GS1150Pilot
07-14-2017, 05:51 AM
Started on a trail 90 bought an sl125 preston petty fenders an a bassani pipe got up to a 250 elsinor then had 69 cb750 a 73 cb750 and then a dog but very clean 75 cb750. then later a cbr600f1 and a cbr600f2 also a fj1200 shortly now a 04 cbr1000rr and latest a 1979 gs1000.

You didn't answer the age question.

Suzukirob
07-14-2017, 07:32 AM
I'm 31, rode dirtbikes in my teens, started street riding when I was 19 or 20. Before my motorcycle decided to stop running I rode it to work and for trips/fun. I ride off-road with my quad a lot also.

Mosquito13
07-14-2017, 08:35 AM
Been riding since I was 9 now 54. First bike 80 cc two stroke dirt. At 12 I got to start to build a triumph tiger into a 850 at my neighbors club house for my 16th(rode this bike for 25 years). Grew up in Milwaukee and never owned a Harley though family worked there... Lots of two stroke yamaha rd's, rz's and kawasaki's H1's and H2's. Got my first GS a 850 while living on St Thomas USVI. Have done a couple big off road trips. 3 months in Egypt on a TT500 following the Pharaohs rally route loosely, and a month in Honduras(all their roads are potted two tracks)
Since moving back to the USA tried doing drag racing . I sucked, was never consistent and cost began to be prohibitive. Fastest was 160 mph(I backed off) on a 99 Hayabusa I purchased in Canada and drove back to Michigan. Traded it for a roof on my cabin in Iron River,MI and some cash(uncomfortable ride, had planned to ride it back to Florida). Currently own 3 rd400's one rd350, 77KZ650, 82GS1100G. I do 99% of my own work on my bikes. Do not do body work/paint or put tires on rims. I ride mainly mothers day thru to Nov. when the snow birds and tourist return to FLA. Then it is just back roads after 5 pm when they leave the roads for early bird specials and happy hour. I still like smoking the tires and popping wheelies though speed isn't that big of a thrill anymore.

Brendan W
07-14-2017, 08:45 AM
I'm 59. Got my first bike, CB200, in '79 and rode everywhere.Even went two up camping to Paris on that thing. Graduated to Z650 and was doing a lot of miles. Eventually family and car arrived and with the kids getting older I hung up my helmet and sold the R100. By that time I was mostly going solo on short local runs in good weather. I had a lot of other committments both for myself and the kids and I started to notice I was getting slower or more chicken. The time had come for a break.
Nest empty now and four years ago I bought the 850. The two of us are like teens again. She was really surprised that she enjoys it more now. We use it to get a coffee at the lighthouse or the boat locks on the river and the occasional 200 miler for a weekend away. 100 miles a week is average. Sometimes a week or two can go by especially in the summer with family and boats and fishing intervening. I probably do most solo riding in the winter months.
We live in a Viking town. They did not have much time for car parks so if I need to see a couple of suits about paperwork or run a few errands in short order, nothing beats the bike.
I like it when the girls at the supermarket checkouts ask me to remove the helmet for an age check buying alcohol :)
I have been borrowing my son's 1979 KZ400. I like it. I think we forget that smaller capacity machines have a place. The 850 can be like handling a heavy boat in town traffic. The 400 is like waving a wand. Which reminds me. I promised myself a TS185 many years ago.

glib
07-14-2017, 05:20 PM
1. I ride strictly for pleasure--well, that and sanity. Always loved anything with a motor but I wasn't allowed to have anything "dangerous" until I was out on my own. As a teenager, a friend gave me a Honda 125 for $25 but I had to get rid of it the same day. Got my first real ride in '83. Brand new CB1000 Custom. Learned to ride when I left the dealership with it. I have a couple three and four hour routes in the hills east of here that I take to de-stress. I avoid the freeway and any traffic really.

2. I'm 58.

850 Combat
07-15-2017, 04:06 PM
I'm 62 years old. I leaned to ride a motorcycle at ten, on a Suzuki 80 Hillbilly. I got my own motorcycle, a Honda S90, at eleven. My first street bike was when I was about 19, a 1969 BSA 441 Victor Special. I sold my car, and rode the Victim for most of a year to save up for a better car. I didn't get a motorcycle license until twenty six, on a Norton Commando I bought new, and did a lot of touring, commuting, and even entered a Mexican road race on it, in 1987.

I bought a couple GS850Gs in '87 for my brother and I to tour on. I did not love them, but I certainly respected them. I don't mind running errands on the bikes, but commuting, the extra time it takes to gear up used to put me off. That said, I really don't commute from home any more, because I work at remote sites.

I haven't been riding much lately, due to work, rental property, and playing with a Lotus Esprit S4 I bought about 2 1/2 years ago. A GS1000G suites me well. I keep the Samsonite trunk on the rack, and only use the bags on a tour. I like the comfort. I like the low and mid range power. My right hip isn't too good now, and kick starting Commandos with extra compression has probably contributed to that condition. Even Touring, I take pains to stay off of controlled access highways, so the lack of top end power my 1000G lacks compared to modern non-Harleys isn't a problem.

I hope to have more time to get out there in the near future.

GSXR7ED
07-15-2017, 05:10 PM
Good feedback on this thread. Beats the POTUS thread and new subjects coming up in the Vortex.

I've only been riding since 2011 when I was 44 and started with a 2000/GSX-R750 (After I got my MSF course done)--that lasted 6 months and I sold the bike.

Step in my "T" that I found on CL (Nov 2012) from Glenn Burnie, MD that was in the middle of a clutch rebuild. Took it to local bike shop I was referred to and low and behold it was a starter! (Compression test checked good). Found this site in December 2012 and been enjoying this place since!

I enjoy reading about how everyone got into their riding so thanks for sharing your stories.

My "T" has been sitting (Since July 2015) but waiting patiently as I have been preoccupied with my family/house responsibilities/work and my relaxing times in places that serve Craft Beer. I know that once I sort things out, I will concentrate on my bike and do my "Due Diligence" and get her safely prepared for riding. In the meantime, I have been increasing my post count with replies to threads that interest me. It's all good.

Ed

BadMonk
07-22-2017, 03:19 PM

Currently, I use my bikes for pleasure/recreational riding, for short trips to visit folks, runs to the store when I need small things. and whatever else. I've always gone on two wheels whenever possible - work, school, vacation, etc.

2) how old are you?

I'm 62. Started riding mini bikes and Honda 50s when I was 11 or 12 in our corn and wheat fields that were behind school and across the street from my house. Legally got onto the street at 17 or 18. I ride less now than when I was younger. Health has a lot - no, just about everything - to do with it. I don't plan on not riding for a long time though.

fastbysuzuki
07-25-2017, 04:28 PM
i use it for pleasure and some touring, just compleated a 2200 mile 9 day trip to Spain/Portugal some camping and small hotels/hostels.

2) How old are you?
I am 70 Years young and getting younger🤤 I aim to continue riding as long as I enjoy it.

earlfor
07-25-2017, 11:32 PM
I'm 74. My transportation and recreation is the bike, so I ride every day. The only time I drive my truck is when I need to pick up something I can't carry with the bike. Been on two wheels about 52 years now. I think I'm starting to get the hang of it. heh

Burque73
07-25-2017, 11:52 PM
Some of you guys have been on two wheels longer than I've been on two feet!

Hats off to you fellas, ride on!

Buffalo Bill
07-26-2017, 07:38 AM
Ok, born 1954. Riding since 2007.
I seem to get into fads, and stay there for a year or so. This past year it's been playing rock music, building guitars.
Seems I like to build more than play, bikes or guitars.
Last 2 years it was building a track bike and learning how to ride track. Track fees are rather pricey, $160 to $210 a day.
This summer, well the number of wacky tourists plus wacky deer running across the road has been too much. Mostly only riding my bicycle on the back roads instead of a motorbike. I like the feeling of staying in shape, hate of the feeling of getting smashed out of shape.
Waiting for the tourists to clear out, so I can have my roads back. Will be back to riding in the fall.
I been riding my bicycle through town to buy groceries and beer. No worries about parking, never have to back out blind wondering if an idiot will ram me.
(Just cleared 4000 posts!) :cool:

cowboyup3371
07-26-2017, 08:07 AM
Hello I'm Scott, I'm 46 years old and I have had a riding problem for the last 7 years. I used to ride to work a lot but I have been working from home more and more for the last 18 months. So, most of my riding now is for fun on the weekends or whenever Charmayne isn't working in the evenings.

JJ
07-26-2017, 09:46 AM
I'm 61. I have been riding since i was nine. I started off on a 3.5HP mini-bike.

Trilug
07-26-2017, 10:26 AM
I will hopefully be getting my first bike (83 gs850) in a week. I will hopefully be using it as a daily driver, after I get it completely tuned up, weather permitting. Even when I'm making a trip in the motorhome (99 workhorse shortcuts conversion) I'll have the bike with me as a "toad".

