Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

81 GS250... Any personal experience?

Hey guys
    So I did spend about an hour on the search thread looking around for info pertaining to the GS250. There is one for sale in my neck of the woods I could land for around the $300 mark, Goal would be store and flip next spring. "It runs but not right" said the current owner, it has pods so I'm guessing it's not dialed in. 2 to 2 exhuast is intact and in decent shape. Spray canned black. From what I've found its an 8V twin with "26hp ( I can't believe that)" (Is what I could gather from my "search") no issues or concerns were really found. I don't know much about them, looks to be a tad smaller then a GS400. Kinda of a rare bike.
    Is there any good feedback on these bikes? Anyone on here that has handled I'm guessing it's comparable to a Honda CB250 Night Hawk except with a disc front brake. How would you compare it to the single Suzuki 250's (GZ and TU).
    Bike in question:

Thanks for entertaining me!
    Jedz Moto
    1980 Suzuki GS1000G
    1988 Honda GL1500-6
    2018 Triumph Bonneville T120-
    2020 Honda Monkey Z125
    2001 Honda Insight - 65MPG
    Originally posted by Hayabuser
    Cool is defined differently by different people... I'm sure the new rider down the block thinks his Ninja 250 is cool and why shouldn't he? Bikes are just cool.

I did some work on one owned by a friend of a friend.

I'm an enormous galoot, and I thought it had a surprising amount of power for an engine that size. Not a lot, but more than you'd think. Nothing I'd want to take on the highway, but fun around town. The owner wasn't really small either, so IIRC we put a set of mostly worn-out shocks from a GS850 on it just to get a little more spring.

Many parts are shared with the GS400-450 clan, so I was able to find a few things we needed on fleaBay. We scored new tires (IRC Durotour were the only ones in something close to the correct sizes) from American Moto Tire.

Overall, a pretty decent little bike, and small, user-friendly twins are always in demand for new riders and small riders.
    1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
    2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
    2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
    Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

also search GS300. for instance member "ric" had a 300....These also have the GSX engine. ...no doubt you found the shop manual at basscliff's. ...and grab the Haynes manual if you find one-they are still easily available- covers all these twin gsx. 250,300,400... I don't have a 250 or 300 but never noted much difference from my 400s except single tube frame and I was later taught that the carbs are different from mine...with a screen in their mouths ...so you'll have to be careful with a general attitude of swappability.

Comment

I have one, its a great little bike. Its great for running around town, but I think I would be freaked out if I got in one of the freeways here. I had a GS450L that I would take on the freeway, but the 250 lacks the top end. I am running a factory air box and I had to richen the main jets and raise the needle jet to get the bike to respond right, but now it revs freely and will go to redline easily in each gear. Many parts are still available from Suzuki too. I'd grab it for $300.
        1981 Suzuki GS250T
        1982 Yamaha Seca Turbo
        1985 Suzuki GS550E
        2004 Suzuki GSF1200S

Comment

Originally posted by fbody_mike View Post
          I have one, its a great little bike. Its great for running around town, but I think I would be freaked out if I got in one of the freeways here. I had a GS450L that I would take on the freeway, but the 250 lacks the top end. I am running a factory air box and I had to richen the main jets and raise the needle jet to get the bike to respond right, but now it revs freely and will go to redline easily in each gear. Many parts are still available from Suzuki too. I'd grab it for $300.
          What is the observable top speed?
          Jedz Moto
          1980 Suzuki GS1000G
          1988 Honda GL1500-6
          2018 Triumph Bonneville T120-
          2020 Honda Monkey Z125
          2001 Honda Insight - 65MPG
          Originally posted by Hayabuser
          Cool is defined differently by different people... I'm sure the new rider down the block thinks his Ninja 250 is cool and why shouldn't he? Bikes are just cool.

Comment

Not sure on the top speed, it has an 85 MPH speedo that it will peg out with a long enough stretch, so I would hazard a guess at 90. I have a open highway that I normally ride this bike on and I cruise at 65, with some quick runs up to the upper 70s, but the bike starts to feel like it has not much more to give past the 80 mark.
            1981 Suzuki GS250T
            1982 Yamaha Seca Turbo
            1985 Suzuki GS550E
            2004 Suzuki GSF1200S

Comment

Working...
            X