Looks like my riding days are done.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looks like my riding days are done.

I have been thinking it might be time to hang up the gear for a bit.Yesterday I decided the passion is gone.Have given the 85 750EF to my friend and will sell the 78 1000.I will be tinkering at the GPz but it's on the back burner.It has been a hard decision but it feels right.Will still check in but not as much.Been a great deal of fun and I still love this place.Keeping the GPz for now is my out if I change my mind

I know that feeling. I've hung up various things after decades, in some cases, when the fire goes out.
    Time to light up something else
    97 R1100R
    Previous
    80 GS850G, 79 Z400B, 85 R100RT, 80 Z650D, 76 CB200

Comment

That's kind of sad to hear, but I guess it may be a common thing with most members in their 50-60s. Take a look at your avatar and remember, "it's much more important than that". I tend to think that when we give up what we've done with passion it ages us. It's a common thing in retirees, unless you find something else that provides that passion. There is always the Vortex, half of them don't ride anymore.
      GSRick
      No God, no peace. Know God, know peace.

Eric Bang RIP 9/5/2018
      Have some bikes ready for us when we meet up.

Comment

The day my passion passes away for motorcycles will likely be the day I pass away... I can't imagine, its so apart of me and defines who I am that if it was gone a huge part of me would be missing.

I understand that the fire just dwindles for some, I already am seeing it with some of my friends, year after year the miles they rack decrease. I'm still hitting or exceeding 20K miles a year... As stated it's apart of my daily life. I ride every day, rain, shine, wind , hail or even snow (I can't ride everyday during the winter months). Last year I only put 3K miles on my cage and nearly 21K on the bikes.

I hope you find a passion to replace it... Some it's family, friends or a new hobby. I hope you find something.

Best,

-Jedz
        Jedz Moto
        1980 Suzuki GS1000G
        1988 Honda GL1500-6
        2018 Triumph Bonneville T120-
        2020 Honda Monkey Z125
        2001 Honda Insight - 65MPG
        Originally posted by Hayabuser
        Cool is defined differently by different people... I'm sure the new rider down the block thinks his Ninja 250 is cool and why shouldn't he? Bikes are just cool.

Comment

I've had shoulder problems for years and it hurts to ride for very long, and somewhere about the 1.5 hour mark the pain level is higher than the thrill level and I call it a day. I could probably get a cruiser with a more relaxed seating position, but for now I keep trying new handle bars, cruise control gadgets, and riding more to build up a higher pain tolerance... I'm just not ready to give up yet. Ive got a 3 hour ride coming up and have been riding allot in the evenings to loosen up my shoulder and taking allot of Advil. lol.
          1982 GS1100E "Jolene"

Comment

Change can be good. We evolve and our passions shift over our lifetime. Self-awareness is a very good thing.
            "Thought he, it is a wicked world in all meridians; I'll die a pagan."
            ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
            1982 CB900f

Comment

If you don't mind me asking how old are you? Could you revisit riding down the road, a year or two? I hate to hear when people hang it up for good.

Comment

It may me a wise decision. But you will miss it after a while.
                NO PIC THANKS TO FOTO BUCKET FOR BEING RIDICULOUS

Current Rides: 1980 Suzuki GS1000ET, 2009 Yamaha FZ1, 1983 Honda CB1100F, 2006 H-D Fatboy
                Previous Rides: 1972 Yamaha DS7, 1977 Yamaha RD400D, '79 RD400F Daytona Special, '82 RD350LC, 1980 Suzuki GS1000E (sold that one), 1982 Honda CB900F, 1984 Kawasaki GPZ900R

Comment

Maybe after a brief hiatus - you will come back to it...

Best wishes on your future endeavors regardless.
                  Currently in the Stable :
                  2002 Honda Goldwing GL1800 Sunburst Pearl Orange
                  1983 Suzuki GS850 GL Blue & Black

" I am never lost until I run out of fuel...until that moment I am EXPLORING."
                  - Carl R. Munkwitz

Munk's Maxim: "There is no such thing as a cheap motorcycle"

Comment

I have voluntarily and involuntarily quit Motorcycling a few times. When my Daughter was born I swore of em. I thought how responsible am I to do something that is life threatening when I have a wee bitty one to look after. I have been riding road bikes since about 16.