I'll be 40 this fall, and my youngest will be 17 a month after.

tkent02
07-26-2017, 11:17 AM
60. Ride everywhere unless it's snowing or I'm carrying plywood or something. I went down the bigger and more powerful and heavier road for a while. Now I'm downsizing and getting more bikes. Got an F8GS, don't ride it much, the seat is terrible and it is a lot harder to ride in the rough terrain that the smaller bikes. It will go most anywhere but it's very hard work, it weighs a ton. DR 350, goes most anywhere but it's heavy for the rough steep terrain. Great for riding with my grand daughter on the back, keeping up with my wife on her AJP, or running down to the store for something. I probably ride it the most lately. IT 175, much lighter, great dirt bike, goes everywhere much easier. Just picked up an IT 200, lighter than the 175, a lot more powerful, much better suspension. It will be good once I get it in decent shape. The GS 550/675, mostly for blasting across town or across the state. Rip around the mountain roads sometimes. It's probably my favorite, but it's limited to pavement or nice smooth gravel roads. Got a 1968 AS50 for zipping around the neighborhood but I need to get around to getting it running. Have a nice tight 1977 GS 750, it's going to get the 1000/1100 engine as soon as I get around to it, but mostly it's just in the way. Haven't ridden it lately. It's a bit of a dog up here at 6,000' and higher. The 550/675 will blow it away and is way more fun to ride.
If I had to lug out an 1100 every time I wanted to ride I probably wouldn't ride very much.

bobgroger
07-26-2017, 03:40 PM
I think if you look on a Gixxer or Busa forum you won't find anyone over 30....
Most of us are trying to re-live our glory days. I know I am. 62, started riding dirt bikes at 13. Bought my first street bike at 21, a '76 KZ900 with 1 mile. Rode it 4 years, realized I wouldn't survive much longer if I kept riding, and sold it. After a 35 year break, family grown up, I found a $500 850G on Craigslist and joined here thinking I could avoid the 10 newbie mistakes. Nope, and added a few more. Now I have 4 GS's and a modern bike. We have about a 5 month riding season, I ride any time I can avoid the freeway or don't need to haul stuff.

earlfor
07-26-2017, 04:01 PM
I think if you look on a Gixxer or Busa forum you won't find anyone over 30....

I expect so. The GSR in most every way is unlike any other motorcycle site. It's more like a fraternity than an internet site. heh There is also a blatant lack of squids, ricky racers, bling boys and poseurs here. LOL

glib
07-26-2017, 04:56 PM
...joined here thinking I could avoid the 10 newbie mistakes. Nope, and added a few more.

Had to laugh. I'm a learn by error kinda guy.

kingofvenus
07-27-2017, 08:32 PM
I ride as much as i can. At the local dragstrip when there is a race with my 29yr old son who runs an '04 gsxr 1000. My 750 is raced when it is running, the idiot that owns it keeps breaking it.... I'm 57, i have owned at least one or more bikes since i was 10.

jjbmxer
08-07-2017, 03:44 AM
Started at about 10years old a few years ago i put 20,000 miles on a cbr600f2 mostly back and forth to work. now just ride to relax now that i am almost 56

Joe Garfield
08-08-2017, 01:24 PM
The older I get, the newer and faster my bikes get.

Boriqua
08-08-2017, 02:05 PM
I am 54 and started riding street bikes when I was 16. Right through my 20's it was my sole form of transport and I rode on the tire path of cars left through snow back in NYC. Winter, spring, rain or sun I rode. Insurance cost for cars was out of my reach at the time and my Suzuki 750 never failed me. Had a girlfriend at one point that was 60 miles away .. so hormones raked up miles!

Funny thing is as a young guy I want bigger and bigger and had a Hurricane 1000, Couple of Harleys, VTX 1800 and a few others. What I found now that I am older is I really like the lighter middleweight bikes and they are the ones I will use most because I can just hop on it and go. Road gets a little rough I can even stand on the pegs and muscle it and 5000 or so rpm on the highway at 72mph is just fine by me.

Now that I luxuriously don't give a sh!t about my cool factor and can ride just a fun bike I really enjoy the 650-750 range and not being the musclebound youth I was .. they are easy to jockey around.

I ride for recreation with the wife just about every weekend and funny thing is .. almost 40 yrs later a gs750 is now once again my sole means of regular transport for more mundane chores. I work from home so dont need to be out and about much but doctors appointments, store visits and the like are on bike.

To the OP .. If I wasnt riding the 750 I would probably get another modern triumph. Maybe its not you but the bike you are less enthralled with. The triumph was almost like a heavy dirt bike on the street and just a hoot.

robertbarr
08-08-2017, 05:30 PM
I'll be 61 soon. The first time I got stopped by the police was '68, so I was either eleven or twelve. I bought my '79 GS850 not long after they were introduced, which was a lucky break for me, since it was my only vehicle for several years in the military & college, and served me spectacularly well for seven years. Rode it half to death.

I'm down to two bikes -- a Goldwing for vacation & distance travel, and an '09 DL (V-Strom) which has injected a heavy new dose of enthusiasm into my motorcycling outlook. I've had the usual list of bikes, and I liked them all, but this Strom is almost a perfect fit, like it was designed just for me. Wheeling it out of the garage instantly puts a grin on my face.

I don't use motorcycles for errands anymore, but I like to get out on one or the other at least weekly for a few hundred miles.

I halfway decided that every other year I'd ride the BRP. I'd love to take the DL on it at least once, but I need to get from south of Chicago to around Maggie Valley first, and the GL is just perfect for covering that distance without draining my enthusiasm. It's also handy for getting me back home...

aclaytonb
08-09-2017, 01:12 PM
I'm 35 and I've been riding for about 10 years. I normally ride back and forth to work and/or TDY. I've been continuously selling newer bikes for older bikes for the past decade. I don't do much joy riding as I'm in mid-career and don't have much time for that business. If I can retire in about 7 years, I'll probably ride a lot more.

GSXR7ED
08-09-2017, 02:16 PM
The GSR in most every way is unlike any other motorcycle site. It's more like a fraternity than an internet site. heh There is also a blatant lack of squids, ricky racers, bling boys and poseurs here. LOL

Great summation Earl but they could be lurking without posting.

Ed

limeex2
08-15-2017, 08:30 AM
I'm 59 years old been riding since I was 10 on the neighbors mini bikes. Started riding on the street at 15 with my first bike, a blue Honda SL125. When a friend took me for a ride on Honda 76 CB750F, I was hooked on big bores and have been making or riding mod-stock sport bikes ever since.

As I age, I seem going more upright in my riding, but find my GL1800 nice, fun but really hard on my knees. Girl friend loves it. My current GS1100F (F as in Frankenbike!) Has a GS1000 seat, sport bars and modern suspension under it and even with rear sets, is very comfy. The ZRX1200 is very comfortable also, and my Sprint can just rack up as many miles as I have time for. Probably the nicest riding, most practical, but ugliest bike I owned was my Tiger1050. With bags,trunk and 6.5 inches of travel it handled and stopped like a sport bike that could carry more crap than my wing, and had as much legroom as a car. Made mince meat of our ugly Mn roads. Road it from Estes Park Co. to Stillwater Mn in 1 day. 998 miles. Doght I ever top that again...

81gs7501166
08-29-2017, 06:32 PM
Hear we go,I'm 59.
Rode my cousins Yamaha 60 when I was 12.
Had a 3.5 hp tec powered many bike at 13,[ started moding it after bout 6 months,
Different carb,and bypassed the govenor,it would do bout 50.
First real bike at 14, cl70 Honda bought new around 700$ for birthday.
Next a kawasaki 100 dirt bike.
First real bike I loved suzuki ts185 72 I believe,torque pipe,regear,stripped a all that lights stuff,plastic fenders,
Live 3 mile from lake rode from fall till spring on botoms,rode all neighbors farms,( I helped put up hay in summer for extra $s.]
Kept 2 years,rode he'll out of it,GREAT bike,like to have one now.
Got a ts250 at 16, wasn't impressed,185 wasn't much slower .
Bought a get kit from suzuki dealer,jug and pipe,woke the he'll of it up,kinda like a tm with some bottom.
Next was a 1980 pe250, another great bike, kept it 10 years.
First Street bike 83 gs550e, worked on a car for a a buddie,bike had benn wreccked,broken plastic was all,
Bike was payment,v and H pipe, dynojet carb kits, really woke it up, it would keep up with 8 valve 750.
Kept it bout 8 years, next was a 76cb750f from a work friend.
Still have it. Rebuilt 836,custom paint.
Next a 89 rmx250, GREAT MACHINE, pipe,rad valve,265 big bores, fatty pipe love it,its so much more bike than the pe.
Still have it,and it ant much less of a machine than the new stuff.
Redone a 74gt550,great machine,just sold it bout month ago to a friend,he loves It!
Had my gs750, 81, 1166 engine bout 18 years now.
Got a a Ozark 250 at, family machine.
Had a lt400z for a while,great machine.
I'm half owner of a a banshee with my 26 year old son.
Had a 77goldwing a while, not my cup of tea,sold it last year,
Got a Yamaha 360 dirt bike in barn to restore someday.
Got a xr350 ,on trade for the gt550, to work on this winter.
Daughter has a 125 Yamaha 4 stroke dirt bike, it's mine to.
6 year old son a suzuki 80 2stroke atv to repair this winter.
And I might have forgot Something?
Really like suzuki and Honda.
59 and still learning!

gustovh
09-06-2017, 11:15 AM
I'm 66, been riding since I was 10. My first bike was a Honda 90 trail.
I use my bikes for getting around, when I feel like putting on all the gear. Attending rally's and carving roads for the fun of it.

