Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Restoring 1982 GS1100G, are parts available???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Restoring 1982 GS1100G, are parts available???

Hi, name's Chris

I've let an '82 GS1100G sit for six years, somewhat empty (ugh) - and fully drained for two years - and it's PAST time to bring it back to service.

Doesn't run presently, but will turn over.

I live on the Eastern Shore of Maryland (US) and need to know parts outlets for distributor wires, etc. - probable carburetor replacement as well - or newer carb that would fit.

Can an original carb be brought back to life?

Never restored a bike before, but this one's too nice to discard.

Thank you very much for your consideration.

Chris

Loads of parts available, here and elsewhere, to bring an '82 GS1100G back to life. The most important part is mechanical ability and/or the willingness to learn. If i can do it, anyone can!

Comment

Pic's are nice. What does the bike need. At the low prices nice ones fetch around here( I just purchase a clean low milage same model for $1400) , got to look close on cost v/s reward on a bike. Realistic evaluation of your skill level and time constraints. If you are using a shop to do some work , ask price/ $/hr shop charge. Just cleaning/rebuild a bank of carbs will be 200+. Need tires add a couple 100. Fresh fluids ... Need cables? recovering a seat... Need fresh paint... nothing like having a $3000 bike that at best can sell for $1500. That said I have a 64 Dodge I am in at least $15k and it needs paint & upholstery and at best I could get 8k cause it is a four door sleeper. All that said on some projects it is the restoring that is the fun. If you have space , buying a parts bike is alway a good option.
      Last edited by Guest; 07-16-2017, 10:00 AM.

Comment

All you need for your carbs is a can of Berryman's carb dip, o-rings from www.cycleorings.com, and the carb rebuild procedures found at http://members.dslextreme.com/users/bikecliff
        sigpic
        Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
        1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's
        2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
        Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
        and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Keeping it running? its pretty easy to get parts. Making it pretty? those parts are harder to find.
          sigpic Too old, too many bikes, too many cars, too many things

Comment

Working...
          X