It lasted 2 years and change and every spring I would hear the bikes here and there and I was miserable. Bought another. DR650 that HATED cold but I got my daughter involved ASAP

I was miserable without a bike and there is a whole lot of life threatening activities we do everyday sooooo

Lost my med insurance and gave it up for a bit .. couldnt stick to it
                    Recently I gave up my good paying career and decided out of the rat race and cut everything I thought was extraneous from my budget and one of the things to go was my bike.. then a Triumph Bonnie. Was almost five years ago and just recently bought the GS 750.

I have tried to walk away ... honestly ... I just cant. I am so happy cruising along. Now that I am older and the desire to push the limits is pretty much quelled and I can happily tot around at 45 and just enjoy the sound I swear I think I enjoy more than ever.

Long story all to say ... Sometimes ya need to get away from something .... but I think it is SMART as hell to just keep one around ... you know .. just in case!!
                    Last edited by Guest; 12-10-2017, 11:02 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Boriqua View Post
                      I was miserable without a bike and there is a whole lot of life threatening activities we do everyday sooooo

Lost my med insurance and gave it up for a bit .. couldnt stick to it
                      Recently I gave up my good paying career and decided out of the rat race and cut everything I thought was extraneous from my budget and one of the things to go was my bike.. then a Triumph Bonnie. Was almost five years ago and just recently bought the GS 750.

I have tried to walk away ... honestly ... I just cant. I am so happy cruising along. Now that I am older and the desire to push the limits is pretty much quelled and I can happily tot around at 45 and just enjoy the sound I swear I think I enjoy more than ever.

Long story all to say ... Sometimes ya need to get away from something .... but I think it is SMART as hell to just keep one around ... you know .. just in case!!
                      I'll 2nd that! Riding is what I do. I don't need any "I wish I had done" in the back of my mind.
                      All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

Sorry to hear that Greg. You are smart to keep one around just in case. Sometimes life just gets too busy and things get put on the back burner.
                        I've decided to sell off three of mine and pare down to just the Skunk. In the end that's all I'll need anyway.
                        De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

I'm new to these forums, signed up yesterday. This is an excellent site with lots of useful information, thanks to those who make it happen.

SVSooke's thread is timely. Here's a bit of my story:

I owned a 1982 GS1100GL back in late 80's until 1991. On the day after my first son was born, I sold the bike. Tough decision but, given all factors, I needed to do it. That bike was my day to day transportation. Rode it to school, to work, around town and took my honey to the mountains on the weekends. I have to say it was a difficult transition getting back into a car. Damn, I missed that bike!

Fast forward to recently when I finished getting my youngest through college. Once that happened, I got a hankering to ride again. So I started to look, and lo and behold, what do I find for sale right nearby?: A carbon copy of the 1982 GS1100GL that I sold 26 years ago--even the same color. The bike is in very good shape, running well and, besides a small ding or two here and there, road ready.

Yesterday I picked out a user name: 1MoreX, as in One More Time....

Comment

Hell, I haven't ridden on the street in three years. I'm down to two bikes, and both of them are in pieces right now. I've done a few track days and a race school. I can't imagine right now giving up bikes though. It's what I think about to keep me from going insane. lol.

Comment

Gave up bikes at 30. Gave them up again at 38, then again at 42. I now have 2 bikes and have no thoughts of giving them up. I love them. Even if it's just looking at them. I know guys in their 70s on dirt bikes! That's how I want to be, but on street bikes.

1982 GS1100 G converted by Motorcyclist magazine in 1986 to be a tribute to the Wes Cooley replica. 1982 Honda 900F. 1997 Yamaha VMax.
                              Also owned: 1973 Kawasaki Z1 900, 1972 Honda 750 K, 1976 Yamaha XS 650, 1980 Kawasaki KZ 1000 MKII, 1978 Kawasaki SR 650. Current cage is a 2001 Mustang Bullitt in Dark Highland Green. Bought new in Sept. 2001.

Comment

Working...
                              X