V

ryder60
09-06-2017, 05:47 PM
I first rode an Ariel 500 twin at 15 and 16 years old. A total piece of....... I was without a bike for different blocks of time but rode every chance I could. The second son gave me his old Honda CB550 for my 54th birthday and I've never been without something since. In my 60's I road raced an FZR400, a great bike for the track, and a CB550 I rebuilt for vintage racing. In between I have used the GS1000 on many a track day and thrown it down a good many times. I've taken it to the mid-west, all over western Canada, the Yukon and up to Inuvik in the Arctic. It simply never dies no matter how you abuse it but as I get older, 74 in a couple of months, it is getting heavier. But I have picked up some necessary parts and will bring it right up to standard, mechanically, this winter because I'm thinking a few longer trips next summer. Maybe down south to take in some race meets. It is very beaten up and looks like it's been treated badly. It has but the maintenance is always done. I do just about all work myself.

This year I simply rode for pleasure. Living in the middle of no-where I often just blasted down the highway 25 miles to the next town for an iced coffee or something and people watched in the evening. And for the first time I've begun to experience a numbness in my throttle wrist and forearm and cramping in a hip. I am apprehensive.

But what I'm developing an interest in is a c-90 or 110 just for jaunts around town or across the continent.

GS1000S
11-05-2017, 03:01 AM
1. I'm 64, started riding in my early teens so about 50 years ago. I bought my first bike a new 1972 Yamaha AT2 and have had at least one in my garage all but a year or two. 2. Motorcycling for me has always been about pleasure and leisure time. I rarely start one of mine unless I'm gone for 40+ miles. I've never ridden much in town as putting all the gear on for a few minutes and dragging out the bike and warming it up is a hassle. I think if I rode every day and used my bike as primary transportation it would take away for the anticipation and excitement when I do ride.

Grimly
12-08-2018, 10:34 PM
i'm 64, started out at aged 17 with a Vespa 150, followed by a 180SS, both of which provided many miles of travel all over Scotland with a bunch of mates who were similiarly inflicted with scooters, (Vespas and Lammies) and we had a great time.
After a smash, parental pressure persuaded me to leave off the two-wheeled adventure for a few years, but in 1981 I bought MZ250 commuter to simply get me to work and back. I loved that thing - while small, it had the heart of, if not a lion, at least something small and tenacious, like a Jack Russel.
I've had a bike or two on the road since, CBX550F Honda (went like shyt off a shovel thanks to some mods the PO did), a BMW R80RT (ex-polis) that I fitted R100 barrels, pistons, heads and carbs to. Fantastic difference.
Shortly after that, I got my first GS850, followed by another one, and those pair have stuck with me ever since.
Alone with those I acquired an XS650 at least ten years ago, but it took a decade to get around to sorting it out and it's not finished yet - it runs and stops pretty well, and everything works.
Couple year ago I got the XJ900F, which is great for doing higher speed blasts, and is currently in its second winter of being my daily driver, which is something I hadn't envisaged for it.

GS1150Pilot
12-10-2018, 11:39 AM
50 here now, riding to work 4 out of 5 days on the Bandit. Did a jaunt down to Tucson and back this weekend. I do get numbness in my throttle hand, but then, that's been an issue for quite some time. Changing hand positions alleviates it, as does a throttle rocker. Surprisingly, after an initial week of soreness due to riding a bunch again, I've been feeling great. The ride in and home is a great time to clear my head.

red1100
12-13-2018, 01:47 AM
Iím 67 been riding since 1971.A new 72 OSSA Pioneer 250. Currently have 44,000 on my 83GS 1100E and 15.000 mile 82 Yamaha Seca 750.About 10 bikes in between.Not sure how many miles a year but I wonít ride in bad weather,period.Living in the Northwest thatís the way it is. No fun. Suzuki and Yamaha have never been rained on. Retired from the phone company and can only ride when itís not raining or too cold.

GS1150Pilot
12-13-2018, 07:50 PM
There are two other guys at work who own bikes. One is 58 and just bought a brand new FJR, the other is 61 and just replaced his Valkyrie with a brand new Gold Wing. Both of those bikes provide boatloads more rider protection from the elements than the naked Bandit I ride. Both other guys, though, ride in about once every two to three weeks. When I asked them why so infrequently, they said "it's just too cold in the morning." We haven't had a morning below 45 degrees, have had very little rain, and the afternoon temps have been between 60 and 70 lately. I laugh at that fair weather distillation. Bad weather as in pouring rain, snow, etc., I get as a reason to drive, but a crisp morning ride is so wonderful to clear one's head, and 60 degrees on the way home is perfect.

1978GS750E
12-13-2018, 09:23 PM
I'm 60 and have been riding since I was 8 years old. Still working, so I only get about 20K miles a year on the 4 bikes that I own. I've found that I seem to be enjoying the wrenching on the bikes, during the colder months, more than getting all the cold-weather gear on to go for a ride. Still enjoy the 3-4 extended bike trips (1,000-2,500 mile) that I take every summer! I need to get the Suzuki out to one of the meets this year! Need to meet some of the great folks on this forum!

Alan Schlosser
12-25-2018, 02:30 PM
Almost 62. Mini bikes and such since we were around 12. First street bike was a Suzuki GT550 back in 1975. Currently own a 2008 Bandit 1250.

I ride mostly for fun. Day trips around 3-4 hours usually does the trick.

GS1150Pilot
12-25-2018, 07:41 PM
Almost 62. Mini bikes and such since we were around 12. First street bike was a Suzuki GT550 back in 1975. Currently own a 2008 Bandit 1250.

I ride mostly for fun. Day trips around 3-4 hours usually does the trick.

Utterly love my new to me Bandit 1200. I've never ridden a more comfortable bike, and the power is linear as it gets. That bike makes me want to ride all the time.

red1100
12-27-2018, 11:37 AM
I donít mind the clear and cold rides which are infrequent here. Mostly like today,overcast maybe 45,50 for a high and threatening rain. I do what I can. Gets harder to ride on these days.

GS1150Pilot
12-27-2018, 03:44 PM
Did 55 miles last night (forgot to take a pic). It is such a joy to ride this bike. It is so much better than the 1150 I had.

argonsagas
02-03-2019, 09:34 AM
Utterly love my new to me Bandit 1200. I've never ridden a more comfortable bike, and the power is linear as it gets. That bike makes me want to ride all the time.

I loved my first generation Bandit, too. The sole complaint I had with the bike was the seat. It was a like it or hate it thing with many riders. I liked it, even after a 750 mile ride, but it was not comfortable for pillion riders.
My wife was OK for short rides, but not more. She is much more comfortable on the replacement Bandit, the GSX1250FA.

KEITH KRAUSE
02-04-2019, 12:06 AM
I'm retired, so it's all pleasure. I'm 62. Been riding for 49 years. Dirt and street. My first bike was a gold '70 Yamaha 90 Enduro too.

Skinner
02-07-2019, 10:45 AM
52 next week. Riding since I was 17. My first was a 1983 Suzuki GS450L. Rode that into my early 20's and sold the bike. I didn't start riding again until 2014 when my uncle gave me his 1981 Suzuki GS650GL. I restored it and rode almost daily. I then found the bike of my dreams from when I was a 16 year old - a 1982 Suzuki GSX750S Katana. Restored it last winter and rode it almost daily. I also got my wife into motorcycling last year. She rides along with me on her 2015 Honda CBR300RA.

Cheers, and bring on spring!

OldVet66
04-22-2019, 09:38 AM
71 and still riding. I slacked off a good bit after my knee replacement about a year ago but I plan on making up for lost time since that is not a problem any more.

trevor
04-22-2019, 09:45 AM
I'm 60 and have been riding since I was 8 years old. Still working, so I only get about 20K miles a year on the 4 bikes that I own. I've found that I seem to be enjoying the wrenching on the bikes, during the colder months, more than getting all the cold-weather gear on to go for a ride. Still enjoy the 3-4 extended bike trips (1,000-2,500 mile) that I take every summer! I need to get the Suzuki out to one of the meets this year! Need to meet some of the great folks on this forum!

