Non political gun question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Non political gun question

If you have a Concealed carry permit ... How are you carrying when out riding? AZ has very liberal gun laws to include open carry but I prefer concealed. I have been thinking about something like this

The Hill People Gear Kit Bag is a platform for concealed carry of a handgun in the backcountry. Carrying on the waist isn't an option when you're wearing

So are you carrying crossdraw, strongside, thumb break leather or kydex. I just feel like kydex doesnt have the retention for riding that inspires confidence.

A bit off the subject, but your question brings to mind another question. I was not aware a concealed carry permit was required to carry a gun in woods.
    All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

Originally posted by Boriqua View Post
      If you have a Concealed carry permit ... How are you carrying when out riding? AZ has very liberal gun laws to include open carry but I prefer concealed. I have been thinking about something like this

The Hill People Gear Kit Bag is a platform for concealed carry of a handgun in the backcountry. Carrying on the waist isn't an option when you're wearing

So are you carrying crossdraw, strongside, thumb break leather or kydex. I just feel like kydex doesnt have the retention for riding that inspires confidence.
      Pocket holster zipped into the thigh pocket of my riding pants. Don't want a lump of metal anywhere near my ribs, kidneys, spine, etc, if I come off the bike.
      Bob T. ~~ Play the GSR weekly photo game: Pic of Week Game
      '83 GS1100E ~ '24 Triumph Speed 400 ~ '01 TRIUMPH TT600 ~ '67 HONDA CUB

Comment

Originally posted by earlfor View Post
        A bit off the subject, but your question brings to mind another question. I was not aware a concealed carry permit was required to carry a gun in woods.
        Some of the state parks here had signs that you had to have a CCW to carry in the park but I am not sure that meant you had to carry concealed. Now I am curious. I dont know about national parks though. We also have a ton of BLM land where you are not only free to carry but shoot.

Batfaam .. good point I stupidly didnt think of.
        Last edited by Guest; 11-28-2017, 12:48 PM.

Comment

I carry in an inside-the-waistband holster behind my right hip, or in a pocket holster in a front pocket. (That's less comfortable and less accessible, but necessary to keep it concealed when I go to work.) I've thought about installing a holster inside the front of my mesh jacket but I haven't gotten around to it yet.

Comment

My smallest gun is a CZ Compact so pocket carry wont work but I may make a square belt bag with a fitted interior and snap flap worn on my right so it doesnt scream gun.

Comment

Do you mean for hunting with a shot gun? That would be really strange.
              Current Bikes:
              2001 Yamaha FZ1 (bought same one back)

Comment

Originally posted by ddaniels View Post
                Do you mean for hunting with a shot gun? That would be really strange.
                I'm puzzled as to what the intent of the requirement is. If a concealed carry permit is required for a fire arm in the woods, then that would be any gun. Does requiring a permit for conceal carry mean any firearm must be concealed, or none need be, but the permit is required for possession. Does a permit only apply to specific weapons?
                All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

Concealed carry permits usually only apply to handguns. So most hunting arms (rifles and shotguns) don't require a permit. Some states allow hunting with handguns, but I can't see them requiring a hunter to carry it concealed.

New York state requires a permit just to own a handgun, but there are different types of permits. You can get a Target & Hunting permit which allows you to carry a handgun openly at a shooting range or while hunting. (It has to be kept unloaded in a case elsewhere.) Or you can get a concealed carry permit which lets you carry the handgun loaded for self defense but it has to be out of sight. I believe you can also carry it openly for hunting, like with the T&H permit.

Originally posted by Boriqua View Post
                  Some of the state parks here had signs that you had to have a CCW to carry in the park but I am not sure that meant you had to carry concealed. Now I am curious. I dont know about national parks though. We also have a ton of BLM land where you are not only free to carry but shoot.
                  I took a quick look at Arizona's state park rules and there's a provision where a park ranger may ask a visitor who has a firearm to leave, or else leave the firearm in the care of the rangers until the visitor is ready to leave, if the ranger thinks the visitor poses a threat. I think that's probably as much to help prevent other visitors from becomong upset at the sight of a gun as it is to keep people from getting shot. But if someone with a concealed carry permit keeps their gun out of sight like they're supposed to, no harm, no foul.

National parks allow carrying of firearms subject to the laws of the state in which the park lies.

Comment

1911 compact in shoulder rig.

V
                    Gustov
                    80 GS 1100 LT, 83 1100 G "Scruffy"
                    81 GS 1000 G
                    79 GS 850 G
                    81 GS 850 L
                    83 GS 550 ES, 85 GS 550 ES
                    80 GS 550 L
                    86 450 Rebel, 70CL 70, Yamaha TTR125
                    2002 Honda 919
                    2004 Ural Gear up

Comment

I'm puzzled as to what the intent of the requirement is. If a concealed carry permit is required for a fire arm in the woods, then that would be any gun. Does requiring a permit for conceal carry mean any firearm must be concealed, or none need be, but the permit is required for possession. Does a permit only apply to specific weapons?

I can speak for Ohio on carrying a firearm. There is no permit required to carry. If you want to carry concealed then a permit is required and that is for handguns. A loaded rifle in the car is considered concealed and therefore illegal.
                      Alan

sigpic
                      Weaned on a '74 450 Honda
                      Graduated to an '82 GS850GL
                      Now riding an '83 GS1100GL
                      Added an '82 GS1100GL

Comment

No requirement for carrying in AZ, but I have never carried around town. I take a pistol when I go camping or trekking deep into the mountains, which means only every couple of months, as most of my hikes are <10 miles. I never carry while riding-either bicycles or motorcycles. If I take up bikepacking, that may change. I don't carry concealed when I carry.
                        "Thought he, it is a wicked world in all meridians; I'll die a pagan."
                        ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
                        1982 CB900f

Comment

I have a cc permit but don't often use it. As for oc, I never understood it for use around town (some locations do not allow it). I consider oc foolish as it can be quite easily taken from you and then used against you. If you don't think anyone can get it, then you obviously are overestimating you ability to withstand a blind attack.

Comment

Im with GS1150 pilot. AZ is very open on its laws. you can open or Conceal without a specific CCW license. I do conceal carry everyday whether I am on my bike, or in the car. I use an IWB holster, and unless your looking for it, you would never see it.

Comment

Wow, I'm in the United Kingdom ... this whole thread is a real eye opener.

Comment

Working...
                              X