Katana 3.0

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Katana 3.0

Shown a EICMA. Pic from Asphaul & Rubber.

The 2017 EICMA show has come and gone, and with it our glimpse at the new motorcycles that will arrive for the next model year, and beyond. EICMA week has always been my Super Bowl, as it culminates the year's work, and also sets the tone for the upcoming riding season. Beyond just my limited world though, EICMA sets the trends and the expectations of the motorcycle industry. There is no trade show in our two-wheeled microcosm that has a larger influence than EICMA. So, while all the new models that we just saw are the week's big headlines, it is really the trends and movements that will dictate the future of the motorcycle industry. For this round of the EICMA show, three major trends presented themselves in Milan, along with a few more notable occurrences.

suzuki-katana-concept.jpg
    1983 GS1100E project

Originally posted by Tripledij View Post
    Shown a EICMA. Pic from Asphaul & Rubber.

The 2017 EICMA show has come and gone, and with it our glimpse at the new motorcycles that will arrive for the next model year, and beyond. EICMA week has always been my Super Bowl, as it culminates the year's work, and also sets the tone for the upcoming riding season. Beyond just my limited world though, EICMA sets the trends and the expectations of the motorcycle industry. There is no trade show in our two-wheeled microcosm that has a larger influence than EICMA. So, while all the new models that we just saw are the week's big headlines, it is really the trends and movements that will dictate the future of the motorcycle industry. For this round of the EICMA show, three major trends presented themselves in Milan, along with a few more notable occurrences.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]53267[/ATTACH]

The problem for Suzuki is they cheapened the Katana name when they used it for their second tier bikes in the 90s.

There are a lot of interesting retro bikes being considered and in some case rolled out this year. I'm skeptical that curmudgeons will part with their retirement money to buy one. Hope I'm wrong.

Comment

Interesting.

Would like to see how the 3-wheel Niken can handle something like the Isle of Man course.

The Moto Guzzi V85 platform looks interesting but Moto Guzzi badly needs to do something about their dealership network for me to be interested.
      Western PA used to have one dealership & now we are down to zero dealerships.

Am curious about the “great and interesting bikes in Suzuki’s development pipe”.
      Would like to see a modern T500, perhaps a TU500X.

Comment

I find the new Katana Concept interesting. We'll have to see how it performs, if they proceed with it.
        1978 GS1000E
        1980 GS1000S (Wes Cooley Replica)
        1981 GS1100E
        1982 GS1100E
        1982 GS1000SZ
        1983 GS1100ED
        1983 GS1100ESD
        1978 Honda CB750K
        1981 Honda CB900F

Comment

At least the Guzzi is easily the best looking. You could carry a spare bike between the seat & tire on that Katana. Ugly.
          Last edited by wymple; 11-14-2017, 12:17 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by isleoman View Post
            The problem for Suzuki is they cheapened the Katana name when they used it for their second tier bikes in the 90s.

There are a lot of interesting retro bikes being considered and in some case rolled out this year. I'm skeptical that curmudgeons will part with their retirement money to buy one. Hope I'm wrong.
            But it's us young bucks that are buying these motorcycles and in turn dictating what the market is now offering... We love the look of a classic bike... But we hate the old tech. Fuel injection, Radial brakes, ABS, proper suspension components, latest and greatest in powertrains... Must I go on?

I'll be buying a retro in the next couple of years. the Z900RS is now right no the top of the list, the new CB1000R is also awesome... Come on Suzuki re-release the GS! I love my TU250X... Homage to the past but totally a modern motorcycle through and through.

I picked up my XR1200 for I got a good trade for my Street-Rod 750 and it will hold value better too but if Indian releases a FTR1200... I'm trading up, even if it comes out next year.

I'm coming into the dawn of now being able to buy new motorcycles (33). My coin is dictating where the market goes. Nice to cast some votes these days!
            Last edited by Jedz123; 11-14-2017, 12:53 PM.
            Jedz Moto
            1980 Suzuki GS1000G
            1988 Honda GL1500-6
            2018 Triumph Bonneville T120-
            2020 Honda Monkey Z125
            2001 Honda Insight - 65MPG
            Originally posted by Hayabuser
            Cool is defined differently by different people... I'm sure the new rider down the block thinks his Ninja 250 is cool and why shouldn't he? Bikes are just cool.

Comment

Not too shabby from that camera angle. Reminds me of some of the nicer resto customs I've seen.
              Project Bike - 1977 GS750

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Dwayne
                The reason I bought a TU250 was it conforms to the K.I.S.S. principle (air cooled single with EFI). I would have preferred it being at least 400cc, but even as a 250 it is a great urban ripper (once I cafe'd it and removed excess weight).
                Gotta agree with that. A 450-500 TU would be the perfect mid size go anywhere, do anything bike.
                Last edited by earlfor; 11-14-2017, 04:14 PM.
                All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

Originally posted by earlfor View Post
                  Gotta agree with the. A 450-500 TU would be the perfect mid size go anywhere, do anything bike.
                  Second that!
                  They do have the SR400 BUT it's only kick start.... and $5K :/
                  Jedz Moto
                  1980 Suzuki GS1000G
                  1988 Honda GL1500-6
                  2018 Triumph Bonneville T120-
                  2020 Honda Monkey Z125
                  2001 Honda Insight - 65MPG
                  Originally posted by Hayabuser
                  Cool is defined differently by different people... I'm sure the new rider down the block thinks his Ninja 250 is cool and why shouldn't he? Bikes are just cool.

Comment

Working...
                  X