Sheesh 400 miles every week ain't bad considering you work full time.

prichmon
06-25-2019, 04:19 PM
#1 TOY every so often I ride.

#2 45.

Rob S.
06-28-2019, 12:11 PM
Sheesh 400 miles every week ain't bad considering you work full time.

Trevor, I managed that when I was less than half your age. If I came home from work in summer and it was still light out, I didn't know what to do with myself when my Z1 was getting a rebuild. I wanted to tear my hair out.

So I got some running shoes and made it up to 10k (at a slow pace). Or I rode around in my convertible Z28 Pace Car Replica. Nothing is like riding a motorcycle. Not even a Grateful Dead concert!

unfocused
07-14-2019, 01:27 PM
1) I try to use my bike as a DD. But I live in Florida and this doesn't always work. With the new to me GS750 waiting on repair parts I'll jump on the Sportster and ride it in and around St. Augustine and from Daytona Beach to Jacksonville. She's tired and getting noisy so I dont take her far from home (why I bought the GS). I am anticipating using the GS for longer in-state rides and then reaching out into the mountainous regions of the Carolina's/Tennessee as well as the Ozark Mountains.

1a) From June '12 to early '15 I only owned motorcycles and put close to 100,000 miles on 3 different scoots. I spent from '15 to '18 living the Jeep life. Dec ' 18 I've stepped back into the 2 wheeled world

1b) In June '12, I moved from Springfield, MO to northeast FL on a wing and a prayer. I brought my life with me on the back of my '88 FZR1000...

1c) One of my planned trips is the Auto Train from Sanford, FL to Lorton, VA and then either sight see back to St. Augustine or IBA my way back to the Keys LOL

1d) I have a backpack that doubles as a grocery bag... :-)

2) 51 years young and I've been riding since before I got my D.L. I know the 2 wheel life... and I love it !!!

limeex2
07-19-2019, 04:17 AM
Started riding mini bikes on dirt roads at 11. First bike was a Honda SL125 and endorsement was at 16. I'm 61. Ride as much as possible. Daily driver is a '15 Versys. Between all my bikes I probably put on 10k+ a year. In Mn. we get 6-7 months of riding. Non of my bikes are garage queens and I ride what ever my mood suits me. Just sold My 97 Triumph 900 Sprint to a good friend. Its my 3rd one and I've put over 100k on them. Highly recommended. I will probably be buried with one of them! My GS's keep me busy putzing in the garage and are a pure joy to ride with the modern updates

GS1150Pilot
07-19-2019, 11:30 AM
The Sportster has me riding more often than any bike in recent memory. I enjoy its ergonomics, the fuel injection and belt drive, and the feel of the bike as it goes down the road. I ride to work (50 miles round-trip) 3-4 days a week and we take 3-500 mile weekend trips once a month.

Griffin
07-19-2019, 01:41 PM
First motorized ride was a 1960's-era Sears & Roebuck mini-bike with a 3.5hp Briggs and Stratton engine. I started riding it when I was 8 years old. Looked like this:
https://i.pinimg.com/originals/01/4c/e5/014ce5a8988289ddceeea7a9998bc2b5.jpg

Next was a 1980 KDX175, which I bought with saved up hay-baling money when I was 13. I traded it in on a used, two year-old YZ490 when I was 16. By that time, I was also riding my uncle's 1979 GS1000E occasionally to get used to "heavy street bikes".

I bought a brand new red/white 1985 GS700E in the fall of 1984. My uncle loaned me $1,000 that I paid back by continuing to work on his farm. Total price out the door was about $2,900.

I still have that bike. I did a frame-off refurb of it from 2002-2005, when it became a blue/white GS700ES. Many here have seen it over the years at the Brown County and old KY Natural Bridge and WI Fennimore rallies.

To answer the OP's questions:

1. I use motorcycles purely for recreation. I wrench as much as ride, maybe even more.

2. I was born the summer of 1967.

bwringer
07-19-2019, 04:21 PM
1) I use motorcycles as my primary vehicles as long as it's not snowing too hard and what I need to haul will fit. Groceries, lumber, car parts, chainsaws, tires, welders, kitty litter, etc. My V-Strom with Givi hard bags gets most of the two wheeled pickup work, and if you take one or more of the bags off, you can strap some pretty unbelievable things to the racks. There are times I go a couple of weeks without driving.

My office is seven miles of city streets from my house. The one concession I have made in the last year or two is that I'll sometimes drive to work if it's actively raining when I leave. There's little reward in a ride to work, and when the risk rises with rain it's not really worth it. And almost every time I drive, I'll spend a few minutes that evening wondering where the hell I put my helmet and jacket... oh yeah.

Still, I think riding to work if you can is worthwhile; it keeps your skills fresh and active, and you stay in tune with your bikes and what they need. I feel odd if I'm off the bike a week. I don't know how people manage who only ride for infrequent big trips. Even if you can't commute, ride often and ride to all the ordinary places you need to go while doing ordinary things. It keeps you sharp.

I also make a point of parking out in front of my office. I used to park in back, but I think there's a certain value in demonstrating that motorcycles are normal, everyday vehicles. I've had cars broken into twice at my office, but no one has ever touched a motorcycle. It's fairly obvious there's nothing to steal, plus they're all far from pristine.

Same for grocery store, lumberyard, etc. I park in the lot, in a legal space. I refuse to be one of those douchebags who parks on a store's sidewalk like it's a bicycle. It's a tax-paying, road-going useful vehicle, not a bicycle or toy, and it gets a parking space.

By the same token, I made it a point when I was injured to ride to my orthopedic surgeon's appointments. Despite the "NO MOTORCYCLES" sign at the entrance to the parking garage, I never received the slightest bit of static or trouble. Never had any trouble at any place with a "NO MOTORCYCLES" sign, for that matter. What they really mean is "NO LOUD MOTORCYCLES".

2) I'm 51.

gsgeezer
08-07-2019, 06:21 PM
I turned 63 June 21 and still ride as much as I can, mostly on whatever bike I have found for sale at a decent price.

Started riding at twelve, before that rode mini bikes and go carts. (Rode horses from age four to 20; at least on a bike it is, usually, your fault if you fall off).

My dad was crazed that I never get a bike, but before I left home at seventeen, I already had a couple, that I bought with my own $$$.
(At sixteen, in 1929, my dad crashed a friends harley on a gravel road, the first and only time he ever rode.)

So far, I have ridden, through a number of states, mostly by myself, with no major crashes, knock on wood.)

My street bikes have ranged from a Honda 50 to a Ninja 1000. Though I have ridden friend's touring bikes, I have never had one.

bobgroger
08-07-2019, 08:24 PM
I turned 63 June 21 and still ride as much as I can, mostly on whatever bike I have found for sale at a decent price.

Started riding at twelve, before that rode mini bikes and go carts. (Rode horses from age four to 20; at least on a bike it is, usually, your fault if you fall off).

My dad was crazed that I never get a bike, but before I left home at seventeen, I already had a couple, that I bought with my own $$$.
(At sixteen, in 1929, my dad crashed a friends harley on a gravel road, the first and only time he ever rode.)

So far, I have ridden, through a number of states, mostly by myself, with no major crashes, knock on wood.)

My street bikes have ranged from a Honda 50 to a Ninja 1000. Though I have ridden friend's touring bikes, I have never had one.

A GS can be a pretty darn good touring bike. However, keep an eye out for a Kawasaki Concours. The earlier C10 ones can be had for as little as 500 bucks, to maybe 2500 for a darn nice one. The later C14 bikes, based on the Ninja ZX14, are starting around 4k. With a $300 flash, 152 rear wheel HP and mine will pull my GS1100e pretty badly. With bags on. Only downside is the 2+ day valve adjustment where the cams have to come out.... Mine is still waiting.

Chuck78
08-15-2019, 10:06 AM
I have two poll questions:

2) how old are you?

Scott

I live in a rather large (& RAPIDLY GROWING) Midwestern/Great Lakes capital city of Columbus, Ohio, so traffic is quite heavy during "rush hour" (afternoon rush "hour"=2+hours), as well as anytime/anywhere there is any road construction... + a half a million moron drivers, and equally as many bars and night life spots.... so I don't necessarily ride in the city heavily, although I do occasionally...and the GS750 8V with it's long duration camshafts just begs to be opened up at every stop&go, as they are very tame at low rpm's, and increasingly screaming monsters with every 1000rpm increase above 4,500rpm up to 10,000rpm+... Does not lend itself to respectable riding habits with certain types of pilots at the helm...

