Stuff you have been putting off for winter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stuff you have been putting off for winter

It's starting to get chilly here and I'm probably going to park my GS750 for the foreseeable future and go GS450 only in order to get started on my winter refresh list. Here's some stuff I have been putting off for the past couple of months:

- New intake boots
    - Extract and replace broken CCT bolt (maybe rebuild the CCT)
    - Valve adjustment
    - Airbox overhaul
    - Fix tach (keeps snapping cables)
    - Clean up and `defog' gauges
    - Replace screws holding on the cam cover caps (I strip the head of one every time I take valve cover off, even with impact driver, and barely tightening them down)
    - Replace leaky half-moons
    - Clean up some electrical stuff
    - Finish fixing rear turn signal after somebody knocked the bike over
    - Re-enforce cracked headlight bucket
    - Patch exhaust and install studs to replace the bolts
    - New clutch springs
    - Paint triple trees and maybe a couple other bits
    - General clean up and maybe a bit of polishing (will try to not get carried away)

What do you have on your "winter refreshment" lists? Not full on projects, just stuff you might have been blowing off for your daily rider.

Here's some pictures of the bike just to make this post a little more interesting (plus I just bought a digital camera that I've been playing with, a Sony a6000)

Cleaned the under seat area the other day which was very satisfying

1980/1981 GS450 - GS500 Cylinder + Piston Swap - "De-L'ed", custom seat, CB350 bits, 18" rear, etc.
    1977 GS550
    1977 GS750 - Cross country trip thread

I recently got a tail trunk to match my Vetter bags and windjammer. I plan to clean it up and rewire the lights before putting it on the bike.

Winter is not much fun in my garage, nor is summer (no insulation). Somewhere in between like fall and spring makes for a nice working temperature. Fall is almost done so I may be looking down the road a bit for this. Then again a small project like this can easily be done in the house....
    Roger

Current rides
    1983 GS 850G
    2003 FJR 1300A
    Gone but not forgotten 1985 Rebel 250, 1991 XT225, 2004 KLR650, 1981 GS850G, 1982 GS1100GL, 2002 DL1000, 2005 KLR650, 2003 KLX400

Comment

I plan to swap engines since the current one leaks (and burns) a bit of oil. Replace the petcock since it is very hard to turn the lever. And last thing to do is to see if i can fix the tachometer as the needle is not as steady as it once was. Once I get all that done, I may tear into the engine that I took out and take a look around and see if it is worth fixing.

Good thing is every winter, my list of things to do on the bike keeps getting smaller...

Comment

I have an 2008 GSX650F that I want to build into some sort of retro inspired bike... Needs paperwork to be road legal... Likely Liquidate in the Spring.

I have RD200 that needs paint and has a horrible smoking issue which needs to be resolved... Clean it up, get it running good with fresh paint and decals, flip in the spring

My XR1200 needs some custom racks for Givi top luggage and maybe some metal side cases... I plan to rack some big miles on the HD next year...
        Jedz Moto
        1980 Suzuki GS1000G
        1988 Honda GL1500-6
        2018 Triumph Bonneville T120-
        2020 Honda Monkey Z125
        2001 Honda Insight - 65MPG
        Originally posted by Hayabuser
        Cool is defined differently by different people... I'm sure the new rider down the block thinks his Ninja 250 is cool and why shouldn't he? Bikes are just cool.

Comment

..... need to determine the way forward with my bike.... bent frame... I think. I want to try to take measuements, etc and find out where. Potential frame swap upcoming.
          sigpic
          When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
          -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
          -Rusty old scooter.
          Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
          https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
          https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

My 1100g keeps breaking tachometer cables as well and I want to confirm that the cable is routed as it should be. I've had to open up several gauges because of loose screws and fogged glass. It's not that hard to gently peal the bezel back to get at them. Every one I've done since the first loose screw I make sure to lock tight the screws, wither they need it or not.

I have an exhaust leak where 2&3 connect to the outer pipes and I want to get this taken care of. Hopefully I don't shear off a bolt in the process.

I'm wanting to strip off my Shoei faring and Vetter top case, saddle bag rack and get the bike back to totally stock configuration.

My 650g needs it's headlight bulb upgraded to an LED unit from ADVMonster. I need to see if I can improve voltage output of the R & R by replacing a melted 7 or 9 connector in the headlight. I did this on the 1100g on top of changing the R & R , Stator and single point ground and have a solid (14.3v) charging system. The 650g tops out at 13.5 volts and at a stop the blinkers won't flash when the brake lever is pulled it. Just need to go through the system again to get max out of it. Never left me stranded in the 8 years I've owned it. I should also replace the R & R to a Series unit like I did in the 1100g. I already changed the connectors and fabricated an adapter plate for that type of unit.

My new to me 06, Triumph Sprint ST needs it's charging system checked, lights upgraded and valves adjusted.

