• Show
Clear All

Dec. 2017 BOTM.

Congrats, Scott.
    Your 850G is a beauty.
    2@ \'78 GS1000

That is one nice bike!

Ed
    GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
    GS750TZ Parts Bike [Seq#6036]
    GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)
    Originally posted by GSXR7ED
    Forums are pretty much unrecognizable conversations; simply because it's a smorgasbord of feedback...from people we don't know. It's not too difficult to ignore the things that need to be bypassed.

Comment

AGREED, it is.

Comment

Congrats Scott Mr Michigan850Guy.

GReat example of an 850. I can see why that would be invited into center court at Stockbride All Clubs.
        And well deserving for bike of the month.
        Last edited by Redman; 12-03-2017, 10:07 PM.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
        GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Nice, congratulations.
          sigpic
          When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
          -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
          -Rusty old scooter.
          Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
          https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
          https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

Congrats on having a BOTM as your daily rider.
            Larry

'79 GS 1000E
            '93 Honda ST 1100 SOLD-- now residing in Arizona.
            '18 Triumph Tiger 800 (gone too soon)
            '19 Triumph Tiger 800 Christmas 2018 to me from me.
            '01 BMW R1100RL project purchased from a friend.

Comment

Hey Scott, congratulations on BOTM, your bike looks fantastic!

I really like your personal touch of putting the blue stripe in the chrome seat trim!
              1981 GS850G "Blue Magic" (Bike Of The Month April 2009)

1981 GS1000G "Leo" (Bike Of The Month August 2023)

Comment

Originally posted by steve murdoch View Post
                Congrats, Scott.
                Your 850G is a beauty.
                http://thegsresources.com/botm.php
                Thanks for providing a link this very nice 850!
                sigpic
                83 GS1100g
                2006 Triumph Sprint ST 1050

Ohhhh!........Torque sweet Temptress.........always whispering.... a murmuring Siren

Comment

Scott,
                  Nice buy and great job cleaning her up - she looks awesome!
                  Hope you get to spend many safe and happy miles with her.
                  Scott
                  1982 GS1000S #1 bought in 84, #2 gone, #3 in hibernation
                  1983 GS1100ES #1 (bought in 03, July 09 BOM, 65k traded in 17), #2 New daily rider, #3 in hibernation
                  1982 GS1100E Red #1 - Original owner, sold in 93, #2 (Red) sold in 20 to Andy B
                  2018 Gold Wing Tour - new out of the crate 1st non-Suzuki in 38 years
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by steve murdoch View Post
                    Congrats, Scott.
                    Your 850G is a beauty.
                    http://thegsresources.com/botm.php
                    That link will go to whatever is the current botm at the time.

THis link

will go to Dec 2017 botm, Scotts great 850.

GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Scott,

Don't be shy. Come tell us more of the story.

Dave

Comment

Very nice. Shaft drive for the win

Comment

Originally posted by alke46 View Post
                          Congrats on having a BOTM as your daily rider.
                          Well, daily as long as the weather is nice! I'm not as committed as a lot of guys on here, but I do enjoy riding it. Once I finally got it running right (which took a few months and a fair bit of swearing), it is a peach to ride.

Comment

Originally posted by Redman View Post
                            Scott,

Don't be shy. Come tell us more of the story.

Dave
                            This bike is a twin of one I bought new in 1981, and have fond memories of. (I actually bought two 850's new; the first one was a red '79. I initially went in to look at a 750, but I remember the salesman telling me that the 850 was just a much nicer bike, for not that much more money, so I bought an 850 instead. I'm glad I listened to him!)

The years 2008-2014 were especially rough for me, and when I finally got back on my feet financially, I thought it might be nice to reward myself by buying another copy of that blue '81 (it didn't occur to me that it was now 36 years later, and I would be buying a vintage motorcycle, that probably wouldn't be as shiny and reliable as the new ones had been!) I found a nice photo online of one that was very similar to this, and had it for my "wallpaper" on my computer at work for several months as an aspiration.

So one Sunday night (just about exactly a year ago, in fact), I thought "I wonder what I'd find if I did a Google search for a 1981 Suzuki GS850G?" Well, my BOTM is what I found - though it didn't look like it does now, and it didn't run at all (despite the assurances from the salesman that it ran well). I had done things like this before, and learned that a lot of what you find is old ads for things that have long since been sold, so that's what I expected when I called the dealer the next morning. But sure enough, they still had it. When I asked the guy how much they wanted for it, he said "$600". Having already done a little research, I knew that these bikes generally go for around $2000, so I asked him to repeat the price, and he said "$600". I got all excited, but wanted to see more photos of the exhaust and the painted parts, so I had him take a bunch of pictures and email them to me. (The album on Flickr that I've linked below shows those photos). After inspecting them, I called him back (from work!) and bought it with my debit card.

I then had to figure out how I was going to get it from Ames, Iowa to Ann Arbor, MI. I found a guy via Uship who happened to be on his way back home to Dearborn, MI from Fargo, ND. I paid him $350 to deliver it to me (had a really good experience with that service, by the way). As you can see from the photos, we unloaded it in the cold and snow.

So after a couple thousand more dollars and quite a few hours wrenching and polishing, I ended up with my BOTM. It's really satisfying to show and ride. Here's a link to my Flickr album of all the "before" shots. Thanks for all the nice comments, and thanks for reading!

Scott

Comment

Originally posted by 2BRacing View Post
                              Hey Scott, congratulations on BOTM, your bike looks fantastic!

I really like your personal touch of putting the blue stripe in the chrome seat trim!
                              You have a good eye! I don't think that blue is the right shade, but it's pretty close to the color of the blue stripes on the tank and side covers. Does anyone know what color that stripe is supposed to be?

Comment

Working...
                              X