I also have had a company work truck/van for the past 15 years, so motorcycle commuting has not been a possibility. Before that, I was a bicycle mechanic and ALWAYS commuted on bicycle to work.

Living here, particularly centrally located just outside of downtown and near several major highways, puts me only 40 minutes or so from the edge of the glaciated plains bordering the beginnings of the Appalachian foothills... This lends itself to some INCREDIBLE riding terrain that can only be topped by serious mountain elevations and steep grades and 150-180 degree switchbacks... seriously some of the best types of roads terrain can be found within an hour or two of my house, & I have been a lifelong adrenaline junkie...
So most of my entire riding career, & looking ahead well beyond my current 41 years old, is seeking out remote rural twisty blacktop for an escape, thrills, freedom....

My motorcycles are primarily a source of escape from the city to the remote twisty rollercoaster roads in the desolate Appalachian foothills & Appalachian/Allegheny/Smoky/etc mountains throughout Southeastern/central-Eastern Ohio, the entire state of West Virginia (esp.the Northeastern Panhandle area), the western edges of Virginia bordering with West Virginia, Eastern Tennessee, Western North Carolina...
As well as future trips across the abyss, err...I mean, Great Plains (boring) until I hit the Colorado Rockies to visit some old friends there and the mountains outside of Albuquerque NM...
I seek out twisty roads as if it were a severe additction... (well, it pretty much IS!)

From the very 1st time I was on 2 wheels on my own, I'll NEVER forget...that 1st time @ 4 yrs old when my dad let go of the seat of the bicycle after coaching me for the 1st time without training wheels... I was literally bombing down a small grassy hill in our backyard within a half hour!
The thrill of being on 2 wheels never faded. By 14, I had picked up BMX stunt riding, well into my 20's heavily (until some hospital visits which I remember very little of!). I still ride a cyclocross/road commuter bike heavily, and occasional BMX and mountain biking at 41yrs old...
By 25 I was severely lusting after '69-78 CB750's and other classic Japanese bikes. Almost bought a cafe'd out Royal Enfield 750cc Intercepter for $1100-ish spur of the moment at 26 or 27.
Then soon was severely lusting after a GS400 with a GS450-500 engine, GS1100E swingarm, Kawasaki hubs and wider 18" DID rims and dual disc Kawasaki KZ fork... a non-running project race bike never completed by somewhat of a local legend.
Raised by a mechanic father, I fortunately started wrenching on a tough & wild young 23 yr old lady's 2nd bike, a total basketcase 77 GS550B... This bike made a lot of sense to me, (& altho she bewildered me at times, she also made a lot of sense to me!), & the GS had the best bones of any that I had explored to date. Soon I had a 77 Suzuki GS750B for $700, running, titled, needed carbs cleaned and re-jetted for the MAC 4-into-1, + tires... & the young lady was by my side on and off for the rest of my life to date, married within 3 yrs! The rest was history! I quickly was exceeding the limits of the 1st gen GS single 295mm front brake's old school caliper, and finding the ragged edges of the limits of the tires and suspension...

I gave up musclecars 100% (except for wrenching with my dad on his, and my '71 RS/SS396 Camaro that I sold him), as bikes are far faster, (Japanese bikes are...) far cheaper, and far more fun than speeding on 4 wheels! Got an old '62 GMC panel truck (work/utility/delivery version of a Chevy Suburban), a VW Rabbit turbodiesel mini pickup truck (46mpg!), and now a Suzuki Samurai 4x4 + Toyota drivetrain & soon VW turbodiesel engine... heavy utility purposes only for the 4 wheeled machines...

The last 4+ years I finally caved in to coworkers' persistent nagging and my younger brother's dirt biking, and got myself a 2 stroke Kawasaki KDX trail bike...within 4 minutes of my first trail ride at Wayne National Forest OHV trails, I WAS FOREVER HOOKED...2 stroke dirtbikes...lightweight, nimble, rowdy as can be (they don't like to putz around & go slow, they ONLY LIKE TO ACCELLERATE!)... 40mph in the woods feels like 100mph down a crowded urban street... what a thrill! I recommend enduro trail riding to anyone who has a thirst for speed... the speed is much lower than what it takes to get kicks on a street bike, so the risk is less although crashes are a very regular thing, but you are generally always very geared up, and most crashes are low speed drops on rugged/steep terrain...If you're not a pro and you never crash in the woods, you aren't pushing it & having as much fun as the rest of us, or aren't riding the best stuff in the hills/ravines/mountains!
I HIGHLY recommend trail riding on a 190-270lb(max, small cc 4 stroke territory) bike for anyone who has any decent riding areas near them. We drive an hour to get to the free State Forest trails or the $35/yr National Forest trails. WELL WORTH the drive for the 5 or 7 hours of exhausting fun... I highly recommend a 2 stroke enduro (non-motocross) bike like a Suzuki PE175250/400 or 90's RMX250, Kawasaki KDX175 or 86+ KDX200/220 / 1990's KDX250 (like the RMX - a big slug but can REALLY be livened up with re-jetting, thinner head gasket, exh.pipe, re-valved susp.), Yamaha IT175/200/250, late 90's-early '00's KTM EX-C 200/250 or the newer XC-W 200/250/300 or same models in Husqvarna badging, Yamaha YZ250 MX bike converted to a woods bike with a heavier flywheel, woods exhaust (torque), and re-valved suspension, or any moder Euro 2 stroke like GAS GAS, Beta, Ossa, etc...

& now I have trouble counting the amount of motorcycles and dirtbikes I have, or could "assemble" out of parts and spare titled frames...
pallet racking with approximately 17 spare Suzuki GS engines - a few of the 17 are Suzuki PE250 dirtbike engines, and a Kawasaki KDX200/220 spare...
an 8V chain drive GS of every size range starting at GS400/425(489cc soon!), GS550's(673cc, & 740cc in progress), GS750's, GS1000, Rickman CR frame with GS1100 engine mounts and 2 spare GS1000 engines... 77 PE250B enduro dirtbike, 74 Rickman 250cc dirtbike, Kawasaki KDX220 utility trail basher&thrasher...

metalfab
09-04-2019, 02:49 AM
I'm 60 now, I got a Rockford "Tora" when I was about 10. It was a 60cc two stroke enduro. I next got a TM125, a TS400. Then a Honda 750-4, Kaw H2 two stroke 750 triple, and then Z1. I had an RD400 sweet little bike. In the early 80's I got an 80 GS1100E and I have been riding GS1100E's every since. There were a lot more bikes along the way, I repaired, and rebuilt a lot of bikes and sold them. I have a 3 four wheelers my favorite is 4WD 400cc 2 stroke Polaris sportsman, it's great. I don't use bikes for everyday transport, I think my psyche wants to never make a bike mundane. Riding to me is always a treat, and the new has never worn off of riding. I hope it never does.

Chuck78
09-04-2019, 09:15 AM
I expect so. The GSR in most every way is unlike any other motorcycle site. It's more like a fraternity than an internet site. heh There is also a blatant lack of squids, ricky racers, bling boys and poseurs here. LOL

I get what you're saying exactly, although calling it a fraternity has other implications that imply exactly what you were saying it was not! A bunch of immature young squids getting rowdy and being belligerent, & behaving in a very unethical manner at the expense of others... And then participating in charitable activities on the other end of the spectrum to balance out their rowdiness... I've been around far too many fraternity boys, having spent the last 20 years living within 1 to 10 miles of the largest college campus in the United States. "Beware of the white hats" was the general sentiment amongst those of us who were tired of witnessing their debauchery

Chuck78
09-04-2019, 09:40 AM
The older I get, the newer and faster my bikes get.

Danger!
After shattering my kneecap and having a miserable recovery time, and being into my forties now, I decided I really should put a cap on the fast bike thing. A fairly stock 8-valve gs750 goes plenty fast enough for me, although I do desire a little bit more at times, it is very much faster than anyone needs to reasonably travel, but I cannot resist!
Fellow GSR member Norm jokingly said when I was quizzing people about what engine I should put in this old school Rickman race chassis, that I should put a Honda CB200 engine into the chassis formerly occupied by a Kawasaki Z1 engine & prepped for a GS1100E engine, "that way everyone has a chance to catch up to you in the twisties" he said!

Having a little extra low-rpm torque would be nice, as the early 400, 550, & 750 had high duration high RPM camshafts, where the 650, 850, and 1000 had cams that were a little more street friendly with slightly lesser duration. The high rpm longer duration cams translate into the 2 stroke syndrome - "I just can't help it, the bike just wants to go fast!" They begged to be revved up higher into the RPM range and be ridden more rowdy, as they aren't terribly satisfying at 3000 or 4000 RPM...