Nice to see you riding and wrenching on these bikes. Good luck with that list!
            sigpic
            83 GS1100g
            2006 Triumph Sprint ST 1050

Ohhhh!........Torque sweet Temptress.........always whispering.... a murmuring Siren

Comment

heh, I always have a list for winter, then put it off till the spring 'cause it's just too damn cold in the garage. Maybe THIS year.......
              1983 GS 1100 ESD

Comment

Originally posted by greg78gs750 View Post
                heh, I always have a list for winter, then put it off till the spring 'cause it's just too damn cold in the garage. Maybe THIS year.......
                I see you live in Michigan. Spend a few pennies and get a torpedo heater for the garage (I got one off of CL for $40 and it included a 5 gallon plastic kerosene tank and a dolly to move it around with). Or go large, and install a natural gas wall heater. My wife and I like to joke that she married me for my beast snow blower (early 70's era 30" auger style Ariens) and I married her for the heated garage. I will tell you this...before the heated garage I planned my major wrenching projects during warmer weather. Now that I have one, I plan them for the winter months. Because let's face it, the riding season is fairly short here in Michigan.

Cheers,
                Mike

Comment

My winter to-do list includes removing and replacing the valve stem seals so I can reduce the amount of oil I go through. Also plan on stripping the tank to bare metal to see if a PO has bondo-ed over where the tank badges belong. Of course, this means I will also be repainting the tank.
                  Then to check for wear on the bushings in the forks to make it stop oscillating on the right hand curves.

Seems like a small list that could easily be done in just a few days but will likely take me most of the winter to accomplish.
                  Larry

'79 GS 1000E
                  '93 Honda ST 1100 SOLD-- now residing in Arizona.
                  '18 Triumph Tiger 800 (gone too soon)
                  '19 Triumph Tiger 800 Christmas 2018 to me from me.
                  '01 BMW R1100RL project purchased from a friend.

Comment

I started Monday by moving 4 of the 5 bikes out of my garage and cleaning out the center. (Actually looking for 2 brackets for my GPz).
                    Now working on selling some of the extra parts I've accumulated and know I won't use. Then, work my way thru the bikes

DRz starting issuee
                    DR carb issue
                    Reassemble the GPz (started with a fork seal replacement and front end cosmetics, found that the battery had leaked all over the back).
                    78 brake issues
                    79 electrical and fab brackets for the S fairing, then create a dash
                    Then, start with the Ducati, which needs a complete tear down after sitting for 20 years
                    1978 GS 1000 (since new)
                    1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
                    1978 GS 1000 (parts)
                    1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
                    1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
                    1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
                    2007 DRz 400S
                    1999 ATK 490ES
                    1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Basically doing a clean up on the 1000 this winter. Mechanical stuff will be to pull the clutch basket and deal with the noisy damper springs and replace the nut with an 1150 one. There's a funny noise in the top end I need to investigate, probably new cam chain and pull the tensioner to have look. The spokes (still original) are no longer looking that great and have a rear set on the shelf so maybe order a front set and re-lace the wheels. Bikes working good so really doesn't need much ...just getting fussy in my old age. On yeah, tires again as well.
                      '84 GS750EF (Oct 2015 BOM) '79 GS1000N (June 2007 BOM) My Flickr site http://www.flickr.com/photos/soates50/

Comment

I have a long list as well, but just wanted to comment on the clean crisp pictures you posted. That camera is amazing, it makes me feel like I am right there looking at your bike.

Comment

I do tons of work to my FZ1 during riding season to keep it up to par. Will probably go through the rear suspension and get the Penske rebuilt, which won't take more than four hours. Did the forks last week.

What have I been putting off till winter? Hiking, Lots of hiking. I avoid it in warm temps, but it's my moto substitute when its cold and becomes very addictive once you start. Will be heading out in a few moments for my fix.

Comment

Need to replace the fuel valve on the 850 as well as extract 2 broken exhaust bolts. Next new fork seals and breaks for Suzie Q. Lastly, break in the new rear tire on the 919.

Guess which will be most fun.

V
                            Gustov
                            80 GS 1100 LT, 83 1100 G "Scruffy"
                            81 GS 1000 G
                            79 GS 850 G
                            81 GS 850 L
                            83 GS 550 ES, 85 GS 550 ES
                            80 GS 550 L
                            86 450 Rebel, 70CL 70, Yamaha TTR125
                            2002 Honda 919
                            2004 Ural Gear up

Comment

Originally posted by greg78gs750 View Post
                              That fits my scenario, as well.

I installed an electric heater above the bike, but have only used it once in winter For small jobs it is OK, but for larger ones, not so much.

I have to replace brake pads and that's it.

Weather has been exceptionally warm so far (although yesterday it was minus 14C and right now it is minus 9) but there has been only trace amounts of snow and no sand on the roads. We should get single plus digits next week, so I can keep riding for a while
                              "If you scare people enough, they will demand removal of freedom. This is the path to tyranny."
                              Elon Musk Jan, 2022

Comment

Working...
                              X