A long time ago I came to the realization of what makes a very fast bike. I deemed the approximate 100 horsepower mark as an EXTREMELY fast bike on anything that is lighter than the average Harley-Davidson clunker.
Last night a gentleman with more a significant amount of more seniority on this Earth than myself, jokingly was whining about how he was going from a 150 or 160 horsepower bike and stepping down to a bike with only 125 horsepower...
I suppose the older guys that are doing sport touring really need that extra power, but I thought to myself, wow, 100 horsepower is an immense amount of power and speed capability on a two-wheeled machine, someone of that demographic I had trouble grasping the need for that much power I very seldom see anyone rocketing around like a twenty-year-old squid on a bike typically owned by those with a few more decades seniority than myself...

I still can't help but twist that throttle a lot, drag racing onto the highway every time I am on an entrance ramp, and no holds barred on the remote twisty roads in the Appalachian hills and mountains...
It doesn't take 100 HP to ride fast!

I have several GS1000 engines here, and one GS1000, and the Rickman road racer and a GS1000 and a stroker crank and a spare stock stroke welded crankshaft and a bunch of 1100G D-port top ends...+ Yoshimura cams + Keihin CR33 smoothbores...
I will probably build an 1120cc stroker at some point just because I have the parts, but at this point, I would probably not have gone out of my way to purchase all of this stuff with my current mindset... Which is referencing my mortality and fading youthfulness and the associated rapid healing characteristics that come with it. Even before my fall and knee surgery, I had been more of the mindset of building a very light vintage red racer type lightweight / middleweight Suzuki GS, and trying to squeeze the most power and efficiency out of a 550 / 650 and a 400 / 425 engine... But still that would mean a high revving beastly little powerhouse that wants to be ridden fast!

I think an 8v 77-79 GS750B/C/N/E with a Wiseco K844 kit, good tires, & a brake upgrade is an absolute superb all around bike... 96cc extra over stock brings more street torque to the plate...
Although a 67mm 11:1 798cc GS750 is appealing, as the smaller pistons are a bit lighter weight and really like to spin up fast...the 77-81(82?) 8v 550's are a pretty superb bike even, after a 4-1 & K&N air filter swap & re-jetting.... GS650E (& for shafty fans, the 650G) in my opinion is one of the best all-rounder vintage bikes ever built,a potent and efficient modern piston/combustion chamber/intake runner top end design, in a more compact slightly lighter package...+dual twinpot discs... I'm building 2 77-79 550's with these top ends and adding a missing brace to the spine of the frames that the 750 got but the 400/425 & 550 did not get, as I love the 77-79 GS stylings (seat and tail) the most vs the 650's & 1000's etc

I suppose one of the less obvious sidestepped answers to my question posed above as to why people need bikes with such high horsepower, would be that perhaps some people can resist the urge to twist the throttle more than myself!

Enough ramblings for now, on to the post I would have liked/hearted if the forum had that option!

dorkburger
09-04-2019, 12:35 PM
Dang Chuck..... hope you're well now.
Understood about slowing down a bit. A couple of weeks ago I ended up at the ER after falling off of my..... mountain bike. More of a precautionary move, but I still had a concussion, bruised ribs, and a bit of roadrash - nothing life changing, but a wake up call to start wearing a helmet on the human powered two wheeler.

Regarding motos.... In my 27 years of riding street, I've watched in awe the progression of performance machines. Awe in the sheer performance, and awe in the fact that my big heavy 1150 still has more then enough power to make me giggle when unleashed, and that another 50 or 60 HP coupled with a lighter machine must be insane. I dont ride at the level that you do, and the 1150 really is enough for me - great for the occasional stop light romp and plenty of power for merging / passing cars on the highway in idiot avoidance fashion. Future longer plans would include upgrading the brakes / suspension, but power is more then adequate .

As a fellow HVAC guy I feel your pain about being chained to the company van, but it does allow us to get by with one family car.

storm 64
09-04-2019, 02:15 PM
I love horsepower... The FJR makes around 140hp. When on the highway, all I have to do is think about passing a truck and I'm already by it! On the other hand, the Harley I've been riding. You have to fill out a requisition form, get it approved, make sure you have a tailwind, then with all its might go for the pass! Then hope the trucker doesn't want to race, because if he does, you are going to lose! haha😉

Philski
09-08-2019, 09:14 AM
51 years old, 8 bikes atm with various levels of oomph. I got into road bikes after hearing a couple of bikes (Ducati 900ss) street racing in about 1979 or so. The sound made every hair on my body stand up. And is one of the reasons i love bikes so much today.

Rob S.
09-08-2019, 09:31 AM
I got into road bikes after hearing a couple of bikes (Ducati 900ss) street racing in about 1979 or so. The sound made every hair on my body stand up. And is one of the reasons i love bikes so much today.
I hear that 100%, only in my case it was and is large in line fours with 4-into-1 pipes.

prichmon
09-09-2019, 03:48 PM
Hey chuck. Clear your inbox. or send me an IM please.

Thanks Rich

wyly
11-24-2019, 05:49 PM
soon to be 67 first bike was 50yrs ago, a Solex!

I love the rush of brutal acceleration and liter bikes provide that. Riding wfo at red line living doesn't much appeal to me. I've been there only twice in 40yrs, 1st time just to see just how fast my 79 CBX would go, and the last time a year ago to see if it was still up to it, it was.

I prefer liter bikes because of the midrange torque they can provide. My latest project is coaxing an extra 15hp from my GS1150ef, if I accept factory crank measurements as accurate that should put me about 140hp. More than enough for me. There's nothing more confidence inspiring than effortless overtaking on a two lane highway with just a twist of the wrist.

Next addition to my stable may be a '74 Yamaha 250RD, small and quick(even quicker if I put 350cc jugs on it). Riding a urban small displacement bike at it's max also has a fun factor. It should be able to do the ton but that's not the goal.

I ride as often as I can making up for years when I couldn't(family stuff). When the weather is good I ride everyday 10c and up for my CBX and a bit cooler with my GS1150 since I put on hand warmers.

GS1150Pilot
11-24-2019, 07:59 PM
At some point I will probably do a 1275 kit in the Sportster, but with its current modifications and tuning, it is a perfect bike in town or on the highway.

Fireball
12-03-2019, 08:03 PM
Hi all,

So I have two poll questions:

2) how old are you?

Scott

Iím 42, started riding when I was 21. Took a hiatus that coincided with alcoholism until about 8 years ago. Got sober, got a bike again.
I ride whenever I can. I like to commute on my bike. I donít ride as much in the cold. If itís raining Iíll take the car. Not that I donít ride in the rain, I just try not to start trips when itís raining. If it decides to pour after the trip is started, oh well, Iíll switch to granny mode and take it easy. Something I have started doing here in the past year is I no longer ride in Atlanta if at all possible. Traffic and distracted drivers have gotten so bad I view it as a needless risk. Especially because here in GA lane splitting is illegal and sitting in traffic just waiting on the twit behind you who is watching YouTube to rear end you is not fun!!!

B17
12-18-2019, 07:10 PM
Have just found an immaculate GS750 to replace my blue 750 I got new in 1979. Unfortunately left it in the middle East after touring UK, Europe and middle East where I was working at the time.

The GS750 adds to my GSX1400 and DL650xt. Have ridden motorcycles continuously since getting my licence in 1969 with more being Suzuki than everything else. Since retiring seem to average about 35000 klm yearly.

gwad19709
05-04-2020, 05:42 PM
soon to be 67 first bike was 50yrs ago, a Solex!

I love the rush of brutal acceleration and liter bikes provide that. Riding wfo at red line living doesn't much appeal to me. I've been there only twice in 40yrs, 1st time just to see just how fast my 79 CBX would go, and the last time a year ago to see if it was still up to it, it was.

I prefer liter bikes because of the midrange torque they can provide. My latest project is coaxing an extra 15hp from my GS1150ef, if I accept factory crank measurements as accurate that should put me about 140hp. More than enough for me. There's nothing more confidence inspiring than effortless overtaking on a two lane highway with just a twist of the wrist.

Next addition to my stable may be a '74 Yamaha 250RD, small and quick(even quicker if I put 350cc jugs on it). Riding a urban small displacement bike at it's max also has a fun factor. It should be able to do the ton but that's not the goal.

I ride as often as I can making up for years when I couldn't(family stuff). When the weather is good I ride everyday 10c and up for my CBX and a bit cooler with my GS1150 since I put on hand warmers. CBX My dream bike!!

Noreg
05-08-2020, 09:14 PM
I am 29, and my main purpose of the bike is recreational riding. Going to places, eating and looking at things. I have only had my bike since december, and only a few weeks without snow. I have done one trip to the store though (on the way back from a ride).

Since I live somwhere I can only ride from end of april until oktober/november, I can't use a bike as a primary mode of transportation. My work (as a driving instructor) gives me a company car, so I don't have to drive to work (I work in the car, so I drive directly to the students). But for visiting my grandparents or going to explore I love the bike.

My wife is also uncomfortable about bikes, so she won't be joing me on the bike for rides, which somewhat limits me. I am also currently trapped between a closed border to Sweden, a mountain towards the south (conceivably a 5 hour detour along the coast could avoid that, but lots of ferries) and ice/snow on the roads towards the north.

I would really like to go on a bike vacation to like the Balkans (I like Bosnia, Serbia and Macedonia). Its such tiny countries, so nice to visit, and quick to see a ton of countries.

Rob S.
05-08-2020, 09:57 PM
I love the rush of brutal acceleration and liter bikes provide that...if I accept factory crank measurements as accurate...

I can relate to so much of what you wrote. Of course, crank HP is not rear wheel horsepower, and factory "measurements" are really just claims. Optimistic would be a very kind way to describe them. The owner's manual of my 1973 Z1 Kawasaki claimed "standing start 1/4 mile - 12.0 seconds." Reality was 12.6 on a good day.

I've never ridden Honda's famous six, but I'll never forget seeing/hearing one with 6-into-6 open headers. On the street. :)

GS1150Pilot
05-08-2020, 10:32 PM
I am 29, and my main purpose of the bike is recreational riding. Going to places, eating and looking at things. I have only had my bike since december, and only a few weeks without snow. I have done one trip to the store though (on the way back from a ride).

Since I live somwhere I can only ride from end of april until oktober/november, I can't use a bike as a primary mode of transportation. My work (as a driving instructor) gives me a company car, so I don't have to drive to work (I work in the car, so I drive directly to the students). But for visiting my grandparents or going to explore I love the bike.

My wife is also uncomfortable about bikes, so she won't be joing me on the bike for rides, which somewhat limits me. I am also currently trapped between a closed border to Sweden, a mountain towards the south (conceivably a 5 hour detour along the coast could avoid that, but lots of ferries) and ice/snow on the roads towards the north.

I would really like to go on a bike vacation to like the Balkans (I like Bosnia, Serbia and Macedonia). Its such tiny countries, so nice to visit, and quick to see a ton of countries.

My father was from Hungary, so we visit Hungary every few years. In 2004, my younger sister and I took our bicycles, flew into Vienna, then rode from Austria to Hungary (stopping in Slovakia along the way). It was an amazing trip.

Noreg
05-09-2020, 09:11 AM
My father was from Hungary, so we visit Hungary every few years. In 2004, my younger sister and I took our bicycles, flew into Vienna, then rode from Austria to Hungary (stopping in Slovakia along the way). It was an amazing trip.

I would love a good ruin pub now. I spent a few days in Budapest in 2015. Was nice.

GS1150Pilot
05-09-2020, 09:25 AM
I hate how it has fallen politically, but I do love that country.

93Bandit
05-11-2020, 03:23 PM
2) how old are you?

1. I use my 850L for pleasure, my work commute, and to run errands. Anytime the weather permits and I don't have to carry lots of stuff with me, I will ride. I've never ventured further than 100 miles or so at a time, since I've been slowly catching it up on neglected maintenance from previous owners. It's getting close to being ready for a road trip though! Only a few main things left on the list, then I'd trust it to go anywhere.

2. I'll be 26 in July.

wyly
02-08-2021, 10:46 PM
I can relate to so much of what you wrote. Of course, crank HP is not rear wheel horsepower, and factory "measurements" are really just claims. Optimistic would be a very kind way to describe them. The owner's manual of my 1973 Z1 Kawasaki claimed "standing start 1/4 mile - 12.0 seconds." Reality was 12.6 on a good day.

I've never ridden Honda's famous six, but I'll never forget seeing/hearing one with 6-into-6 open headers. On the street. :)
factory 1/4 mile items claims are likely legit but you need to keep in mind it was set at sea level at optimum conditions with an expert rider.

The honda six when dialed in is unbelievably smooth I never tire of it. Easy revving, steady acceleration, six into six pipes drowning out any sensible thoughts in my head to back off. I love my 84 GSX1150e equally it's just different, the torque is addictive( even more once I have a big bore kit). It's like having two kids you love them both but they're very different.

Rob S.
02-08-2021, 11:25 PM
The honda six when dialed in is unbelievably smooth...

Talking about the BMW, Cycle World said that the in line six might be the perfect configuration for a bike engine: it was so naturally smooth that it needed no balancers.

oldGSfan
02-09-2021, 12:19 AM
Six cylinders on a motorcycle just seems like too much. Now by too much, of course I mean perfect, unless you're Allen Milyard and it's only half as much as you need.

I always thought the Guzzi layout made a lot of sense for an air cooled bike. I had a BMW R75/5 and R51/2 and always worried about those big jugs hanging down haha. Guzzi just seemed to solve that 'problem' nicely. Another favorite engine - I took a spin on a Tiger 955i triple about 15 years back, when I had my '82 GPz1100. Similar grunt and power, and I really liked it except it was styled like a lozenge. I found it interesting how they really felt the same through the revs.

1) I'm 59
2) I crawl like a viper through these suburban streets

Talking about the BMW, Cycle World said that the in line six might be the perfect configuration for a bike engine: it was so naturally smooth that it needed no balancers.

GS1150Pilot
02-09-2021, 10:25 AM
That's interesting. I've only ridden a couple of Triumph triples, but they felt quite different from I4s.

Rob S.
02-09-2021, 12:29 PM
Six cylinders on a motorcycle just seems like too much. Now by too much, of course I mean perfect...

2) I crawl like a viper through these suburban streets

When I was a teenager, I was slightly intimidated by the girth of the CB750...how much the left side of the engine extended out.

Searching for some prey to sink those turbo fangs into. Sorry, that's Mister Turbo.

Maddevill
02-09-2021, 01:49 PM
I'm 63, been riding since I was 20. This is the first year I had to put the bikes up for the winter. We moved to the mountains and have snow here. It sucks. It seemed that almost every year I was riding more. I had a regular group ride that I led. I also was teaching new riders how to improve. I cannot wait until spring. I'm also starting my very first season of Supermoto racing this coming year.

Mad

wyly
02-09-2021, 02:32 PM
When it was new it was so smooth with the oem pipes and helmet on you got no sense that it was running. Sometimes I'd forget I'd already started it and hit the start button again, I learned to check the tach first after that. 43 years later it's considerably noisier but still silky smooth.

wyly
02-09-2021, 02:34 PM
When I was a teenager, I was slightly intimidated by the girth of the CB750...how much the left side of the engine extended out.

Searching for some prey to sink those turbo fangs into. Sorry, that's Mister Turbo.
I hear that a lot about the cbx but it's an illusion, it's only 3/4' wider than my GSX1150

GS1150Pilot
02-09-2021, 03:22 PM
To me, the CBx is the single most desirable Japanese motorcycle ever made.

Rob S.
02-09-2021, 03:46 PM
To me, the CBx is the single most desirable Japanese motorcycle ever made.

See, if that bike were in my living room, I wouldn't get much TV watching accomplished. And if anyone ever tried to cover up that engine in the name of aerodynamics, they'd see how aerodynamic my foot was going up their rear.

wyly
02-10-2021, 01:20 PM
See, if that bike were in my living room, I wouldn't get much TV watching accomplished. And if anyone ever tried to cover up that engine in the name of aerodynamics, they'd see how aerodynamic my foot was going up their rear.I met a another owner when I was out on mine in 2019. His father had passed and he had inherited a mint '79 that his father had on display in his basement for the past 25-30 years. He asked if I was interested in buying it for $10k(hell ya) he gave me his phone number which I immediately lost:(. I could've doubled my money in a week, if not a lot more if I spent the time to market it properly. I'd heard a local rumour years earlier of someone having a mint '79 on display in his home but thought it was just a myth.

rphillips
03-05-2021, 05:10 PM
Yep CBX, very sought after & high dollar vintage bikes, no wonder. I've always thought the "79" red & black CBX is one of the, or is the, prettiest bike ever put in a showroom & engineering ahead of all the others. Hard to explain how the CBX could be this big & massive while appearing so sleek & sporty, those descriptions just don't go together. For me, they were "OK" for most anything but I don't remember anything they were the best at other than looks & the intimidating sound of a CBX with an open 6 into 1 exhaust, sure sounded fast.

GS1150Pilot
03-06-2021, 12:21 PM
The smoothness of the acceleration, the amazing aesthetics of the motor, and that incredible sound, all come together to make the CBx a pinnacle. There is no other Japanese bike I find more desirable.

wyly
03-18-2021, 09:18 PM
Yep CBX, very sought after & high dollar vintage bikes, no wonder. I've always thought the "79" red & black CBX is one of the, or is the, prettiest bike ever put in a showroom & engineering ahead of all the others. Hard to explain how the CBX could be this big & massive while appearing so sleek & sporty, those descriptions just don't go together. For me, they were "OK" for most anything but I don't remember anything they were the best at other than looks & the intimidating sound of a CBX with an open 6 into 1 exhaust, sure sounded fast.Likely the most valuable and collectible if you could one is a Black '79 only sold in Germany. I've never seen one but have had other cbx owners who have confirm it's not a myth. Some of the prices being paid in overseas markets for the six are staggering.
Back in the late 70's bike superiority was fleeting, whenever one of the manufacturers came with the newest best in class it was overtaken by another very quickly. In '79 the CBX was the fastest production bike made, 11.36 in the 1/4. The next year Honda voluntarily reduced the CBX's power by 5hp and Suzuki GS1100 became the new King.

KEITH KRAUSE
03-19-2021, 10:25 PM
Likely the most valuable and collectible if you could one is a Black '79 only sold in Germany. I've never seen one but have had other cbx owners who have confirm it's not a myth. Some of the prices being paid in overseas markets for the six are staggering.
Back in the late 70's bike superiority was fleeting, whenever one of the manufacturers came with the newest best in class it was overtaken by another very quickly. In '79 the CBX was the fastest production bike made, 11.36 in the 1/4. The next year Honda voluntarily reduced the CBX's power by 5hp and Suzuki GS1100 became the new King.
Interesting that a manufacturer would voluntarily reduce a bikes power and allow a competitor to take the "fastest bike" crown. I wonder if the 5HP was the difference or if Suzuki had it locked up regardless?

GS1150Pilot
03-20-2021, 02:24 PM
Retrospectively, the CBx is one of the most memorable Japanese bikes ever made. Its cool factor is untouchable. If I owned one, it would be out on the street every week.

Baatfam
03-20-2021, 02:29 PM
Retrospectively, the CBx is one of the most memorable Japanese bikes ever made. Its cool factor is untouchable.

Ehhhhhhh.....it's OK.....Never thought about 'em much....

GS1150Pilot
03-20-2021, 02:37 PM
Ehhhhhhh.....it's OK.....Never thought about 'em much....

LOL. Lifts rock.

Baatfam
03-20-2021, 02:44 PM
LOL. Lifts rock.
Hahaha....

Never paid much attention to any Japanese street bike until the early 2000s.
Dirt bikes, dual sports, and English sports cars, than Harleys, and finally my GS drag bike.
I did have a CB200 for a while...got it from my sister...

First time I heard of a CBX was here, because of member CBXChris....before that...nada...:)

The only Honda I ever wanted was an Elsinore...
Otherwise...
Hondas equaled boring relability. But hey, that's good for eco cars and lawn mowers....:cool:

Baatfam
03-20-2021, 02:48 PM
I could add, that I have looked at them in detail since, and really think...OK.

Seriously, the '82/83 GS1100E is one of the best looking bikes ever....far ahead of the CBX.

GS1150Pilot
03-20-2021, 02:51 PM
My brother's first street bike was the '82 CB900f I have in slow disassembly for restomodding, but by the time he bought it, I had been working at a Honda (automotive) garage whose owner had a CBx with headers, jetted right. Nothing I had ever seen on two wheels had such visual or aural appeal. I only rode one CBx, but it was a beautiful bike, and really is about the only Japanese street bike I still want.

https://www.motorcyclistonline.com/resizer/y2P2pKhpbxXeAHpFIL-ebYscvtQ=/857x584/arc-anglerfish-arc2-prod-bonnier.s3.amazonaws.com/public/7WG22JMHBMCDKZQZPWBI6VDPWE.jpg

GS1150Pilot
03-20-2021, 02:53 PM
I think the CBx is much more visually and viscerally appealing than the GS, but the GS1100E was pretty.

Baatfam
03-20-2021, 03:03 PM
I think the CBx is much more visually and viscerally appealing than the GS, but the GS1100E was pretty.
It really goes back to our youth. What we saw, what we read, who we hung with, what we actually got to drive/ride...

That's not a bad thing, at least for me...

I do have a Honda...One of the most popular and most recognizable ones ever made...
And I like it, because I had one when I was 15 years old...
https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/800x600q90/921/jzHL8d.jpg (https://imageshack.com/i/pljzHL8dj)

GS1150Pilot
03-20-2021, 04:45 PM
I totally agree. I started out on these at 12, and had a 125 and eventually a 490 afterward. I've had a good number of Yamahas and Kawasakis. Fewer Hondas and Suzukis, but the Hondas' aesthetics always rang my bells (I still think the VF1000R I had is one of the prettiest fully faired bikes ever made, and I do love the CB900f a whole bunch-other than the wheels).

https://thumpertalk.com/applications/core/interface/imageproxy/imageproxy.php?img=http://i905.photobucket.com/albums/ac256/spidersp1800/DSC_0934.jpg&key=71bcb932f8bf1dae39f243aa1e82259441bf7c8533757b 3ca10d66dd5b34a962

wyly
04-28-2021, 10:06 PM
Interesting that a manufacturer would voluntarily reduce a bikes power and allow a competitor to take the "fastest bike" crown. I wonder if the 5HP was the difference or if Suzuki had it locked up regardless?

At the time there was discussion of limiting motorcycles in Europe to 100hp, countries thought anything over 100hp was excessive and dangerous and implied they would be prohibited. France followed up on it the rest of europe did not, Honda not wanting lose market share had already reduced the CBX by 5hp for 1980.

Suzuki never reached 100 until the twin cam 1100 arrived in 1981, by then Honda transformed the CBX into a sport tourer. The 1/4 mile and zero-60 differences between the GS1100 and the '79 CBX came down to rider skill. Honda had also shifted it's direction.

earlfor
05-28-2021, 10:36 PM
Anyone notice this poll is from four years ago? heh

argonsagas
06-29-2021, 02:24 PM
Anyone notice this poll is from four years ago? heh

I support entropy for all.

Me, too. But occasionally I like to ster the poll.

Rich82GS750TZ
06-29-2021, 03:43 PM
1) how do you use your bike mainly? Mostly just for fun, occasional commuter (it's only 5 miles to work)
2) how old are you? 50

Got my first bike for my 12th birthday, a very used 1972 Yamaha DT 250 Trials. Pic not my actual bike but exactly the same, and is in much better shape that my beater. I learned to ride and crash (a lot) on this bike.
https://i.imgur.com/jIdT3ywl.jpg

Sold the bike and got my first 3-wheeler at age 13 or 14. Yamaha Tri-Moto 200. Paid for w/ paper-route money. No rear suspension, fun times. Me in pic (not very smart, no helmet):
https://i.imgur.com/xgbQLOkl.jpg

Sold that a couple years later and w/ more paper-route money bought a 1986 Brand New Honda 200X. Also me in pic.
https://i.imgur.com/sAg8rLBl.jpg

Went away to college in Boston, and sold the 200X. Had a long break from riding in the 12 yrs I lived there. A buddy and I did take the MSF course at Hanscom AFB, but at that time, licence endorsement was not part of the deal. So I didn't ride again until I moved back to central PA in 2002, took the MSF here and got my M stamp, and my Brother-In-Law gave me an early '80s Honda CB125. Looked something like this:
https://i.imgur.com/PqmQbM3l.jpg

Around 2004, a friend really needed this non-running 1982 GS750T gone from his property, so gave it to me. This is the only pic I have of the bike in the state in which I received it:
https://i.imgur.com/zwTmJgIl.jpg

Today, its a real runner, and I think it's looking pretty swell, with a giant thanks to all the help I've gotten from the terrific folks here on the GSR!:
https://i.imgur.com/c9rmPyYh.jpg

Eli69
06-29-2021, 04:00 PM
The wheelie pic at age 14 is awesome. I couldn't even wheelie my bicycle then (or now).

Rich82GS750TZ
06-29-2021, 04:03 PM
hehe, I still can't wheelie a bicycle well, never got the knack for it. But on a trike, it's almost impossible to not wheelie.;)

oldGSfan
06-29-2021, 04:05 PM
Nice Scout in background too.

Rich82GS750TZ
06-29-2021, 04:25 PM
Really wish I still had the 1976 Scout Traveler. That was the vehicle I learned to drive in/ took my test in/partied in/drive anywhere in.

Big Block
07-01-2021, 07:29 PM
My first ride. Apparently I haven't learned anything since 1973. Yes I rode when the snow was still on the ground and into November.

wyly
07-25-2021, 12:47 AM
Really wish I still had the 1976 Scout Traveler. That was the vehicle I learned to drive in/ took my test in/partied in/drive anywhere in.

sold my Scout II for $400, now a runner will cost 15K and up, waaay up. Who would've guessed they'd become so collectible.

GS1150Pilot
07-25-2021, 08:56 AM
I so understand. I sold my last Mini Cooper for 1/3 of what they go for now, and Minis are still my favorite cars of all time.